BOX1

P700 No Power

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK, I had my 2016 pioneer 700 for about 2 year, it only has about 500 miles on it. I lost all power, top speed is about 20 mph, I checked the spark arrestor, it looks like new. I also adjust the valves. still no power, top speed on a hill is about 5 mph. Can anyone help.

Reactions: DG Rider
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Mine did that a couple of weeks ago. Baffle had broke loose in the muffler. Replaced the exhaust with HMF and better than new. Found a good deal on the exhaust. Lemme know if that is it and I’ll try to come up with the name of the place I bought from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK, I had my 2016 pioneer 700 for about 2 year, it only has about 500 miles on it. I lost all power, top speed is about 20 mph, I checked the spark arrestor, it looks like new. I also adjust the valves. still no power, top speed on a hill is about 5 mph. Can anyone help.
Check that baffle in the muffler too.

How does it run? I mean...is it sputtering or hesitating?

I hope its not, but what you describe is what others seem to describe when the cam goes out on these. Did you notice how much movement the valves had when you were finding TDC doing the valves?

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2

I hope its not, but what you describe is what others seem to describe when the cam goes out on these. Did you notice how much movement the valves had when you were finding TDC doing the valves?

First I've heard of this "CAM" issue...is this a wide spread problem..have they updated the cam on newer models?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
First I've heard of this "CAM" issue...is this a wide spread problem..have they updated the cam on newer models?
Widespread probably is too strong a word, but it does happen on occasion. @Farmer is the most recent member i can recall. I think if you Google this it goes all the way back to the Rincon and seems to affect machines that idle a lot or are stop/started often. Like farm work.

Some have claimed the cam was updated, but it doesn't seem that way. Whats funny is that the cam sits in a little tray that holds oil, so it shouldn't ever dry start. This is reason #1 why I always checked the valves at the intervals in the manual.

Last edited:
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Widespread probably is too strong a word, but it does happen on occasion. @Farmer is the most recent member i can recall. I think if you Google this it goes all the way back to the Rincon and seems to affect machines that idle a lot or are stop/started often. Like farm work.

Some have claimed the cam was updated, but it doesn't seem that way. Whats funny is that the can sits in a little tray that holds oil, so it shouldn't ever dry start. This is reason #1 why I always checked the valves at the intervals in the manual.

Thanks @DG Rider ... I would think if it was a major issue, Honda would have addressed it by now. I do agree that checking the valves is a must with this motor, as opposed to some other engines where it not as big a deal..this is not an engine that you buy new and never check the valves, as you can get away with that on some other motors. I forgot what my Honda mechanic told me about this engine and the valves when I bought it new, but it was something to do with the cam...but I didn't think much about it at the time...but he said it was critical that you keep the valves adjusted. I have adjusted my valves once since new...and they did need adjustment
Anyway, hope I don't have any issues...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks @DG Rider ... I would think if it was a major issue, Honda would have addressed it by now. I do agree that checking the valves is a must with this motor, as opposed to some other engines where it not as big a deal..this is not an engine that you buy new and never check the valves, as you can get away with that on some other motors. I forgot what my Honda mechanic told me about this engine and the valves when I bought it new, but it was something to do with the cam...but I didn't think much about it at the time...but he said it was critical that you keep the valves adjusted. I have adjusted my valves once since new...and they did need adjustment
Anyway, hope I don't have any issues...
That's probably what he was thinking about.

There are several of these out there with 10K+ miles. It's not something I would worry about.

And lets hope @BRK's is something much simpler.

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
As far as the original question of loss of power..if it is not air intake blockage, or exhaust blockage...then fuel delivery would be my next hunt for a problem. Need to hear the engine to better answer this question.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Another thing is he has only 500 miles.. and Farmer is the only cam issue I can remember in almost 5 years and three forums.. and Farmers dealer told him it was a common issue for people the start and stop a lot.I believed it was just bad luck or a bad cam to begin with. I dont believe it was anything @Farmer was doing wrong.
It sounds more like the baffle collapse Or restricted in take.JMO

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mine did that a couple of weeks ago. Baffle had broke loose in the muffler. Replaced the exhaust with HMF and better than new. Found a good deal on the exhaust. Lemme know if that is it and I’ll try to come up with the name of the place I bought from.

Thanks, i will try a New exhaust system, let me know if you found where you bought yours at, always looking for a good deal.

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2

i didn't check on the valve movement when finding TDC, it seems the more gas I give it the slower it goes, it seems to run ok with very little throttle

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2

Some have claimed the cam was updated, but it doesn't seem that way. Whats funny is that the cam sits in a little tray that holds oil, so it shouldn't ever dry start. This is reason #1 why I always checked the valves at the intervals in the manual.

i went to the dealer today, they told me that it sound like the Cam, I do use my pioneer alot around the farm and it does idle all the time.

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
No new updates on this issue yet, Thanks everyone for the help, I think im gonna check the valve movement like someone told me in one of your posts.

Reactions: Mudwing
sek-hunter

sek-hunter

Oct 28, 2013
Hope you figure it out. Here is the exhaust and seller info from eBay. The price showed $238 but I typed in a code they offered and got it shipped for $203. I didn’t see anymore on there but there were a few when I ordered mine. You may contact them direct to see if they have any left.

44bd7c7459ae05f538af697047e457f8

4f1872efae40521a8086840a8a8db9d6

Reactions: BRK and Deluxe700
Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
i went to the dealer today, they told me that it sound like the Cam, I do use my pioneer alot around the farm and it does idle all the time.

I just can't believe that using it "easy" would cause a cam failure. Extended idle can cause several issues, but most riders have idle time or low rev time when riding and start and stop time. If this is a issues with the 700 motor, I can't believe that Honda has not done something about it in all the years this motor has been around. I've always heard this is a very reliable motor, no matter how you use it.... @swsebek says he has only heard of 1 issue in several years.
I will just do my service and keep good oil in it and valves checked and hope for the best..

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ouch, I hope it's not. Mine Idles all the time..
Sorry to hear. DG called it. I was hoping for you it was the baffles.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Are you under warranty yet.??

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!