P700 No Power

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
well Guys, it was the Cam, its gonna cost me 1800.00 for parts and labor, I had 2 different guys take a look at it, 1 guy I trusted real well, and they both told me it was the Cam, I can fix it myself for about 175.00, the cost of the cam. I don't know where the dealers get there price estimates at ???? I may have to buy new lifters and the cam bearing as well, but they are very inexpensive.
I've been watching this thread since you developed your problem. I'm guess there is not much I can do to be proactive about it other then adjusting the valves. I checked them about 600 miles, but I've got a little over 3800 now. They were in spec so like other honda's Ive owned I've just rode it and changed the oil. Is there anyway to check the lobes other then pulling the head or will checking the valves maybe give me a clue into maybe a future cam problem? We've been contemplating upgrading to the 1000 and selling the 700 to my good friend. I don't want to loose a good friendship if the bike is not up to the honda longevity. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and really wish they would put an UN-like button.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
well Guys, it was the Cam, its gonna cost me 1800.00 for parts and labor, I had 2 different guys take a look at it, 1 guy I trusted real well, and they both told me it was the Cam, I can fix it myself for about 175.00, the cost of the cam. I don't know where the dealers get there price estimates at ???? I may have to buy new lifters and the cam bearing as well, but they are very inexpensive.
Very sorry to hear that. I've been on this forum for a few years and I'm not hearing about this happening a lot. As a matter of fact, this is only the second time I can remember.

Hey, you can take pics and give us directions. HondaSxS might reward you with a token gift.

Reactions: swsebek
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

My Honda dealer charged around $800 and after many, many phone calls to Honda the dealer sent us a refund for around half of that for labor. It was literally a check in an envelope with labor refund in the description line.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I've been watching this thread since you developed your problem. I'm guess there is not much I can do to be proactive about it other then adjusting the valves. I checked them about 600 miles, but I've got a little over 3800 now. They were in spec so like other honda's Ive owned I've just rode it and changed the oil. Is there anyway to check the lobes other then pulling the head or will checking the valves maybe give me a clue into maybe a future cam problem? We've been contemplating upgrading to the 1000 and selling the 700 to my good friend. I don't want to loose a good friendship if the bike is not up to the honda longevity. I'm sorry to hear about your troubles and really wish they would put an UN-like button.

I'd call 3800 miles in the clear.

Reactions: tjoreo
B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well...that sucks.
Lifters are mandatory...You will find they are chewed up as well.
My concern would be where did all that metal go? I'd pop the filter And see if there is enough to make up 2 cam lobes or otherwise I'd want to clean the pickup screen as well.

OK, Thanks

B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
My Honda dealer charged around $800 and after many, many phone calls to Honda the dealer sent us a refund for around half of that for labor. It was literally a check in an envelope with labor refund in the description line.

I wish your dealer was close to me, That sounds more realistic.

Reactions: Farmer
B

BRK

May 24, 2018
PA
Ownership

1. 700-2
I still don't believe it was anything you did wrong or your driving style... Bad hardening process sounds more believable.

Any news on this yet?

Yes, it was the Cam. having it replaced now.

Reactions: swsebek
jinx

jinx

Sep 27, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 700-4
I tend to agree with the opinions of others here.
We’ve only had our 700-4 for a little over a year, but I’ve crammed a lot of reading in before the purchase and since.
It honestly sounds like a run of bad cams happened somewhere along the way and some may even be left in backstock still. The occurrences I’ve read about are just too random to be directly pointed at idle time or valve adjustment imo. It could simply be a luck of the draw (or lack of) situation.
500 miles just seems way too early for a good cam to wear out

Reactions: jawquin and swsebek
D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
New on forum. My 2016 700 is now at Honda dealer. I have the same symptoms. Seems like it is in 2nd gear and won’t go to 3rd or 1st. Honda says 97% sure it’s camshaft. Honda also claims operator error for idle time and not letting engine properly warm before putting in gear....BS

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New on forum. My 2016 700 is now at Honda dealer. I have the same symptoms. Seems like it is in 2nd gear and won’t go to 3rd or 1st. Honda says 97% sure it’s camshaft. Honda also claims operator error for idle time and not letting engine properly warm before putting in gear....BS
Sorry to hear that, let us know what you find out.

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
LOL...so what is proper "idle time"? I'd be surprised if Honda said that. I think your dealer is just a cunt.
FWIW, there are a number of things that will cause the machine to go into "limp in", which can lock the machine into 2nd.

Once up to 2nd gear speed, does it seem to run ok?
Any check engine lights?
I don't recall anyone with a cam issue saying it went into limp mode...

D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
LOL...so what is proper "idle time"? I'd be surprised if Honda said that. I think your dealer is just a cunt.
FWIW, there are a number of things that will cause the machine to go into "limp in", which can lock the machine into 2nd.

Once up to 2nd gear speed, does it seem to run ok?
Any check engine lights?
I don't recall anyone with a cam issue saying it went into limp mode...
No check engine lights. Runs great idles smooth. They say it’s not in limp mode. Hits rev limiter at 29mph.

Reactions: DG Rider
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
If it's the cam it will stop moving due to lack of power. Mine never went into limp mode and gave zero warning. Shouldn't have anything to do with any particular gear but who knows. User error claim is BS. These things are designed for many things including farm use which includes short trips and starting and stopping. I mean how many different modern engine designs exist that can endure cold starts, idling and lack of warm up? See also my past comments regarding golf carts. As DG has stated many times on this topic the cam sits in an actual bath of oil which should eliminate ANY cold start, warm up or idling issues. Whoever is making these cams for Honda has quality control issues. I truly hope your's is a different problem. Please get back to us with updates and welcome to the forum! Sorry you had to find us this way but look around the forum, you'll find the Positives of Honda ownership far outweigh the few issues some of us have experienced.

D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
OK, Thanks
No check engine lights. Runs great idles smooth. They say it’s not in limp mode. Hits rev limiter at 29mph.
If it's the cam it will stop moving due to lack of power. Mine never went into limp mode and gave zero warning. Shouldn't have anything to do with any particular gear but who knows. User error claim is BS. These things are designed for many things including farm use which includes short trips and starting and stopping. I mean how many different modern engine designs exist that can endure cold starts, idling and lack of warm up? See also my past comments regarding golf carts. As DG has stated many times on this topic the cam sits in an actual bath of oil which should eliminate ANY cold start, warm up or idling issues. Whoever is making these cams for Honda has quality control issues. I truly hope your's is a different problem. Please get back to us with updates and welcome to the forum! Sorry you had to find us this way but look around the forum, you'll find the Positives of Honda ownership far outweigh the few issues some of us have experienced.
well just spoke with my Honda service manager said they installed new cam and now my compression is back to normal 80psi instead of 115. It’s shifting gears now from first to second to 3rd but hitting rev at 29mph still......my only guess is bad computer since no codes. Any ideas?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
well just spoke with my Honda service manager said they installed new cam and now my compression is back to normal 80psi instead of 115. It’s shifting gears now from first to second to 3rd but hitting rev at 29mph still......my only guess is bad computer since no codes. Any ideas?
So the new cam lowered compression? That's awesome! Maybe they can drill holes in the Piston and get you down to 55psi?

So was the old can worn, or not? I'ma guess not.

I think you really should find another dealer...

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
So the new cam lowered compression? That's awesome! Maybe they can drill holes in the Piston and get you down to 55psi?

So was the old can worn, or not? I'ma guess not.

I think you really should find another dealer...
Old cam was worn out of spec. They said normal psi is 80 and mine was 115 before new cam installed. Supposedly now it’s shifting great from 1,2,and 3 gears but hitting limiter at 29mph. I’m thinking bad reading from speed sensor to computer..... they are going to call me back

Reactions: Mudwing
Conner

Conner

Jan 2, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-2
Old cam was worn out of spec. They said normal psi is 80 and mine was 115 before new cam installed. Supposedly now it’s shifting great from 1,2,and 3 gears but hitting limiter at 29mph. I’m thinking bad reading from speed sensor to computer..... they are going to call me back
Omg..... if that's what they told you then you need a new dealer !

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!