OT: Cold Air Intakes

Trademark

Trademark

Jun 18, 2019
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just traded my 2015 f-150 with the 2.7 ecoboost for a 2018 with the 5.0 V8. I loved the ecoboost and hated to get rid of it, but commuting for work was piling on the miles. Being back in a V8 dropped my mileage a bit, but man I forgot how intoxicating that engine sound is.

Anyways, I was wondering if anybody here had any real world experience with aftermarket cold air intakes. Do you recommend it? If so what brand?

Reactions: Glock21user
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a Roush cold air intake on my 2011 5.0 and noticed no performance gain or mileage gain from it. If anything it got worse mileage. It also had a horrible drone with my 4" cat back exhaust. If you just like the v8 sound I think the cat back is a better way to get it.

I have an 18 5.0 now and I haven't change the intake or exhaust

Reactions: Glock21user
Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with @Vikes79, I have a 2013 F150 with the 5.0 and tried the Roush and Airaid and neither one made enough difference to justify the cost.
In the end I modded the factory airbox by removing the baffle and that did about the same but I can still use a factory filter.
If you are interested in running a programmer call Oz Tuning and talk to Ken Oz directly, great guy and super knowledgeable.
His programs plus a little of this and that really wakes the 5.0 up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vikes79
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
At one time I had a 2011 F-150 that had the 6.2 Raptor motor in it, I put a Jack Roush cold air box on it and a Banks Monster Exhaust. I did get a slight gain in MPG and it seem a bit more power but the mellow throaty sound was all worth it.

Glock21user

Glock21user

" Nothing succeeds like excess "
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2018
Livingston county, Mi.
Ownership

1. 700-4
This is a small video of my son's 2018 F150 5.0 with a few small mods.
One of which is a Oz programmer.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Food for thought, the ecm controls the amount of fuel to amount of air introduced. You may feel like it more powerful, negligible just more fuel to keep AFR correct. Most people get way less fuel economy due to foot control after installing a cold air intake. Most Manufactures have already installed their brand of cold air intake anyways.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Performance mods & fuel mileage almost never go together for men...if you have more horsepower...you just have to use it

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Performance mods & fuel mileage almost never go together for men...if you have more horsepower...you just have to use it

unless you’re talking diesel pickups.
My old 2012 LMM unloaded went from 14 mpg to 22 mpg average with the full delete package, 120 hp efi live tune.

it was still fun driving, just ran out of road quicker.

850 ft lbs is so nice when towing........
Towing 8k the average was 17 mpg after the delete.

advertisement
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
unless you’re talking diesel pickups.
My old 2012 LMM unloaded went from 14 mpg to 22 mpg average with the full delete package, 120 hp efi live tune.

it was still fun driving, just ran out of road quicker.

850 ft lbs is so nice when towing........
Towing 8k the average was 17 mpg after the delete.

All I've ever had is diesel.
A lot of them.
If you drive exactly the same you may see some fuel savings or increased MPG.
Are you hand calculating at every fill up to get these numbers or going off what the dash is telling you?
These programmers change the dash board information, my experience is most folks go off of that.
My dash board information was always way off than hand calculated.

Yes I agree the mods give you crazy performance.
In short the diesel engines have way more power than the manufactures allow out of the gate do they can meet all federal regulations.
The programmers unlock that.

My point was if you get more horsepower it's natural to want to have your foot in it all of the time simply because you can.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I believe the only situations where a cold air intake is beneficial is if you have done serious modifications that require more air than a stock engine, if the factory intake has baffles of any kind to suppress noise, or if you simply want a loud intake roar when you open the throttle. Most factory intakes on newer vehicles flow very well.

My truck had some sort of baffle (restriction) in the intake between the airbox and turbo. I replaced it with a piece of straight 3" stainless exhaust pipe and it fit right in. Massive increases in HP and TQ!!!!! (no, not really. but i can hear the turbo a little more)

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
All I've ever had is diesel.
A lot of them.
If you drive exactly the same you may see some fuel savings or increased MPG.
Are you hand calculating at every fill up to get these numbers or going off what the dash is telling you?
These programmers change the dash board information, my experience is most folks go off of that.
My dash board information was always way off than hand calculated.

Yes I agree the mods give you crazy performance.
In short the diesel engines have way more power than the manufactures allow out of the gate do they can meet all federal regulations.
The programmers unlock that.

My point was if you get more horsepower it's natural to want to have your foot in it all of the time simply because you can.

hand calculated.

I’m currently driving a 2014 1500 CCSB with a 6.2 gas.

passed the diesel on to one of my employees.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!