P1000 Official Honda Clutch Fix Incoming

H

HondaTech

The dealers may not be happy with 1.6 hours but after doing a couple that may not be a problem. It will be important to have a super clean Pioneer. My dealer charges $20.00 and up depending on how much cleaning it needs. All the manufacturers monitor the forums and Can-Am will post info on the Can-Am forum. The RZR forum has Frank helping out with problems. Hondatech helps out a bunch here. If you check the RZR videos on youtube you will see nothing has been abused like a RZR. The video showing the revs going up higher shifting into 3rd and 5th indicate the clutch is failing. The rest of the service bulletin will be an interesting read.

1.6 is overkill really, I'd probably have this done in under and hour. Its not as complicated as it looks, the hardest part would be getting to all the bolt heads packed with diet on a 5 seater, 3 seat models will be a walk in the park.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I just hope they come out with a real fix.. none of this bandaid bulls*** for the clutches. Seat heat, dash heat, intake issues are all user solvable. They're all hot.. they all are loud... they all have some kinks to work out and evolving to do the first few years. But major systems flaws and quality control issues should be addressed. There's no reason a machine should be sent out with loose bolts, stripped bolts, loose intake hose clamps and so on. There's no reason it should be so out of alignment that they prematurely wear out tires. I shouldn't have to fix heat and intake and other "issues" as preemptive maintenance but I can live with that if they take care of the big things. But I guess this is what happens when your pool of workers has no pride in their product.. it's just a job. f***ing Honda set the bar so high for themselves with past atvs that are still going strong today. Just the Trend of electronics over mechanical systems I guess.

I just wish that one day all these iPhone packin, generation of instant gratification millennials wake up to the fact these are non climate controlled offroad machines, designed to be ridden in appropriate protective clothing & gear rather than leggings, shorts. If your wearing pants and a full shirt not exposing your tramp stamp the steam won't reach bare skin. If you want all the starbucks laden anemities pony up $34K and buy a Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition, AC, tunes, even a hotline for puds who don't know how to change a tire.

Otherwise......
CE

Dust, mud, atmospheric elements, it's all part of the ride. So man up get in and ride, or sit there sipping your latte pissin and moaning on your iPhone.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Read it again Jackal, If it DOES NOT SLIP proceed to clutch improvement kit installation.
Yes I comprehend just fine, they proceed because the "kit A & C in pdf" doesn't replace the clutch packs just everything to keep them cooler and properly lubricated for better longevity or withstand more abuse prior to failure. Kit B does replace clutch packs, but they have to call to get approval for that, hence call techline if slipping.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I just wish that one day all these iPhone packin, generation of instant gratification millennials wake up to the fact these are non climate controlled offroad machines, designed to be ridden in appropriate protective clothing & gear rather than leggings, shorts. If your wearing pants and a full shirt not exposing your tramp stamp the steam won't reach bare skin. If you want all the starbucks laden anemities pony up $34K and buy a Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock edition, AC, tunes, even a hotline for puds who don't know how to change a tire.

Otherwise......
View attachment 53878

Dust, mud, atmospheric elements, it's all part of the ride. So man up get in and ride, or sit there sipping your latte pissin and moaning on your iPhone.

I have an iPhone, damn it I'm a 44 yr old millennial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Will clutches be replaced at the same time the kit is installed at no cost to the owner?o_O
The clutches will only be replaced if slipping.
Note in the Honda PDF it mentions Kit A & Kit C as the 2 needed for a regular product update. If your clutches are slipping they have to call tech-line which then has them order and install Kit A & Kit B which includes the clutches and everything in Kit C.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Or burn 'em up on purpose when you get close to your end of warranty. Kills me to say that but I don't like being the guinea pig. I think a popular question will be "what VIN numbers will have this new clutch cover and gear guide from the factory?" I.E. Is my unit one of the pre-fixes or post fix?
Units built after July 21st ish 2017, have the new parts from the get go. (2018 models)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
All of the 2018 models built after 3rd week of July 2017 have the new parts, first ones are 1000 EPS & 1000-5 Deluxe Some dealers will have their first units shipped about Sept. 25th and in showroom 1st week of October.
It was nice to see that got moved up. Seems like simple change. I hope Honda did their homework and this proves to improve on a good product

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The clutches will only be replaced if slipping. note in the Honda PDF it mentions Kit A & Kit C as the 2 needed for a regular product update, if your clutches are slipping the have to call techline which has them install Kit B which is the clutches.
Thank you @JACKAL

advertisement
T

tbaker

Aug 31, 2013
NW. Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Will we get a letter on the clutch fix like the letter on the heat fix problem is this the correct upgrade to fix the clutch problem or will Honda just do this if you have a problem seems like they would do this upgrade to the 16 and 17 models that do not have this new upgrade

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My retard dealer told me today I wasn’t eligible for the heat or clutch upgrade because my unit is out of factory warranty. Smh. Stupid stupid stupid. I’ll be going to another dealer that knows what’s going on. They also told me the heat kits were just announced this week and no one has stock on the kits for a few more months.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My retard dealer told me today I wasn’t eligible for the heat or clutch upgrade because my unit is out of factory warranty. Smh. Stupid stupid stupid. I’ll be going to another dealer that knows what’s going on. They also told me the heat kits were just announced this week and no one has stock on the kits for a few more months.

Post their contact info. Maybe we can all randomly call in and ask about the clutch upgrade?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Download and send the dealer the copy of the PDF, and point out to the non-comprehending nincompoop the expiration date of the Product Update Campaign is 9/30/2020.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Download and send the dealer the copy of the PDF, and point out to the non-comprehending nincompoop the expiration date of the Product Update Campaign is 9/30/2020.
If you can't trust your dealer to read the paperwork, would you trust them to turn wrenches on your pride and joy?

K

Kolton

Oct 15, 2016
Vance, al
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I called yesterday and my dealer is putting my heat kit on Tuesday. Going to call today about the clutches.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Well I guess the question is because that looks like it's gonna be hard for a normal person to get that's not a dealer. Does anyone know a competent dealer within say 8 hours from North east Arkansas or a dealer that would just be able to order those kits if I payed for them so I can install them

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have WAY too many torque wrenches available to me right now. I even have torque wrench testings stations. You would be amazed how much your torque can vary based on the speed you apply a force.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!