Now, This Is Getting Ridiculous!

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Okay, so now I know the lug nuts for the Pioneer 500 is M12 x 1.5 size. So, I order a new set of same to replace the M10 x 1.25 that came with my STI HD3 Machined wheels (which was my fault for not paying attention). So, everything is just hunk-y-dory now right.....WRONG!!
The new M12 x 1.5 lugs came in the mail yesterday, great service! Guess what? They are not long enough to allow a 19mm/3/4" socket to engage them. The socket hits the wheel surface and there is not enough clearance on the wheel holes to allow the socket to clear to reach further down on the lug.
Am I just unlucky, or so stupid as to not know there is a third component (besides thread diameter 12 and pitch 1.5), that being the required length of the lug nut? I've looked all over the wheel company sites and see nothing stating a minimum length for the lugs.
The ones I got are 1.4" long with a bulb top (yes, with a 60 degree tapered seat) and it looks like I would need something closer to 2"long.
Any sage advise, other than sell my 500 and give up?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
They make nuts with a special socket for this kinda thing. When I get time I'll find the info.
I bought them for my 700.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Thank you sir. I am going to try to call the wheel supplier tomorrow, also.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Thank you sir, very much! I don't feel [quite!] as stupid now, just not as informed as I could/should have made myself before making my purchases...lesson learned (till next time!). Would a "sticky" be a good idea on this subject?
FYI, I don't know if you can make revisions to the text within the links you attached or not, but the M12 nuts (at least, that I received) require a 19mm or 3/4" socket, not a 17mm as stated in both of the attachments. People may think a 17mm will fit their wheels. Maybe both sizes exist within 12mm nuts, and I'm just unlucky.
You're right about keeping "special tools" in a safe and retrievable location. That's a good reason (for me, anyway) to continue to look a little bit for longer lug nuts (using a conventional socket) that will work. If I find any, before I wear out the factory tires, I'll post the info.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Found these and they are 2" long, with the tool, for $24.99: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNVD0WY?psc=1
BTW, in my searching, I did see a couple of offerings that said a 17mm socket would fit...go figure, apparently one has to be careful on that aspect too when selecting your purchase. And, three sets of lugs later, all I wanted to do was mount my %#$@ wheels!!!

S

SkyPup

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2014
Crookedcreek said:
Found these and they are 2" long, with the tool, for $24.99: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MNVD0WY?psc=1
BTW, in my searching, I did see a couple of offerings that said a 17mm socket would fit...go figure, apparently one has to be careful on that aspect too when selecting your purchase. And, three sets of lugs later, all I wanted to do was mount my %#$@ wheels!!!

I have those and they work perfect.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Thanks SkyPup, that's reassuring to me, since I just ordered a set through Amazon, along with a Kolpin 1 1/4" three way trailer hitch (to get the over $35.00 free shipping).
Another week of waiting for the UPS guy and I ought to be (finally) in business!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crooked, be careful of how much down force you put on that hitch. The Pioneer receiver is not designed for that much up force.

There is a thread where someone had to repair the receiver.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Ohana, thanks for the heads-up, I'll look for the thread so I can see the particulars behind the causes of damage and need for repair. My planned use for the hitch is to pull around a lawn cart for tree/shrub trimming and possible future pulling an empty UTV trailer to/from the backyard when hooking it up to a vehicle to take the 500 on a trip.
I will be careful of tongue and uplift load.

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Well, the nuts and trailer hitch came on Friday, 9-19.
The trailer hitch looks good, but I think I'm going to drill a second pin hole to allow the hitch to slide in the receiver farther (I think someone else also mentioned they did the same).
The lugs nuts are another story and continue to be a little frustrating. The 20 piece set with spline socket arrived, but the nuts are 1.4" long, not 2". Four of the 20 will not engage the spline socket. They are undersized and the socket simply rotates (spins?) on the nut. So much for quality control, huh? Luckily, the Pioneer only requires 16 lug nuts, and the remaining 16 nuts engage the socket tightly (no slippage) as intended. I have not yet mounted the wheels, but the nut and socket does clear the wheel holes, so it "appears" the shorter 1.4" nut will work. This has been an exercise in maintaining my patience and sanity!

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
And the beat goes on!! I went to switch the wheels/tires out today. The rears first, all went fine. First wheel on front, three nuts tightened up just fine, the fourth had the spline socket slip with very little force on the wrench. The other side front, two nuts slipped in the socket. So, there were 7 out of the 20 that were "undersized" and not usable. Closer inspection showed they were not truly undersized, rather they were different and wrong. Those 7 had 7 splines and the other 13 had 6 splines as did the wrench. The quality control issue was one of packaging and not of product.
Right now, I have one wheel with four bolts and three with three bolts each, enough to nurse it through the yard to it's home in the backyard garage, but not comfortable zipping around with it like that.
So, this latest installment has me awaiting a return authorization and next weeks delivery of my fourth set of lug nuts....a different brand this go around, as my confidence is a little shaken right now.
I'll close by reiterating "This is getting ridiculous"!!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i dont understand what you mean by splines every lug nut i have ever seen has a hex head where are you getting the nuts at ? get a set of itp lug nuts and be done with it

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
i never seen splined nuts before guess i never looked

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Hex nuts flat won't fit, even thin wall deep sockets hit the wheel before the nut tightens down. Now, if the hex portion of the nut was 2" long the socket would still be engaged with the hex when the nut made contact with the wheel.
These were not felt to be "no name" lug nuts. They were spline lugs nuts, just as your reference shows. The problem was that whomever packed the nuts in the bag grabbed 13 (and the wrench) with six splines and 7 with seven splines (that the wrench does not engage properly). So, it was not an inferior product, just a (unlucky for me) "casual or sloppy" selection and packing of the product.
Here is what I am now awaiting (which is what is recommended above): http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4171KZV-PgL.jpg

C

Crookedcreek

Aug 25, 2014
Well, the new (fourth try!) nuts were in the mailbox yesterday. They looked great and....all the same style and size, including the wrench!
I put them on today, everything went fine, torqued them to 98 foot pounds, drove around, nothing fell off, checked them again at 98 ' #, kissed her on the hood and put her to bed for the night.
So, after losing a little time off of what's left of my life, a few more gray hairs, and a few antacids along the way....all is good in my world and I'm [finally] a happy camper. I now await, with bated breath, my next "adventure" into accessories, improvements, and modifications on the P500. But, again :D

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Go to auto zone...for $40... get the ones that have lock key for each lug... yeah a tad spend...but problem solved

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!