P1000 Odyssey battery weighs 26 pounds

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
(if u are trying to save weight in your build)? I say hell no until I found out how much it weighs. I say if u are running two 30 inch light bars a stereo and a couple sets of pods u should be totally fine with room to spare just running another stock size battery, and that is if u run all that at the same time constantly. Then some people will say what about the winch? well how often are u using the winch anyway and when u do, how many people need to do it with the pioneer shut off? Normally in a mud rescue u are helping it along with engine power anyway. In a situation where u didn't want to help the winch out and let the unit run for some reason u had to pull yourself 65-75 feet up the side of a cliff with unit off in that rare occasion couldn't u just shut off Mc Hammer on the subwoofers and your 500 lights for a min until u got to the top lol. Now plowing is ok. U are using some of the lights or say all of them maybe and winch often but How many of you are doing it while the unit isn't running and also its short little bursts anyways with lots of rpm. Now with all that said I don't know a damn thing, tell me why I'm wrong!! Only people that would be contrary to the rule might be light freaks with huge stereo's amps, led's everywhere everywhere etc. The occasional tailgaters who are using a george forman grill or an iceless cooler running off the power inverter, that want to sit around drinking beer for hours with all that up and running and for those guys probably need it. Thoughts and opinions Im hoping someone explains why it would be necessary ... because I am far from disliking an odyssey battery I run them in all my drag bikes they are one of the best in the industry or should I say are the best in the industry. Actually, if it weren't for wanting to have a battery in reserve and run an isolator I would just take out the stock battery and run the odyssey only!! See my deal is to pack as much useable equipment goodies etc on my pioneer as possible and do it with the absolute least amount of weight as possible. Then ride the living s*** out of it lol So my question is if u are moderate with the lights meaning like I said earlier 2 medium light bars 2 sets of pods and a normal stereo nothing amplified would 2 normal batteries do the trick with an isolator?

Last edited:
Up2It

Up2It

Jan 9, 2016
Calgary Alberta
YES!
or no, I forgot what you asked.....
Oh right! I think I remember now. I went with the Odyssey BECAUSE it weights 27lb! See I am big! and my wife is SMALL, and she sits on the same side as the battery...this will level out the machine and make me being larger than her, (by a manly amount) less obvious! Pretty smart eh?

Actually you could use one stock battery just fine. I only added it because that's what all the cool kids are doing...I mean because I wanted a bunch of accessories and didn't want to take the chance of a dead battery. My boat has two batteries, and I have NEVER needed the extra, but I LOVE knowing I have a back up.

I picked the Odyssey because it is supposed to last much longer than a stock battery.

I also keep my shed key on the same ring as my Pioneer keys. Sunday night I went to put the machine away after dark. I pull in front of the shed and shine the lights on the door and lock, then turn off the Pioneer to remove the key to open the shed, which I now have to do in the dark, because when you turn off the machine, you turn off the lights. Not the best plan. If you ever have to winch a machine out that isn't running (read deep water) then you will really like the back up....I assume!

Reactions: dale5740
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
YES!
or no, I forgot what you asked.....
Oh right! I think I remember now. I went with the Odyssey BECAUSE it weights 27lb! See I am big! and my wife is SMALL, and she sits on the same side as the battery...this will level out the machine and make me being larger than her, (by a manly amount) less obvious! Pretty smart eh?

Actually you could use one stock battery just fine. I only added it because that's what all the cool kids are doing...I mean because I wanted a bunch of accessories and didn't want to take the chance of a dead battery. My boat has two batteries, and I have NEVER needed the extra, but I LOVE knowing I have a back up.

I picked the Odyssey because it is supposed to last much longer than a stock battery.

I also keep my shed key on the same ring as my Pioneer keys. Sunday night I went to put the machine away after dark. I pull in front of the shed and shine the lights on the door and lock, then turn off the Pioneer to remove the key to open the shed, which I now have to do in the dark, because when you turn off the machine, you turn off the lights. Not the best plan. If you ever have to winch a machine out that isn't running (read deep water) then you will really like the back up....I assume!
ok add water logged pioneer to the list right beside Mc Hammer and cliff? And still run an iso with 2 batteries just not one huge battery!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Isn't that a bit of overkill? I say hell no until I found out how much it weighs. I say if u are running two 30 inch light bars a stereo and a couple sets of pods u should be totally fine with room to spare just running another stock size battery, and that is if u run all that at the same time constantly. Then some people will say what about the winch? well how often are u using the winch anyway and when u do, how many people need to do it with the pioneer shut off? Normally in a mud rescue u are helping it along with engine power anyway. In a situation where u didn't want to help the winch out and let the unit run for some reason u had to pull yourself 65-75 feet up the side of a cliff with unit off in that rare occasion couldn't u just shut off Mc Hammer on the subwoofers and your 500 lights for a min until u got to the top lol. Now plowing is ok. U are using some of the lights or say all of them maybe and winch often but How many of you are doing it while the unit isn't running and also its short little bursts anyways with lots of rpm. Now with all that said I don't know a damn thing, tell me why I'm wrong!! Only people that would be contrary to the rule might be light freaks with huge stereo's amps, led's everywhere everywhere etc. The occasional tailgaters who are using a george forman grill or an iceless cooler running off the power inverter, that want to sit around drinking beer for hours with all that up and running and for those guys probably need it. Thoughts and opinions Im hoping someone explains why it would be necessary ... because I am far from disliking an odyssey battery I run them in all my drag bikes they are one of the best in the industry or should I say are the best in the industry. Actually, if it weren't for wanting to have a battery in reserve and run an isolator I would just take out the stock battery and run the odyssey only!! See my deal is to pack as much useable equipment goodies etc on my pioneer as possible and do it with the absolute least amount of weight as possible. Then ride the living s*** out of it lol So my question is if u are moderate with the lights meaning like I said earlier 2 medium light bars 2 sets of pods and a normal stereo nothing amplified would 2 normal batteries do the trick with an isolator?

Is this a question? a rant? a weight loss manifesto? I'm confused, the P1K weights 1700+ pounds already wouldn't think 5 more pounds vs. a regular second battery would bind up a person. If weight means that much buy a P500 you will shed 800 pounds instantly over a P1K5D. Or just buy a different battery if losing 6 pounds is worth all that above. Research before you buy specs clearly state it weighs 26 pounds. Probably could go Li-On for 5 lbs. total but may blow up like a claymore if damaged in any way, yeah that would be worth it. Just having fun with ya :p

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Don't get me wrong bigger is better a lot of the time but for those of us trying not to add a lot of weight that ride hard might find that it isn't ness. especially running an iso. acc battery might run dead quicker sitting around with light and stereo on. I remember with my ranger 700 I would sit around with my stereo on and rear lights for 30-60 min's at a time between rides and it would always start right up. With that having been said the rangers had a bigger battery than the stock one but with the iso u can sit there and run it low and soon as u ride its back up again.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Don't get me wrong bigger is better a lot of the time but for those of us trying not to add a lot of weight that ride hard might find that it isn't ness. especially running an iso. acc battery might run dead quicker sitting around with light and stereo on. I remember with my ranger 700 I would sit around with my stereo on and rear lights for 30-60 min's at a time between rides and it would always start right up. With that having been said the rangers had a bigger battery than the stock one but with the iso u can sit there and run it low and soon as u ride its back up again.
different people different ways I guess for instance in your situation maybe weight isn't an issue. For me it is. I love the big battery and big front bumpers big rear bumpers glass windshield big wide tires etc people have different needs. Some people run tracks better traction but not ness for all. Pounds add up quick with all these mods @JACKAL u know how much things add up 2 in dollars with all the mods u got lol they add up quick just like pounds. For those guys trying to stay light when possible they might find it nice to know it isn't ness. I come from the race world so weight is always on my mind like a habit!! I know how it effects performance and horse power.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
different people different ways I guess for instance in your situation maybe weight isn't an issue. For me it is. I love the big battery and big front bumpers big rear bumpers glass windshield big wide tires etc people have different needs. Some people run tracks better traction but not ness for all. Pounds add up quick with all these mods @JACKAL u know how much things add up 2 in dollars with all the mods u got lol they add up quick just like pounds. For those guys trying to stay light when possible they might find it nice to know it isn't ness. I come from the race world so weight is always on my mind like a habit!! I know how it effects performance and horse power.

And just like weight affects performance as you indicated, what you have or don't have with you 50 miles from civilization at 12,000 feet elevation may be the difference between a cold night on a mountain or a 2 minute jump start back to camp. If your living life 1/4 mile at a time I suppose that isn't a consideration.

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
I'm pretty sure it was a Rant I think! I'm just pissed cause I want the big battery but can't justify its weight!! Same with the big front bumper wanted that also. Big ass tires as well. My last build was my 700 ranger xp big bumpers bad ass tires etc but in the end everyone was fling by me and that part I hated. This build I'm trying to stay lighter when I can. So I miss all the things I can't have. Gotta come up with some cool ass light stuff!!!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I'm pretty sure it was a Rant I think! I'm just pissed cause I want the big battery but can't justify its weight!! Same with the big front bumper wanted that also. Big ass tires as well. My last build was my 700 ranger xp big bumpers bad ass tires etc but in the end everyone was fling by me and that part I hated. This build I'm trying to stay lighter when I can. So I miss all the things I can't have. Gotta come up with some cool ass light stuff!!!
Well there is always helium :p

advertisement
dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Isolator and a second battery I can't do without! Also gotta have my on board air compressor with quick disconnect on each side of pioneer u got a switch for that @JACKAL

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
One thing to note is it'll supply a higher voltage for longer than the stock one for winching which saves winch motors and makes less heat. I think the stock battery is like 16 amp hours and the 925 Oddesey is around 26

Reactions: joeymt33
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@dale5740 you'll probably want to only fill your fuel tank half way up too... save at least 25lbs right there!lol

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Screen Shot 2016 03 01 at 103618 PM

dale5740

dale5740

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 4, 2016
mt airy md
Im putting the juice on it also should give me over 100 hp power without a problem.
I will have this at the race track a lot also, so when all the stadium and bleacher lights go out and all the spectators leave we all get out the pit vehicles and have some fun, I need to make sure the Pioneer 1000 can show up all the polaris's I will be surrounded by Mostly all rzr's and a few ranger 900's a lot of times we have more fun at night than during the race day. Racers are already damn crazy, throw in the moonshine competitiveness and it Gets pretty crazy to say the least!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I will have this at the race track a lot also, so when all the stadium and bleacher lights go out and all the spectators leave we all get out the pit vehicles and have some fun, I need to make sure the Pioneer 1000 can show up all the polaris's I will be surrounded by Mostly all rzr's and a few ranger 900's a lot of times we have more fun at night than during the race day. Racers are already damn crazy, throw in the moonshine competitiveness and it Gets pretty crazy to say the least!!

Get the video camera out when that goes down!

sugarray

sugarray

Is this a game show?
Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2016
WV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not just replace the OEM with the Odyssey? This would give you a little more reserve, I believe as I haven't looked at the specs head to head. Might alleviate your worries some.

Also, you all with experience would this be a better way to go if all I'm wanting is 2 front cubes, 2 rear cubes and a winch?

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why not just replace the OEM with the Odyssey? This would give you a little more reserve, I believe as I haven't looked at the specs head to head. Might alleviate your worries some.

Also, you all with experience would this be a better way to go if all I'm wanting is 2 front cubes, 2 rear cubes and a winch?

I have a second battery and isolator in, not the expensive Odyssey, but a less expensive 26 amp/hr one at about 1/3 the cost. I run 4 cubes, interior lights, winch and soon a larger front mount bar. I have my switch lights at key on power which keeps the lit when the key is on, but the switches are hot all the time. When I am out late working around and I really like that I can keep my lights running for prolonged periods or usb ports charging with the engine off without worry. Weight is really no issue, especially compared to hauling pretty good loads of hickory and oak. Oh, and the last issue is that I don't touch the factory electrical stuff with the exception of one very clean tap.

Last edited:
Reactions: dale5740
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!