P1000 Noise is unbearable

Hognott

Hognott

Jan 13, 2016
Lakeland, Florida
Traded my perfectly set-up Ranger in on this new Pioneer 1000 deluxe and cannot tolerate the engine/gear noise in the cab. The fun is non-existent !!! Took my 87 year old mother on the maiden voyage. Is my Pioneer unique, or they all obnoxiously loud ?? This thing will be traded or fixed this week !!!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Reactions: CID and red1329
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's so crazy that some people say that it is so quiet compared to other vehicles and some say it's so loud.

I don't have an answer for you buddy. I do know the roof echoes the noise.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also, are you comparing this to another vehicle? I've ridden with friends and we had to wait until we stopped to have a conversation. In the P1000, we can still talk and hear each other.

Edit:
Oops, i forgot you had a ranger....

Reactions: pct
jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
View attachment 11842 Traded my perfectly set-up Ranger in on this new Pioneer 1000 deluxe and cannot tolerate the engine/gear noise in the cab. The fun is non-existent !!! Took my 87 year old mother on the maiden voyage. Is my Pioneer unique, or they all obnoxiously loud ?? This thing will be traded or fixed this week !!!

Why did you trade your perfectly set-up Ranger?

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are loud with the roof on and even louder with a windshield.

Reactions: red1329 and pct
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My Ranger 900 was quiet and so is my Pioneer 1000. I would drive another Pioneer 1000 to see if its the same as yours. I always wear a helmet with a flip up face shield and that cuts down the noise especially the wind noise at speed. Also if you take a big grasshopper hit in the face at speed it will leave a mark.

Hognott

Hognott

Jan 13, 2016
Lakeland, Florida
Why did you trade your perfectly set-up Ranger?

Traded my Ranger because I am normally a Honda fan through and through. The P1k seemed to make sense. Was looking for that Honda reliability !! I'm thinking there has to be something awry here. Will ride in another one to see....

Last edited:
moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my 5 seater deluxe is half as loud as my old rzr, the gearbox does have a bit of a whine to it but its not intolerable by any means

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
my 5 seater deluxe is half as loud as my old rzr, the gearbox does have a bit of a whine to it but its not intolerable by any means
Same here and after I changed the diff fluids to 75-140 synthetic everything quieted down especially as it get broken in over the first 200 miles.

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
Same here and after I changed the diff fluids to 75-140 synthetic everything quieted down especially as it get broken in over the first 200 miles.
My pioneer is super quit compared to my commander I had. I loved the commander but the heat and noise I couldn't stand it that's why I sold it and bought the pioneer. And I am truly impressed with the overall build of the pioneer. And trust me I'm not brand loyal as this is my first Honda.

Hognott

Hognott

Jan 13, 2016
Lakeland, Florida
It's so crazy that some people say that it is so quiet compared to other vehicles and some say it's so loud.

I don't have an answer for you buddy. I do know the roof echoes the noise.

Yes, I've heard the roof makes a huge difference. The one I test drove, prior to purchase did not have a roof. Noise was certainly not an issue on the demo, unnoticeable to the extent it wasn't even thought about, but it was just riding around the dealership.

Looks like the roof comes off rather easy with those fancy Honda clamps. Maybe that would be the easiest path forward to see if it quiets down ?? I will concurrently have a ride with a friend who has the deluxe camo with a roof. He says his is quiet. We'll see. If mine is still overly noisy without the roof, or compared to his with the roof, I'll let the dealer sort it out. My only concern is generally noise is subjective without the proper measuring equipment. What is considered obnoxiously loud to me may be considered acceptable to another...

I appreciate all the feedback....

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
View attachment 11842 Traded my perfectly set-up Ranger in on this new Pioneer 1000 deluxe and cannot tolerate the engine/gear noise in the cab. The fun is non-existent !!! Took my 87 year old mother on the maiden voyage. Is my Pioneer unique, or they all obnoxiously loud ?? This thing will be traded or fixed this week !!!

I had a Teryx and compared to the Honda is like comparing a 747 to a paper airplane. Not saying the Honda is super quiet, but it isn't that loud to me. I guess its all in what you compare it to. I do know however, it is awfully hot in the cab. Just rode it yesterday in 80 degree weather and I know now I will be taking my half windshield off during the summer months. Feels like a heater blowing through the shift lever hole.

Reactions: JACKAL
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Teryx and compared to the Honda is like comparing a 747 to a paper airplane. Not saying the Honda is super quiet, but it isn't that loud to me. I guess its all in what you compare it to. I do know however, it is awfully hot in the cab. Just rode it yesterday in 80 degree weather and I know now I will be taking my half windshield off during the summer months. Feels like a heater blowing through the shift lever hole.
I've only rode in 1 other utv a it was a Teryx and you are being nice when comparing the 2 of them. The Teryx is deafening to ride in at anything over 10 mph. This was the only thing I was worried about when I bought my 700, so within 100 feet of the test drive I was sold. I wouldn't think the 1000 would be any different with everyone's raves about it. Like you said it is all "Perspective".

Reactions: LaVell and JACKAL
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same here. I had same type thread you have here. Gear whine will deafen you above 30. At 50+ it is almost unbearable. Good news for me is I like deep mud and rocks so high speeds aren't the norm.

Reactions: Redmoon
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I still wonder if any of you noticed a increase in sound and heat after full belly skids installed. Maybe a increase in resonation and airflow restriction?

Reactions: Itsalljake
Donnie

Donnie

Dec 18, 2015
SW Missouri
I have Trail Armor skids and a hard roof and I can tell the two sandwich the noise a little. I hardly think it's unbearable though. They make a 2 dollar iphone app that is a decibel meter, buy that and use it to make some objective comparisons.

FWIW, I drove my buddies '15 ranger crew last weekend and I thought his was a BIT quieter, but the engine is wayyyyyyy back there compared to ours lol. I doubt a regular ranger would be any quieter.

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I wonder if the 3 seater with roof would be quieter?

KevinSC

KevinSC

Dec 31, 2015
My three seater is pretty quiet with roof and split front windshield. Now My comparison is against a commander but I can tell you both my girls get in when tired and will go to sleep by the time you get them home from a ten to fifteen minute ride.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!