100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On average, how large are the pieces you guys are using for this. the roll I have is 2.5' by 12'. Do y'all think I could tape two pieces together with some flashing sealer?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I think you'll be fine with that width. It's really not necessary to go from the edge of the seat to the top of the rear seat.

Reactions: 100Acre
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
On average, how large are the pieces you guys are using for this. the roll I have is 2.5' by 12'. Do y'all think I could tape two pieces together with some flashing sealer?
I would cover...the whole area..
but that's me
this is Alans....I used this..
for my template...
Downloadfile 31

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Notice......how far up the back...it goes
....kills more..sound/ dust/heat......
you will be....impressed

Reactions: alloutdoors
FuzzyGrub

FuzzyGrub

Sep 19, 2014
Rural NY
www.joefishin.com
Ownership

1. 500
Ordered the 3x4 piece from Amazon yesterday. Thx.

A belated question though: Does it repel water? or do I need to remove it when spraying it down?

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500

A belated question though: Does it repel water? or do I need to remove it when spraying it down?
Remove it.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

I remove mine...they hold
alot of water...check for
mice....nest...in it as well

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
going to try the silver bubble wrap stuff, used on my front storage box and it worked well shielding it from the radiator and I have a ton of it. Also have been looking at some Dynomat heat/noise shield but it is pricey.

RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I tried the fabric/foil combo but the fabric really holds the dirt that gets thrown up towing the P500 on dirt roads out here. I also have the Honda rear panel installed so the fabric was a pain to remove anytime I washed the utv, so I left it in place but the fabric held water. When I finally did take out the fabric, the amount of dirt shaken out of it was amazing. Replaced the fabric/foil with two layers of the foil backed bubble wrap. The heat and noise are reduced and the bubble wrap is easily kept clean without removing it.

Reactions: joeymt33
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
the fabric was a pain to remove anytime I washed the utv, so I left it in place but the fabric held water.

Yeah, that's the only draw back. If you power wash, that thing gets wet and has to be taken out. You can let it set for a week and it still won't dry on its own. Is the bubble wrap stuff as effective at noise and heat reduction as the fabric type?

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried the fabric/foil combo but the fabric really holds the dirt that gets thrown up towing the P500 on dirt roads out here. I also have the Honda rear panel installed so the fabric was a pain to remove anytime I washed the utv, so I left it in place but the fabric held water. When I finally did take out the fabric, the amount of dirt shaken out of it was amazing. Replaced the fabric/foil with two layers of the foil backed bubble wrap. The heat and noise are reduced and the bubble wrap is easily kept clean without removing it.
Will it not melt from the heat? It's called Reflectix BTW

Reactions: trigger
RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
The Reflectix works well against the heat but it's probably not as effective against the noise. I doubled it up to get more noise reduction. It won't melt putting it in place of the fabric under the seat, but it probably would if it was against the heat shield over the engine. I bought a 4' x 10' roll of the stuff from Amazon.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Will it not melt from the heat? It's called Reflectix BTW

Just did a quick 10 min. of research on this stuff. Supposed to reflect the heat just as well as the fabric type but not as effective on noise reduction due to the weight. Weight kills sound, the bubble wrap makes it lighter. Won't hold water like the fabric type but there is a trade off.

The Reflectix works well against the heat but it's probably not as effective against the noise. I doubled it up to get more noise reduction. It won't melt putting it in place of the fabric under the seat, but it probably would if it was against the heat shield over the engine. I bought a 4' x 10' roll of the stuff from Amazon.

Was writing this when you posted.

RDRC

RDRC

Jul 31, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
My hearing is not that great anyway, so I can deal with the noise more than the dirt/water issue.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok, I'm gonna take @Alan 's Idea a couple of steps further and modify the blanket to repel moisture as well as dirt, heat and noise. By cutting both the dampening material to fit as well as the Reflectix/reflecting bubble wrap. both will be identical in length and width plus both will have matching holes for where the roll cage, seat belts and seat attaches. I'll tape all the edges around the circumference as well as tape all the edges within all the matching holes. In theory, this should give it the full spectrum of protection. So, which side should face down, the reflectix, or the gray poly backing of the blanket material?
I wish the blanket material was thicker but this is what I already had on hand. The Aluminum backed Gutter Flashing will be my tape.
PS I made sure to include some feet pictures for all of you foot fetish freaks out there...You know who you are....
Fullsizeoutput a61
Fullsizeoutput a5f
Fullsizeoutput a60

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The foil goes towards the engine which is down. I researched this a little more earlier looking for a better alternative. Ideally something with good sound barrier qualities, foil faced and wouldn't hold water. Best I came up with was foil backed, cellular foam rubber underlayment for hardwood floors. Wouldn't hold water and foam rubber is pretty dense.

Reactions: rocmar and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The foil goes towards the engine which is down. I researched this a little more earlier looking for a better alternative. Ideally something with good sound barrier qualities, foil faced and wouldn't hold water. Best I came up with was foil backed, cellular foam rubber underlayment for hardwood floors. Wouldn't hold water and foam rubber is pretty dense.
pictures?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!