P1000 Picnic Post...

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Took a little 65 mile run today to a pretty little reservoir in Utah today. Packed a picnic and the dogs and headed off. Never saw another soul, just a coyote and crap loads of antelope. Life is good! Going to town and try to get it plated and street legal tomorrow.

This SOB just continues to run better and better.

One question though...on fast dirt or gravel in 4WD, at about 45 MPH it has a crazy/strange sound from the front differential area. Sometimes it sounds like a bearing, other times it sounds like something vibrating. Can't put my finger on it. Figure if it craps the bed, I'll know what it is...I have 1 year of warranty. Anyone else ever heard something similar? Put it in 2WD and it goes away...
20170611 112201
20170611 112132
20170611 112108
20170611 112059
20170611 111728
20170611 111712

lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe just gear whine from the front-end?

Reactions: sharp
Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I not thinking gear whine that is evident through a wider speed range. It acts more like component resonance, in that it appears at one very small speed/RPM range...Like EXACTLY at 44 mph (not 43 and not after 45 mph). I didn't see the rpm but if it varies more than just a few rpm from the "sweet spot" it goes away...above and below the sweet spot, no vibration.

It is so noticeable I can feel it on the floor under my feet.

The problem is, I'm a retired Certified CAT3/ISO Level 3 vibration analyst. I usually look the other way on stuff because I hear/feel things most people disregard. Unfortunately I'm having a hard time letting this one go and it's nearly impossible to detect and identify the source without instrumentation...and we know where guessing gets you...

I did see two small rods in the engine bay on either side of the driveshaft that could be vibrating, I hung a bungie cord on them to raise the resonance freq hoping that is the culprit.

If someone gets the chance, take your PK5 out on a dirt or gravel road in 4WD at 44 mph and see if you get a weird noise/vibration...

Last edited:
Reactions: Arizona and sharp
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
@Plongson just for sh!ts and giggles, have you checked the air pressure in the tires, perhaps one of them is off causing the front diff to chatter? Must be nice not to have water dogs, if I stop anywhere near water my younger dog will jump out the back before I get the machine shut off for a swim. Looks like you have some great riding in your area. great pics.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm running 13 in the front and 14 in the back, just checked and they are even and balanced.

Ha, my pups ain't water dogs...lol 2 Chihuahua's and a JRT, rescue pups all. Holy crap they love to go! I no sooner get back and they want to go again! 65 miles no less!! These three amigos go with me everywhere.

Last edited:
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would talk to a "retired Certified CAT3/ISO Level 3 vibration analyst" and get their input.
(sorry just couldn't help myself!)

As I'm sure you know, little vibrations are so hard to isolate and find. I just ran my P1000-3 within the parameters you described and didn't have any vibrations so I'm not another test case for you.

Thanks for the pictures. Looks like most of the winter rain effect is leaving quickly.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
THANKS Elk...Having all the Certs. and no equipment is like having a pilot's license and no airplane. Ya know what...I don't miss it a bit! Retirement is so much more fun at 62! Let the SOB vibrate, I'll just take it out of 4WD and run in 2WD...

Thanks again for checking my friend!

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Plongson are you familiar with the workings of the front diff?
A few of the power sports OEMs use a 'AP' limited slip.
These are common in ATVs but not so much in a SxS.
The limited slip has two opposing face cams and a bunch of pucks that shuttle back and forth while differentiating.
While differentiating they make an unnerving racket if you are tuned in to it.
4wd and drive in a tight circle or jack the front end up and spin one wheel to hear it.

I know it doesn't really fit your description but it is the only unusual noise I can think of up front.

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Lee, THANKS for the insight on the front diff. That could very well be what is causing this "clatter" at speed. I was fully unaware of how these front units work. What happens in DiffLock? Would you suppose the cams and pucks still rattle?

If it IS the diff locking mechanism banging around, running at high speed might not be the best medicine. I mean, here in the west, you can run down a decent gravel/dirt road for 30 miles at 50 mph, it's not uncommon. It just feels much more stable in 4WD on loose gravel.

It sounds damaging when you're in it, so I think I'll not risk tearing it up and run in 2WD on fast gravel.

THANKS!!

EDIT: I just did a search and looked at the inner workings of the Diff style you described. This could indeed be causing the noise. Pretty cool setup. Does anyone have a factory manual with a photo of the inner working of a PK? I really need to purchase a book...

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

I had a little noise almost exactly as you described in my P500. I noticed it on asphalt coming out of a deer lease. And once I heard it, I could duplicate whenever.
4th/5th gear. 4x4. During acceleration. Prevalent, on smooth terrain, esp if going up slightly low grade increases.

I brought it into the local dealer. They heard it. Said it wasn't normal, but there was no way to trouble shoot it further.

Surprisingly, the noise went away when I changed tires.

But I do know the sound.
Ive seen this mentioned only a couple times on the forum.

J

Jshell3

Took a little 65 mile run today to a pretty little reservoir in Utah today. Packed a picnic and the dogs and headed off. Never saw another soul, just a coyote and crap loads of antelope. Life is good! Going to town and try to get it plated and street legal tomorrow.

This SOB just continues to run better and better.

One question though...on fast dirt or gravel in 4WD, at about 45 MPH it has a crazy/strange sound from the front differential area. Sometimes it sounds like a bearing, other times it sounds like something vibrating. Can't put my finger on it. Figure if it craps the bed, I'll know what it is...I have 1 year of warranty. Anyone else ever heard something similar? Put it in 2WD and it goes away...
View attachment 46127 View attachment 46128 View attachment 46129 View attachment 46130 View attachment 46131 View attachment 46132
Have you heard of the ROTM?!? Those are some good pictures. (esp View attachment 46131 ) Might do you some good to submit one over at...

Multi - ROTM - June 2017 - OPEN

J

Jimmy-AZ

Lifetime Member
May 9, 2017
Gold Canyon, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Lee, THANKS for the insight on the front diff. That could very well be what is causing this "clatter" at speed. I was fully unaware of how these front units work. What happens in DiffLock? Would you suppose the cams and pucks still rattle?

If it IS the diff locking mechanism banging around, running at high speed might not be the best medicine. I mean, here in the west, you can run down a decent gravel/dirt road for 30 miles at 50 mph, it's not uncommon. It just feels much more stable in 4WD on loose gravel.

It sounds damaging when you're in it, so I think I'll not risk tearing it up and run in 2WD on fast gravel.

THANKS!!

EDIT: I just did a search and looked at the inner workings of the Diff style you described. This could indeed be causing the noise. Pretty cool setup. Does anyone have a factory manual with a photo of the inner working of a PK? I really need to purchase a book...

I would highly recommend getting the service manual directly from Honda, the aftermarket ones leave a lot to be desired, I mean a lot to be desired

Plongson

Plongson

May 18, 2017
Southern Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm with ya there! Aftermarket shop manuals SUCK. I always spend the $$ and go factory.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!