moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's called expanded abs. Sign shops use it a lot and car companies use it for models sometimes. It's pretty hard to locate and many companies build it. Sintra is my manufacturer. Went to a local wholesale only plastics shop and they are getting me a sheet for 180 which is smoking good! Wednesday next week I'll have my grubby fingers on it. The stuff isn't designed for structural but we'll just see about that. You can screw,router,cut,drill and even finish the edges. No fiberglass or primers this time. Not 100% but I'm willing to make a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How thick is the sheet you're using?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's 3/4. I considered using 1/2 but I was playing with a piece of 1/4 that I located from a local shop and even though it was tough it was a little too pliable. I think 3/4 may be overkill but...

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yup. That the stuff I saw

It's so damn tough. That 1/4 piece I tried breaking with a hammer in a vise. It's impressive! PVC glue amongst other things glues it. I've only read up on it but you have to leave just a little room for expansion and it'll possibly loose shape a little after 140 but not thinking that's a problem. Tuesday or Wednesday I'll be getting it so ill tell you more then I hate to suggest something I haven't used.

Reactions: Tigermark
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's so damn tough. That 1/4 piece I tried breaking with a hammer in a vise. It's impressive! PVC glue amongst other things glues it. I've only read up on it but you have to leave just a little room for expansion and it'll possibly loose shape a little after 140 but not thinking that's a problem. Tuesday or Wednesday I'll be getting it so ill tell you more then I hate to suggest something I haven't used.

I was thinking of something similar so I can replace that soft panel in the back with a hatchback style lift gate. How do you plan on putting a window in, route a channel and glue glass or plexiglass in?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Router and double back the solid windows like I did on the doors. I'm working on a couple ideas on them opening glass is so much more rigid so it's easy I'll do that with front wing window in safety. Rear I'll use poly but it'll have to be reinforced with aluminum or steel because of the span and I'll be using shocks to hold it up I'm thinking

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Router and double back the solid windows like I did on the doors. I'm working on a couple ideas on them opening glass is so much more rigid so it's easy I'll do that with front wing window in safety. Rear I'll use poly but it'll have to be reinforced with aluminum or steel because of the span and I'll be using shocks to hold it up I'm thinking

Sounds like you and I are thinking similar ideas. I'd also like a way to make it wrap around the cage at the end too.

advertisement
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Thanks.. I've got a new build to do.. and refuse to let the socially sensitive run me off! But no jokes from me!! I will say, it's sure not as much fun as it was!!
Guess i missed something.
I hate censorship.

Reactions: JTW
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Cumminspusher - I'd like to see you working in an aftermarket shop developing new products. Is going into business yourself a possiblilty? I mean that seriously.

I wish I could order a set of those doors.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Cumminspusher - I'd like to see you working in an aftermarket shop developing new products. Is going into business yourself a possiblilty? I mean that seriously.

I wish I could order a set of those doors.

Actually me and another member here have been in the preliminary talks about getting something going lol. I'm in if things ever went that way.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7594

Preliminary rear windows underway. Kinda tricky getting form and function combined on this on. It's got to seal and look factory. Lots of angles! Need more beer!

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 28057

Preliminary rear windows underway. Kinda tricky getting form and function combined on this on. It's got to seal and look factory. Lots of angles! Need more beer!

Coors Light needs to sponsor your build! Materials and 1 case a day- Is that good terms?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I wish Honda had decided to go this way. Hard rear doors and back panel. I'm hoping to have a truly enclosed cab and won't stop till it's there.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
IMG 7596
Changed up my plans just a little definitely tricky with the placement of the hinges on factory doors. Different path but still on track. Still trying to keep with the theme of the vehicle.

advertisement