P700 No Power

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like more computer, sensor or transmission issue. If you're hitting rev limit in 2nd gear I don't think the engine is lacking power. Is oil capacity adequate and warmed up? I sure hope you find something. Might send a message or tag hondatech. He is pretty knowledgeable and a great resource.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 500oneer
D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
Sounds like more computer, sensor or transmission issue. If you're hitting rev limit in 2nd gear I don't think the engine is lacking power. Is oil capacity adequate and warmed up? I sure hope you find something. Might send a message or tag hondatech. He is pretty knowledgeable and a great resource.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk
They check oil pressure and levels. And it’s definitely warmed up. They swapped out sensors with new one and still no change. Said they cleared the computer and still nothing.

D

Danbertryry

May 22, 2019
Springfield ohio
I believe I found the problem. So last night I did some easy test that the dealer should have done. I siphoned the gas out to make sure there was no moister in it. Put a couple gallons back in and shook it around. Siphoned it back out put new gas In. Took it for a drive and it shifted all three gears, and went up to 43mph before Reving out. Going to do a pressure test on pump today.....beginning to think the dealer screwed me and that the fuel pump is the problem the whole time, but not sure

Reactions: Farmer and tjoreo
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I believe I found the problem. So last night I did some easy test that the dealer should have done. I siphoned the gas out to make sure there was no moister in it. Put a couple gallons back in and shook it around. Siphoned it back out put new gas In. Took it for a drive and it shifted all three gears, and went up to 43mph before Reving out. Going to do a pressure test on pump today.....beginning to think the dealer screwed me and that the fuel pump is the problem the whole time, but not sure

Awesome that you found it! If I were you I'd be all over that dealer/mechanic. Spark, air and fuel are the basic places to start and now you have a tampered engine because someone failed to start with the easy places 1st.

New cam or not I'd rather have an unmolested engine than something that was cracked open for no reason at all.

Reactions: Mudwing and gch1911
M

mt1950

Jun 5, 2020
Helena,Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Mine is doing the same thing... now power..... starts idles find... no power..... fuel pressure is good 50 psi while running suppose to be 49-51 psi..... compression 80 exactly what it is suppose to be..... don't know about the ECU....but need to know how to test it... this is a Honda and should run forever.... I checked and set the valves... no change...

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seatbelt switch? I know it limits speed to 15mph.

F

Fireflymedic

May 13, 2020
Vernon Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm late to the party and haven't read every post. But sounds like not hitting 3rd gear. I remember reading here somewhere that when changing the oil filter if you dont pry off a washer from old filter and put on new. The spring will eventually rub a hole in filter messing up shifting for some reason. Unless I dreamt that lol. But sounds like you're grasping at straws so might be worth checking.

M

mt1950

Jun 5, 2020
Helena,Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
I'm late to the party and haven't read every post. But sounds like not hitting 3rd gear. I remember reading here somewhere that when changing the oil filter if you dont pry off a washer from old filter and put on new. The spring will eventually rub a hole in filter messing up shifting for some reason. Unless I dreamt that lol. But sounds like you're grasping at straws so might be worth checking.
Agree I am grasping a straws and I will check this also... thanks

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I don't think the 2012 has a seat belt limiter but maybe... what the hell I will check it.... thanks

Am I missing something? The Pioneer came out in 2014. Do you have a Big Red? They had bad cams along with some 4 wheelers also that shared the same engine. My local dealer finally came clean and said he heard it was bad heat treating on a batch of cams. If it turns out to be your cam with low hours/miles, I'd raise hell until they pay for something. Our beloved Honda corporation totally swept this one under the rug.

M

mt1950

Jun 5, 2020
Helena,Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
Am I missing something? The Pioneer came out in 2014. Do you have a Big Red? They had bad cams along with some 4 wheelers also that shared the same engine. My local dealer finally came clean and said he heard it was bad heat treating on a batch of cams. If it turns out to be your cam with low hours/miles, I'd raise hell until they pay for something. Our beloved Honda corporation totally swept this one under the rug.
With the compression being good I am not sure about the cam being bad. ( I keep going there thou). I have ordered a new TPS sensor and IVAC also it is suppose to beep when working properly and doesn't I kinda remember a beep and now none and it is $200 bucks worth of parts but hell I talk to the local Honda shop and they where about a helpful as a box of rocks.... They told me they are 4-6 weeks out to just diagnosis the problem and that could take 2-3 hours at $90 per hour... if it is the cam big money he told me...

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
With the compression being good I am not sure about the cam being bad. ( I keep going there thou). I have ordered a new TPS sensor and IVAC also it is suppose to beep when working properly and doesn't I kinda remember a beep and now none and it is $200 bucks worth of parts but hell I talk to the local Honda shop and they where about a helpful as a box of rocks.... They told me they are 4-6 weeks out to just diagnosis the problem and that could take 2-3 hours at $90 per hour... if it is the cam big money he told me...
Have you checked for exhaust blockage?

Reactions: mt1950 and Mudwing
M

mt1950

Jun 5, 2020
Helena,Montana
Ownership

1. Big Red
I have the service manual here. I can't see the T for the TDC for the engine I do see a line when the engine is a TDC and the valves are loose at that point. I have adjusted them but I didn't rotate the engine around and check the travel of the valves. I will do that next and if the aren't opening to .5 is the lift specs then I guess i will order the parts to replace cam if they do have a lift of .5 then I am back at square 1 do any of you know how to check the PGM-FI unit itself? (I don't have and DTC codes no check engine light)

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The "T" is sideways. There is a pic here...

Reactions: Farmer and Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!