P1000 P1000 Storage Fume Question

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Going on a road trip for a few months and putting the 1000 in a storage unit. I’ve always kept it under a carport. Does anyone keep theirs in an enclosed space, like a garage?

Just wondering if fumes are an issue and if anyone smells ANY gas smell at ALL when they do or whether I’m safe and good to go?

Suggestions for storage? Assuming I should either run some Sta-Bil through it OR run it till empty and runs out of gas? Guessing again running out of gas could reduce chances of fumes if leave cap off and let air out.

Thanks

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Use stabilizer with a full tank of gas. I always keep mine in the garage.

Reactions: TheHoover
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine smelled like fuel when the tank was full before I extended my vent lines. No more smell with longer lines

D

DDDonkey

I just got back from a month long trip and Han no issues. I put fuel stabilizer in the tank and put it on a trickle charger.

Reactions: Redmoon
D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine stays in my garage full time. No issues with fumes of any kind. As for a stabilizer I use startron. I run it in everything and never have any fuel issues, even after leaving stuff like the lawnmower parked for 7 months out of the year. One ounce per 5 gallon gas can is all it takes. Only other thing I’d do if I was you is leave it hooked up to a battery tender JR.

J

JTW

It will be fine as is.. the fumes won’t be bad if the tank isn’t completely full or their aren’t big temp swings and blazing hot.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I store mine in the garage. No fumes. I try to keep my tank full or close to it. Ready to go! I also seen on here somewhere that something rusts if left empty? Not sure what part it was now.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I also seen on here somewhere that something rusts if left empty? Not sure what part it was now.

If we’re remembering the same thing, I’m pretty sure the whole sending unit in the tank rusted all to hell. Chunks of rust flaked off and googled the pump and/or injectors too IIRC

Edit: found it P1000 - Important Photo of Fuel System

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!