Phil's air intake mod

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
First off a shout out to HondaBob for the initial write up, CID for the pictures and helping me out with input during the process, and Slowpoke for the K&N filter idea.
Like the other guys have done and in CID's write up, I bought the Teryx tube, a 12" section of 3" tube on eBay, the K&N Filter, and a black plastic waste can at Chinamart to make a cover. I followed the directions that CID has in his write up and then put the K&N Filter on. The trash can I had to cut down so I put blue tape around it by the handles which was about the right height. I cut that with a Dremel and then sanded the edges smooth. I haven't actually mounted the cover, it's just sitting on there for the picture. But I'll drill a hole in it and the top of the filter and put a bolt through with some large washers.
The idea for this is to be able to ride in wet weather. I looked at a lot of different trash cans, ice buckets etc.. But the one I'm using has about 1" of room in between the can and the filter.

IMG 1506 IMG 1509 IMG 1510

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Good job, a lot of people won't like the pre filter up in the center of the roof. Honda should offer the particle separator tubes and fender cover as a separate kit.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Good job, a lot of people won't like the pre filter up in the center of the roof. Honda should offer the particle separator tubes and fender cover as a separate kit.

Thanks Bob, and like CID said, you should get an award!!

I think Honda will make an adjustment sooner or later. As we all know, that intake area is horrible. They could at least run the tube up to the intake vent on the side or anything to keep it out of that "dirt box". When I took that inner fender off I knew it would be dirty, but I didn't expect 1" of mud and debris on the bottom! My buddy got a RS1 not long ago. Polaris made some great changes putting the air intake tube up to the roof and the intake pointing backwards to keep dirt out. I think we'll see a lot of the SXS's go that way eventually.

Thanks again to all for the input. This is why I love these forums. Lots of trial and error go into these mods, so its great to learn from each other.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for that link for the 3" tube, Phil. It's less expensive than the NAPA 8907 if you don't need a 90* bend for roof mounting. 👍

Reactions: Smitty335
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
A quick update and pictures of how I attached the cover. First I bought a Filter Wears outer cover for the K&N. I drilled a hole in the middle of the K&N and also one in the middle of the cover. I also cut a small hole on top of the Filter Wears cover and then took a large nail and heated it up in the fire and used that to burn the hole open large enough. I did this to cauterize the material hoping it would keep it from ripping. I used a stainless 1/4" x 1.5" bolt to go through all 3. Inside the air filter I used a 1/4 x 1.5" fender washer with the same size rubber washer. I repeated this process on top of the fender and put a lock nut on, first picture. Then I put another fender washer on and a rubber fender washer on top of that - picture 2. Finally I put the cover on with a rubber fender washer, a stainless one and a wing nut, picture 3. I'm really happy with the way it looks. As long as it performs as good as it looks, I should be all set.

IMG 1551 IMG 1552 IMG 1553

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Check out the K & N Apolo system ( find on line )
Simular canister system less fabrication just Need to Locate the Canister & run the inlet & outlet tubing.
Going from tubing to filter canister use rubber reducers found at plumbing supply.
Done this to a P700 4 & two P500's works good reduces filter maintenance.
the picture is of a P500
20201114 111649

20201114 111649

Last edited:
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Interesting set up. But the majority of the fabrication on the Talon is getting to the air intake and venting it to the top. Once you do that, adding a air filter, or extending the tube to the roof is pretty easy. But that looks like a good set up for the Pioneer.

Reactions: Smitty335 and CID
PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
A follow up report. We went on a 2.5 day ride to WV and KY over the weekend. This was the first chance I got to really push the Talon with the new air intake system. Obviously adding a pre-filter, a filter bag, and then a cover I was slightly worried that my air intake may be restricted. But it was not, we hit lots of fast speed trails going 40-45, did a nasty rock climb in low an I4WD, and rode about 160 miles in the 2.5 days. I can report this set up works for trail riding. Now if we could just get the wild horses to leave us alone we'd be fine!

IMG 1761 IMG 1756

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A follow up report. We went on a 2.5 day ride to WV and KY over the weekend. This was the first chance I got to really push the Talon with the new air intake system. Obviously adding a pre-filter, a filter bag, and then a cover I was slightly worried that my air intake may be restricted. But it was not, we hit lots of fast speed trails going 40-45, did a nasty rock climb in low an I4WD, and rode about 160 miles in the 2.5 days. I can report this set up works for trail riding. Now if we could just get the wild horses to leave us alone we'd be fine!

View attachment 259624 View attachment 259625
We live in Nevada, and I always thought we were the wild horse state. people;e come from all over to see our wild horses. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.....

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
No problem. There are wild horses on the KY and WV line from the North to south. I don't really know how "wild" they are. Some seem like domesticated horses that have been turned loose, others won't come close. These were on an abandoned mine area that is now a big grassy knoll. So its good habitat for them.
We live in Nevada, and I always thought we were the wild horse state. people;e come from all over to see our wild horses. Sorry, not trying to hijack your thread.....

Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for that link for the 3" tube, Phil. It's less expensive than the NAPA 8907 if you don't need a 90* bend for roof mounting. 👍
Just finished this Pre filter up today. The blue silicone couplings come from Mishimoto. They have them in other colors also. The polished aluminum 3” o.d. pipe is Mishimoto also.
Thanks to Hondabob, CID, PaulF, Havasuedave, the academy, for making this project possible and this website great. Go Trump

228B2F61 7B44 4532 B19B C0474890EA52 07DF9876 9B4F 4763 831F 182520EBB1C5 CE630DC2 854F 4028 A2F9 52E0243EB528

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Since I had a little over 400 miles on the Talon since the air intake mod I decided to take a peak at the stock filter. You can see below in the pictures. Even the grease I smeared into the air box was still clean.

IMG 1904 IMG 1903

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Bump. For those looking at the air intake and how to cover it in wet conditions.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!