ACfixer

ACfixer

Global Warming Enthusiast
Lifetime Member
Jan 22, 2021
N/E Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Every SxS I have ever been in and hunted with is a noisebox in some form or another. Some whine, some rumble, but they're all loud. My buddy has a Teryx-4 and man it's a great machine but good lord is that thing loud. He even changed his tires to almost a M/S tread and that helped a bunch at speed on fire roads etc, but still... and he has to swap them out for more challenging terrain of course.

Last edited:
Reactions: TripleB
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 11842 Traded my perfectly set-up Ranger in on this new Pioneer 1000 deluxe and cannot tolerate the engine/gear noise in the cab. The fun is non-existent !!! Took my 87 year old mother on the maiden voyage. Is my Pioneer unique, or they all obnoxiously loud ?? This thing will be traded or fixed this week !!!

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
So did he sell it?

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My 2021 Pioneer 1000 3 seater with hard roof, hard rear cab panel, and fabric upper door panels is noisy also. A cheap pair of outdoor power tool ear muffs works well to muffle most of the noise. Not very elegant but functional.

I've purchased a supply of 1/4" thick self-adhesive automotive heat and sound isolation sheets like hot rod builders use. In a week or two when it's a little warmer in my garage I'm going to remove the seat bottom and back and attach the sound isolation panels to the area behind the seat back and under the seat. I'm hoping this will muffle a lot of the noise.

If the heat and sound insulation sheets work I think I'll find something to attach to the underside of the hard top to absorb rather than reflect more of the noise.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree that the 1000 is among the quieter machines out there... If you think it's bad, go test drive a new Teryx. I like those machines but as soon as you push the go pedal, the noise is crazy.

Youngone

Youngone

Dec 4, 2020
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I pulled my roof off and applied the self adhesive sound proof material. Took a bit of work to get on nice as it sticks quick and rips if pulled off. This helped a lot. Also did under the seat and the pulled off the seat to floor part and did it.

57F4B09C 671A 4721 BE6D 15D297B6B9DE

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I pulled my roof off and applied the self adhesive sound proof material. Took a bit of work to get on nice as it sticks quick and rips if pulled off. This helped a lot. Also did under the seat and the pulled off the seat to floor part and did it.

View attachment 258899
I'm encouraged by your post. That's exactly what I plan to do when it's a little warmer here.

Reactions: ACfixer
R

rockland

May 9, 2018
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Before buying my 2017 p1000, I literally went to dealerships with a noise test as my top priority.... Kubota, Polaris, Kawasaki and Yamaha. The Polaris XP900 was the least noisy, Mule FX and P1000 were about equal, the others I dismissed in under 10 seconds when running.

The ability to change gears early on the Honda helps at low speeds but once adding hard roof and full windshields, the noise was back at Yamaha level. I added carpet using the expensive 3M spray glue but had to screw it on too because the black roof in the sun would soften the glue and caused major sagging, the carpet did help a bit as did car hood liner insulation from the srapyard placed under seats, but the only real solution is to drive slow and change gears early.

I get that these are essentially open air motorcycles but for the price I would have hoped for a little more effort from the engineers on this. It really does annoy just about everyone to some degree, a bit like loud music at a bar you have to shout over, no one likes it, everyone complains about it, there is a fairly simple solution, yet it continues...oh well.

I sold the 1000 and bought a near mint Japanese mini truck, once lifted and trail tires added, it will be no more than a third of the price of my 1000 and is street legal, has heat, AC, a decent bed and damn near silent, but I did like that pioneer.

Reactions: HBarlow and CID
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Before buying my 2017 p1000, I literally went to dealerships with a noise test as my top priority.... Kubota, Polaris, Kawasaki and Yamaha. The Polaris XP900 was the least noisy, Mule FX and P1000 were about equal, the others I dismissed in under 10 seconds when running.

The ability to change gears early on the Honda helps at low speeds but once adding hard roof and full windshields, the noise was back at Yamaha level. I added carpet using the expensive 3M spray glue but had to screw it on too because the black roof in the sun would soften the glue and caused major sagging, the carpet did help a bit as did car hood liner insulation from the srapyard placed under seats, but the only real solution is to drive slow and change gears early.

I get that these are essentially open air motorcycles but for the price I would have hoped for a little more effort from the engineers on this. It really does annoy just about everyone to some degree, a bit like loud music at a bar you have to shout over, no one likes it, everyone complains about it, there is a fairly simple solution, yet it continues...oh well.

I sold the 1000 and bought a near mint Japanese mini truck, once lifted and trail tires added, it will be no more than a third of the price of my 1000 and is street legal, has heat, AC, a decent bed and damn near silent, but I did like that pioneer.
An excellent report. Sad but true.

I have significant hearing loss and wear hearing protector ear muffs when driving the P1000 and still find the noise level unbearable.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
An excellent report. Sad but true.

I have significant hearing loss and wear hearing protector ear muffs when driving the P1000 and still find the noise level unbearable.
I wear the generic foam ear plugs and they work really well for me. The reality of how loud these things are sets in when I take my ear plugs out and drive! It's like... I cannot believe the gubberment allows them to be sold!!!

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't want the government telling me what I can or cannot buy. Perhaps we should say, "I can't believe we buy these damned things."

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I just discovered an excellent but not perfect solution to the unbearable noise level in my P1000.

After reading the post above by 08610silverado I remembered. My hearing loss is so severe I can't understand the dialogue on television.

I bought an expensive Bose noise cancelling headphones about two years ago so I could listen to television. It connects to a smart tv using Bluetooth technology. Yes, very expensive but necessary for me to hear.

I decided to try using my Bose headphone in the Pioneer. It works very well. I put the headphones on, seat belt on, started the buggy and heard all the usual motor noise. I reached up and flipped the switch on the right ear muff and suddenly the noise stopped. I thought for a moment the motor had stalled. That's the magic noise cancelation capability of the Bose headphone.

Motor and wind noise are silenced. I still hear the noisy mechanical sound of the gear train and some tire hum and drumming from the cheap tires but no motor or wind noise. I ran it up to 50 mph. The noise level in the dab was cut dramatically.;'

I think my tire questions are resolved. Instead of buying another expensive set of tires to mount on the Deluxe wheels I'll just take my Bose headphones when I drive the Pioneer. The Bose headphones are a lot cheaper than more tires!

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Welcome to the forum!
nice write up and alot of chit and things not to like about our machines in there for a first post!
you have pics of this stuff?
pics or it didnt happen! :cool: 🤟

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
Jacks

Jacks

Jan 6, 2020
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
10 year old grandson was over this weekend for Easter and i let him drive my P1000 around. He drives his other grandpa's Ranger around back home. All's he could talk about was how smooth and quiet mine was compared to the Ranger. Of course he never got above 30 mph with it.

R

rockland

May 9, 2018
ontario
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum!
nice write up and alot of chit and things not to like about our machines in there for a first post!
you have pics of this stuff?
pics or it didnt happen! :cool: 🤟
Thanks, unfortunately I did not take photos before selling the 1000. The seat insulation was similar to what a fellow on the forum called Trigger has created for the 500, but I used an under the hood heat shield fabric from the scrap yard. It was a bugger to shape but that coupled with the cabin comfort rubber mat Honda installed for free under recall, it made a noticeable difference. As well as a mini truck, I did replace the 1000 with a 500, very pleased with it and continue to be impressed with this forum as a resource.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

View attachment 258899

What is that material and where did you buy it?

What did you use for adhesive?

I talked with the owner of a local auto upholstery shop yesterday about doing something similar to my P1000. He said if the buggy is out under the sun on a warm day the black roof will absorb heat which will soften the adhesive and allow anything I glue to the underside of the roof to separate and fall.

What is your experience with it?

Reactions: CID
red1329

red1329

Mar 4, 2021
central il
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I've heard the roof makes a huge difference. The one I test drove, prior to purchase did not have a roof. Noise was certainly not an issue on the demo, unnoticeable to the extent it wasn't even thought about, but it was just riding around the dealership.

Looks like the roof comes off rather easy with those fancy Honda clamps. Maybe that would be the easiest path forward to see if it quiets down ?? I will concurrently have a ride with a friend who has the deluxe camo with a roof. He says his is quiet. We'll see. If mine is still overly noisy without the roof, or compared to his with the roof, I'll let the dealer sort it out. My only concern is generally noise is subjective without the proper measuring equipment. What is considered obnoxiously loud to me may be considered acceptable to another...

I appreciate all the feedback....

a project I'm going to dive into this summer is to actually put boat carpet on the roof. if you remember your ranger had a nice foam and carpet roof. it makes a huge difference!!

I've actually made a wood roof inside my plastic roof. the plan is to put hard foam between the plastic roof and the wood roof. then I'm going to put in a dome light and sound system.
then carpet wrap the wood roof to make a nice finished noise stopper.

if you look close in the pictures you can see it.. I started the project last fall and just the peace of wood makes its less noisy.
it bolts in where the net use to. so i didn't have to modify the roll cage or buy anything to do this. the noise is bad with just a roof and windshield.... with this full cab its horrible! ill be gluing carpet to the rear cab panel and doors as well to help with this.

Harvey

Harvey

Mar 14, 2018
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I totally agree the pioneer 1000 is loud and transmission is noisy, I did try running shell rotella 15 40 diesel oil seemed to make some difference, we also changed out the tires to dot 28 inch more of a road tread . That helped as well. But it just seems the trans is loud , I not sure maybe the dual dac trans and the cut of the gears . But I also have a Polaris rzr belt drive big difference and it is quite . But different drove system . I will put up with a little noise . I like my Honda it pulls and pushes boats we launch and load nothing compared to it .

20210317 135021 20181003 103156

J

Jim Carlson

Jul 6, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 1000-5 was just ok until I had my oil changed. Now its crazy loud. maybe I should have had them put in a thicker oil?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!