P1000 P1000 fouling plugs?

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone had any trouble fouling plugs in their P1000?

The reason I ask is that mine has acted up three times, it runs rough and on one cylinder for a time. It will finally clear up and run fine for maybe a month or four months, there is no rhyme or reason. So after the last episode I called my Dealer and explained what was happening (I even videoed it) and scheduled an appointment for am today. I took it to the dealer and without looking at it the mechanic tells me it has a fouled plug, that It's not being ran long enough to "dry the plugs". So I bought a new set of plugs ($36) and will change them and see if my issue goes away. Anyone ever heard anything like this?

He may be right but I'm calling B.S. I'd like to think the fuel map at idle wouldn't let it foul plugs because if it's that rich it'll also wash the cylinder walls and ruin the ring seal.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Both of our pioneer 1000's will spit in sputter and stumble occasionally. It may only happen once a month but I have learned that applying partial throttle when starting the engine has stopped the problem.

Maybe we have the same issue?

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe your mechanic is referring to running long enough to get out of open loop? Other than that, I have no friggin idea what he's talking about and never heard of that. Mine has a little trouble idling right sometimes. But as Joey said, a little throttle will clear it up. Im guessing these things have a pretty basic system compared to a car.

Reactions: Remington
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

The reason I ask is that mine has acted up three times, it runs rough and on one cylinder for a time. It will finally clear up and run fine for maybe a month or four months, there is no rhyme or reason. So after the last episode I called my Dealer and explained what was happening (I even videoed it) and scheduled an appointment for am today. I took it to the dealer and without looking at it the mechanic tells me it has a fouled plug, that It's not being ran long enough to "dry the plugs". So I bought a new set of plugs ($36) and will change them and see if my issue goes away. Anyone ever heard anything like this?

He may be right but I'm calling B.S. I'd like to think the fuel map at idle wouldn't let it foul plugs because if it's that rich it'll also wash the cylinder walls and ruin the ring seal.
Mine will be hesitate to start every once in a while if I just reach in and turn the key, but if I haven't started it in a while I'll leave the key on for 30 seconds and no sputtering.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine will be hesitate to start every once in a while if I just reach in and turn the key, but if I haven't started it in a while I'll leave the key on for 30 seconds and no sputtering.

Same here, a little slow starting once in a while and a little hesitation but once I get underway, no more issue.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine does the rough run on start up from time to time, but clears right up. My problem is when it does it for 10-15 minutes.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine does the rough run on start up from time to time, but clears right up. My problem is when it does it for 10-15 minutes.

That's not good. I've never had it continue after hitting the throttle.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand

You didn't need new plugs unless one is defective. Sometimes putting gas stabilizer in the gas will help.

advertisement

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Both of our pioneer 1000's will spit in sputter and stumble occasionally. It may only happen once a month but I have learned that applying partial throttle when starting the engine has stopped the problem.

Maybe we have the same issue?
For what it's worth I'm known as an unsatisfied Pioneer 1000 owner overall but I gotta say...my engine has always started and run unbelievably rock solid and continuously perfect every single minute that it's running no matter the heat, cold or how many weeks it's been unused. To the point where I'm thinking "What alien technology did Honda harness for this air/fuel/ignition management?"

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yeah without the discount its $41.00 out the door. Dang! That's just stupid.
That iridium must be from the planet unabotainable.

Glad my old Ford Excursion with the V-10 didn't need em.
Brother... Not discounting you but I just replaced my perfectly running truck's factory iridium plugs at 185,000 miles and aside from obvious discoloration, I couldn't tell the new ones from the old ones. No kidding.

Reactions: X4Dice and JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Yeah... and "dry the plugs"? Either he's reading from a 1970's shop manual or he's full of ****. I'd check your ignition system front to back. May have a bad connection causing intermittent problems. As you know, plugs don't foul and then all of a sudden fix themselves and then foul again. These machines are becoming notorious for having ground and harness problems. It'll drive you bananas. Good luck and keep us posted. And please don't change any spark plugs yet.

R

rkwerner

Jun 15, 2017
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine has hesitated to start a few times. It seems to occur at time when I start the unit move a little, shut it off, and try to restart it shortly after (such as yard work or loading and unloading at the trailhead) I have always been able to get it to fire by feathering the gas pedal. I figured it probably had something to do with the temperature of the engine due to the short run.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven't changed the plugs yet. It's been three weeks since it last acted up and I'm thinking I'll wait until it shows it's a$$ again. When it does I'll find what cylinder it is and then change the plugs. This way if it does it again and it's the same cylinder there will be a direction to start.

advertisement