P1000 PIONEER DYING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok. Here to help. SAME EXACT PROBLEM as OP had. 2016 Pioneer 1005-5. Installed new battery, no change. I babied it and got it to run up and down the road sounding sickly. Stopped and over and over same issue. Go to park it overnight while I research. Now I smell a faint burning smell. Look down behind the machine….there it is. Red Hot muffler. Literally, see pic

51676BC0 BC96 4084 91E9 EA973F7159B8

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Ok. Here to help. SAME EXACT PROBLEM as OP had. 2016 Pioneer 1005-5. Installed new battery, no change. I babied it and got it to run up and down the road sounding sickly. Stopped and over and over same issue. Go to park it overnight while I research. Now I smell a faint burning smell. Look down behind the machine….there it is. Red Hot muffler. Literally, see pic

View attachment 293527
That is no bueno, lean condition?

A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not sure, but it makes sense that its not breathing as I could not get the RPMs high after feathering to start and driving around. I do seem to remember Honda sending out a recall on this issue. Should have listened! Ha ha! It’s a 2016 1000-5 with 230 hours and 1700 miles. I was starting to think water in the fuel but looks like I was a bit off on that guess.

EA60E74E A76D 432C B139 D8D5A348C9C9

Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Not sure, but it makes sense that its not breathing as I could not get the RPMs high after feathering to start and driving around. I do seem to remember Honda sending out a recall on this issue. Should have listened! Ha ha! It’s a 2016 1000-5 with 230 hours and 1700 miles. I was starting to think water in the fuel but looks like I was a bit off on that guess.

View attachment 293528
That doesn't answer why the muffler is getting so hot, it could be a lean fuel issue which could ruin the engine. I would get it straightend out befor riding again.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
No flashing lights on the dash?
Is idle or run rough?

Looks like one cylinder is not firing and the unburnt is igniting in the muffler on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No flashing lights on the dash?
Is idle or run rough?

Looks like one cylinder is not firing and the unburnt is igniting in the muffler on the way out.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I like your assessment. When running, like I said “sickly” it does sound like it’s on a single cylinder. I do have a set of plugs I keep on standby. I’ll start there.

Reactions: Jerryg
H

HondaTech

You have a broken injector harnesses wire most likely.

Honda issued the recall due to a misfire causing lean condition and making the muffler super hot and melting the plastic.

• Wow
Reactions: Mudwing and Jerryg
Jerryg

Jerryg

Sep 24, 2020
NEPA
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Thanks, I like your assessment. When running, like I said “sickly” it does sound like it’s on a single cylinder. I do have a set of plugs I keep on standby. I’ll start there.
If that is the case, change your oil. The fuel was washing down the cylinder wall as well.

Reactions: Aaron_
A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing to note, although it was fresh gas, I’d just filled from a metal can before the issue. Maybe I dumped some trash in a clogged an injector?

A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have a broken injector harnesses wire most likely.

Honda issued the recall due to a misfire causing lean condition and making the muffler super hot and melting the plastic.
Thanks! I will look into that as well. Do you happen to have a part number for that?

Edit: Disregard. I forget that I have Google and ask dumb questions sometimes. Also worth mentioning, I’ve yet to get an error code on the dash. Wouldn’t that harness throw a code?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerryg
H

HondaTech

Thanks! I will look into that as well. Do you happen to have a part number for that?

Edit: Disregard. I forget that I have Google and ask dumb questions sometimes. Also worth mentioning, I’ve yet to get an error code on the dash. Wouldn’t that harness throw a code?

It should throw an injector code yes, the 16 and 17 models were bad for injector harness crimps.

There is no part number, the store on this forum sells a pigtail or you could pull the pins and crimp it again yourself.

S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-5, doing the samething, starts in park and neutral, dies when trying to go in gear. It was under water but all oils clean, ran and worked fine for 2 days after. Got it home and problem started. Any other idea, already has a brand new battery

A

Aaron_

Sep 1, 2017
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 pioneer 1000-5, doing the samething, starts in park and neutral, dies when trying to go in gear. It was under water but all oils clean, ran and worked fine for 2 days after. Got it home and problem started. Any other idea, already has a brand new battery
My advice, from the experience above, check the plugs.

Reactions: Smitty335
H

HondaTech

Any water injestion that causes milky oil needs to have the rear cover removed and the transmission and oiling system cleaned thoroughly. If the unit was ran with the milky oil then the clutches will most likely need replaced as well or itll never work properly.

Ive done this procedure before and have had luck several times. I also had one unit that after thecleaning spun a rod bearing and damaged the crank from water damage. But then again, the customer wasnt straight forward the first time about the time he ran it with water in the oil.

Moat likely there is debris or trapped crus in the valve body or possibly behind the clutch pistons.

S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any water injestion that causes milky oil needs to have the rear cover removed and the transmission and oiling system cleaned thoroughly. If the unit was ran with the milky oil then the clutches will most likely need replaced as well or itll never work properly.

Ive done this procedure before and have had luck several times. I also had one unit that after thecleaning spun a rod bearing and damaged the crank from water damage. But then again, the customer wasnt straight forward the first time about the time he ran it with water in the oil.

Moat likely there is debris or trapped crus in the valve body or possibly behind the clutch pistons.
Ran great after under water..no slips nothing at all.. next ran great,, 4 hours sittIng on trailer then didn't lol Checked oil in all, no water in it..clean all levels are at correct levels..running out of options lol

Reactions: Smitty335
S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got new guage cluster. Now in the gear shift indicator there is a -. It blinks code 3 long 2 short, thinking thats 32. Any ideas what this could be

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!