P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Or burn 'em up on purpose when you get close to your end of warranty. Kills me to say that but I don't like being the guinea pig. I think a popular question will be "what VIN numbers will have this new clutch cover and gear guide from the factory?" I.E. Is my unit one of the pre-fixes or post fix?
the pic that shows how to identify if the new updated clutch case has already been installed
Upload 2017 9 13 5 41 57

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: lee and sharp

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If it doesn't have a problem in a year it should be good for several thousand miles. My P1000-3 is over 8,000 miles and still takes off and drives like new. My 2011 RZR 900 went 8,300 and some miles until the belt was out of spec. The problem was the weights, pins, rollers, were worn out and pulley face was grooved. I had to instill an all new belt drive at a cost of about $1,700.00.
My problem at 7500 miles on a Ranger 570 midsize was weights, pins, rollers on drive clutch and grenaded pucks on driven. Faces smooth as a baby's butt and I actually reinstalled my factory belt!

Reactions: sharp
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for posting CP how did you get that.
It was on the PDF attachment that Honda tech attached to his post, click on it, it's a good read. I saved it to my phone to show my dealer, i think I'm gonna have them do it to mine, even though I have had 1000 problem free miles, I get not wanting to disturb a good working machine,

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If you would have read that entire article, you would have seen the pic that shows how to identify if the new updated clutch case has already been installed.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The updated covers won't be on new machines till model year 18.

Last edited:
Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
The dealers may not be happy with 1.6 hours but after doing a couple that may not be a problem. It will be important to have a super clean Pioneer. My dealer charges $20.00 and up depending on how much cleaning it needs. All the manufacturers monitor the forums and Can-Am will post info on the Can-Am forum. The RZR forum has Frank helping out with problems. Hondatech helps out a bunch here. If you check the RZR videos on youtube you will see nothing has been abused like a RZR. The video showing the revs going up higher shifting into 3rd and 5th indicate the clutch is failing. The rest of the service bulletin will be an interesting read.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just read all of the 1st page, we get 3 years to Sept 2020. Looks like all you have to do is tell your dealer your going to install large tires and do some technical low speed driving. If your clutch is still like new it may not be replaced.

advertisement
popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda dropped the clutch fix today for dealers. Their replacing the clutch cover with new orifice in it a new No. 1 clutch guide gear and a new mainshaft bearing in the clutch cover. The new guide gear also has a seal that previously wasn't there as well.
This is the post he attached it to, the site won't let me reattach it through Tapatalk, and the article is too wide it would take 40 screenshots to get it all up here as pics.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I wasn't trying to get you all worked up, sorry if it came across wrong.

I hear ya. My original reply was something like " oh...I see it now...I'll humbly go check my cover". But I hit the wrong button and I screwed my post up and then I got pissed and then I erupted. All good bro and thanks for bringing that to my attention. BTW...I don't have the updated cover.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Just read the bulletin and I'm good to go as I don't do any prolonged driving in the clutch slipping zone. Just did a drag race against my buddy's Maverick 1000 and mine shifted perfect. He beat me to 50 mph by 2 car lengths. It would be a bit less as I'm running 28 inch tires. Now if Honda will come out with Sport Models early next year while I'm still young it will make my year.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The dealers may not be happy with 1.6 hours but after doing a couple that may not be a problem. It will be important to have a super clean Pioneer. My dealer charges $20.00 and up depending on how much cleaning it needs. All the manufacturers monitor the forums and Can-Am will post info on the Can-Am forum. The RZR forum has Frank helping out with problems. Hondatech helps out a bunch here. If you check the RZR videos on youtube you will see nothing has been abused like a RZR. The video showing the revs going up higher shifting into 3rd and 5th indicate the clutch is failing. The rest of the service bulletin will be an interesting read.
They may not be happy but it is only a 30 min deal easy if clean in the shop.

Last edited:
Reactions: pct and sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does this make sense to anybody?
If the clutch slips, call Techline,
If clutch does not slip, install improvement kit..

Capture

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I heard after first of the year it was supposed to come out on the 18's. Not sure when parts available but suspect around same time but it'll be tough to come by for a bit I suspect

All of the 2018 models built after 3rd week of July 2017 have the new parts, first ones are 1000 EPS & 1000-5 Deluxe Some dealers will have their first units shipped about Sept. 25th and in showroom 1st week of October.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Does this make sense to anybody?
If the clutch slips, call Techline,
If clutch does not slip, install improvement kit..

View attachment 53876
Yes it makes sense, if it is NOT slipping why replace clutch packs, if it is slipping techline will advise to replace clutch pack and improvement kit. Spend as little as possible out of their pocket.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes it makes sense, if it is NOT slipping why replace clutch packs, if it is slipping techline will advise to replace clutch pack and improvement kit. Spend as little as possible out of their pocket.
Read it again Jackal, If it DOES NOT SLIP proceed to clutch improvement kit installation.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!