ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ditch their progressive springs? I don't follow...
You'll find the progressive rate springs will be coil bound on the softer spring rate after they break in. You'll likely find the ride gets a little too harsh and you'll benefit from a softer single rate spring rather than the stock progressive rate springs

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Springs are a bit of a mystery to me, I've been watching a few vids and reading a lot of your guys stuff, so I'm still a bit in the dark on what you're saying here - specifically, Todd's "coil bound" statement...

But I get the gist - these springs (while my ride feels pretty good right now, I've been running around on the soft setting) are going to get worse in a hurry? Whatsupwiththat?

And I see the springs you all like, something from Summit Racing...another couple hundred bucks...and then the new caps with Schrader valves, another couple hundred. lol.

Right now I'd like to plan the frontline tires for my next wad blown...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I did some measurements the other day and was shocked to find that my rear end was lower than it was before I started all of this!

With the Highlifter stuff, I was at 16.5" to the bottom of my receiver hitch. After the TTC kit and the 814s, that went up to 19"

Take off the 814s, put on the Fox with 0.54" of preload on the rear, and I was down to 16". Yikes...

Ran preload on the rears up to 0.855" and the rear is back up to 17.5" (.31" of preload lifted it 1.5")

I may want to go up just a tad more, but I'm a bit concerned about preloading further, esp since I don't have the right tool. It seems like that spring was really pushing back at .855.

Thoughts?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In case you're wondering how I measure preload, I use a socket as a gauge, insert it between the top of the locking spinner and the step on the shock body. This gives me a nice way to get them even. Here's a pic of the front, this socket sets their preload to 1.4" (I measure the OD of the socket with the calipers)

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had some thunking sounds going on in my front end, and it turns out I believe it's due to these gaps in the TTC shock mounts and the shock eye.

I'm going to have to add some spacing in there.

0801211314 HDR

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell me what you see here:

I've got 1.5" of preload on the front shocks. Looks pretty normal and it was pretty easy to do, as I was able to just take the load off and turn the whole spring and spinner with my hands.

0820211741a

The rear shocks have .87" of preload on them, and they were really hard to get to this point, the spinner turned really hard.
The top of the spring is most all compressed. I don't remember how it looked before I preloaded it, but .86" shouldn't be so much that I lost all the spring, should it?

I'm actually still a little lower than I'd like to be in the rear, but it doesn't look like I can add any more with these Fox's. I guess the key will be going to new springs?

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tell me what you see here:

I've got 1.5" of preload on the front shocks. Looks pretty normal and it was pretty easy to do, as I was able to just take the load off and turn the whole spring and spinner with my hands.

View attachment 290794

The rear shocks have .87" of preload on them, and they were really hard to get to this point, the spinner turned really hard.
The top of the spring is most all compressed. I don't remember how it looked before I preloaded it, but .86" shouldn't be so much that I lost all the spring, should it?

I'm actually still a little lower than I'd like to be in the rear, but it doesn't look like I can add any more with these Fox's. I guess the key will be going to new springs?
View attachment 290796
I just cranked it on down until I got the ride height I wanted. The compressed upper spring is why I changed mine. But I run them like that for over a year. Still way better than stock shocks.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll find the progressive rate springs will be coil bound on the softer spring rate after they break in. You'll likely find the ride gets a little too harsh and you'll benefit from a softer single rate spring rather than the stock progressive rate springs

Funny, I was just reading back on some stuff. Todd said they'd get coil bound, I didn't know what he meant, and then a month later I post pics of my rear springs coil bound after preloading them.

<forehead smack>

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I put out the order for a set of Viper springs from Dave's Off Road Supply.

After losing all of my softer side of the Fox rear springs after preloading (see 2nd pic a few posts up,) I decided I wanted to go to a single rate spring so I can get the preload right and get full travel from the spring.

I went with 2.5" x 14" x 250# on the front, and 3.0" x 14" x 300# on the rear.

Note that if you're going to go with 3" on the rear (instead of removing your mud guard and going with cheaper 2.5" springs) it's actually cheaper to go with Dave's over Summit. While Summit is cheaper on the 2.5's, their markup on the 3.0's is way up there. Overall, I saved about $20 on the whole order from Dave's, even with paid shipping - and I got my springs in RED, which I liked better than silver.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Today I put out the order for a set of Viper springs from Dave's Off Road Supply.

After losing all of my softer side of the Fox rear springs after preloading (see 2nd pic a few posts up,) I decided I wanted to go to a single rate spring so I can get the preload right and get full travel from the spring.

I went with 2.5" x 14" x 250# on the front, and 3.0" x 14" x 300# on the rear.

Note that if you're going to go with 3" on the rear (instead of removing your mud guard and going with cheaper 2.5" springs) it's actually cheaper to go with Dave's over Summit. While Summit is cheaper on the 2.5's, their markup on the 3.0's is way up there. Overall, I saved about $20 on the whole order from Dave's, even with paid shipping - and I got my springs in RED, which I liked better than silver.
Good info. Thanks. Hopefully in the near future I will be purchasing some fox shocks for mine.

Reactions: ToddACimer
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright, I started on replacing the springs on my Fox's tonight, and just about everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Left it alone for the time being.

I'm 20 minutes away from my machine, and doing a lot of digging for info, but maybe one of you can save me some time with these questions:

1) The front and rear are both Fox 2.0's right? I know I'm running 3" diameter springs on the rear, but they're not 2.5's, are they?

2) What's the whole process to swap out these springs? Is there a video or thread you can point me to? I expected the spring seats and everything to come apart when I backed the preload nuts all the way off, like other shocks I've assembled. These things don't look ready to come apart at that point.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Alright, I started on replacing the springs on my Fox's tonight, and just about everything that could go wrong, went wrong. Left it alone for the time being.

I'm 20 minutes away from my machine, and doing a lot of digging for info, but maybe one of you can save me some time with these questions:

1) The front and rear are both Fox 2.0's right? I know I'm running 3" diameter springs on the rear, but they're not 2.5's, are they?

2) What's the whole process to swap out these springs? Is there a video or thread you can point me to? I expected the spring seats and everything to come apart when I backed the preload nuts all the way off, like other shocks I've assembled. These things don't look ready to come apart at that point.
They are 3 inches but u can use 2.5 inches if u ditch that plastic insert. You have to compress the springs to get them off. I tried 2 different compressor that wouldn't work. 1 from harbor freight and 1 that I rented from advance auto. I ended up using 2 ratchet straps to compress. If you go that route, be careful when you release them. Amazon sells a badass spring compressor for $500+ that will work if you wanna be safe.

Reactions: Mudwing
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They are 3 inches but u can use 2.5 inches if u ditch that plastic insert.

Got that, but what I meant is that the rear shocks are still Fox 2.0s right? They're not 2.5s?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to compress the springs to get them off.

That's what it looked like, and I did check out the Advanced Auto compression kit, and it didn't look promising. Not dropping $500 on a tool, so I need to figure this out. Which part comes apart when you compress it? Is it the bottom ring? I saw a notch on it...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wow, I can't believe the difficulty I'm encountering just finding a video or how-to on removing the springs from these shocks.

I'd just like to see it before going over to work on it again tomorrow, for familiarity. Getting so much noise in my searches.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wow, I can't believe the difficulty I'm encountering just finding a video or how-to on removing the springs from these shocks.

I'd just like to see it before going over to work on it again tomorrow, for familiarity. Getting so much noise in my searches.
Post #641

Reactions: TripleB
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's what it looked like, and I did check out the Advanced Auto compression kit, and it didn't look promising. Not dropping $500 on a tool, so I need to figure this out. Which part comes apart when you compress it? Is it the bottom ring? I saw a notch on it...
Yes the bottom ring with the slot.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I cant find the video that I watched with the ratchet straps. It can be dangerous.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!