P1000 PIONEER DYING WHEN PUT IN GEAR

S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got new guage cluster. Now in the gear shift indicator there is a -. It blinks code 3 long 2 short, thinking thats 32. Any ideas what this could be
For those that have the issue with code 32. I found my problem, it was a fuse. Make sure all the fuse terminals are clean and after cleaning and before putting fuses back in, dielectric grease...

S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How deep was your machine under water? Did you fry the gauge cluster from that?
The guage cluster had a break in the boot around the harness. So yes water fill the guage and was intermittently working. I replaced that also and sealed the harness from water in trusting. I would say 5ft deep..3 inch lift and went to edge of roof

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would say 5ft deep..3 inch lift and went to edge of roof
Glad you came out of that in decent shape. Assuming you're not snorkeled over the roof, you must've shut her off in time. You have the full vent line kit in?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your fix. Anyone submarining one should probably go thru all fuses if having problems.

Last edited:
S

spracht71

Sep 9, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sn
Glad you came out of that in decent shape. Assuming you're not snorkeled over the roof, you must've shut her off in time. You have the full vent line kit in?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your fix. Anyone submarining one should probably go thru all fuses if prob

Anyway, thanks for sharing your fix. Anyone submarining one should probably go thru all fuses if problems.
Snorkeled all the way to the roof. All vent tubes also. There were 4 total. For anyone that doesn't have the service manual I strongly recommend getting it. I paid 25 for a download able pdf. It is 800 pages but when referring to my code it gave me step by step guide and found the problem 8n less then 5 min. I even called a dealer and they had no clue where the fail safe relay was. So not sure if they were honest and just wanted the hourly rate and who knows how much they would of charged me.

R

Rjhill1969

Oct 3, 2018
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Fuel Pump....
Doesn't make sense at first but think about it.

Reactions: Smitty335
K

Kthoover

Nov 18, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, I am having the same problem it starts and runs perfectly in park and neutral but as soon as I put it in any gear it dies immediately. It is flashing “-“ and it doesn’t lurch but sounds and seems like it could be clutch. I am trying to find out what the “-“ means and hopefully how to fix it. Thank you all for any information on this.

K

Kthoover

Nov 18, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, I am having the same problem it starts and runs perfectly in park and neutral but as soon as I put it in any gear it dies immediately. It is flashing “-“ and it doesn’t lurch but sounds and seems like it could be clutch. I am trying to find out what the “-“ means and hopefully how to fix it. Thank you all for any information on this.
I foretold tell yo you that the “-“ code is 6 slow and one fast. Soy

Reactions: Smitty335
K

Kthoover

Nov 18, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am sorry I am having typing trouble also😜. The dash code is 5 long and 2 short

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I am sorry I am having typing trouble also😜. The dash code is 5 long and 2 short
Have you gotten this resolved . One thing to check is the wire plug for your shift/control motor. If it's not shifting it into gear when you put it into drive it will die . Also take the shift motor off ,take it apart and clean it up. The armature likes to get carboned up and cause problems with shifting.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a little researching this week about trying to figure out why someones rig was stuck in gear. I came across a few threads pertaining to a code 52 (5 long, 2 short) in the gear selector box. According to the manual it pertains to the neutral switch being off or on. I found that there was quite a few cases where there machine had a wire chewed through by a mouse. It seemed like it was always the same wire and it looks like it is located by the starter. There are three wire connectors there and the neutral switch was the connector with the single blue wire. For some reason this is where most people were having trouble. I'll see if I can find the thread again and send it over, but was rather surprised at how many people had the same problem. I never heard back from the guy to see what code he had, but he said he did have a pack rat living in it so it might be the same problem as others. Hope you can get it solved.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can't seem to find the thread I'm looking for ( I have it bookmarked at work) but I also found a few instances where the wire going directly to the switch came unplugged or was loose.

Hondatech was able to save Christmas here.

H

HondaTech

I did a little researching this week about trying to figure out why someones rig was stuck in gear. I came across a few threads pertaining to a code 52 (5 long, 2 short) in the gear selector box. According to the manual it pertains to the neutral switch being off or on. I found that there was quite a few cases where there machine had a wire chewed through by a mouse. It seemed like it was always the same wire and it looks like it is located by the starter. There are three wire connectors there and the neutral switch was the connector with the single blue wire. For some reason this is where most people were having trouble. I'll see if I can find the thread again and send it over, but was rather surprised at how many people had the same problem. I never heard back from the guy to see what code he had, but he said he did have a pack rat living in it so it might be the same problem as others. Hope you can get it solved.

I've had several with that code and it was always the sensor itself. Its just a ground pin that is pushed in when in neutral.

The confusion on this code/sensor is its indicating neutral in the main transmission. Not neutral in the sub trans, this is why when the code is flashing on the display the unit will show 1st gear no matter what, have a hunting idle and wont shift.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine did it 2 times this weekend. Took the ride of shame both times. Code 52. Running fine now but will let u know what I find out.
Screenshot 20220612 191859 Gallery
Screenshot 20220612 191908 Gallery

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here's the other thread I was referencing too but hopefully it is a simple fix with the neutral switch somewhere.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Mine was showing 2nd gear when it was running but wouldn't move. You could turn it off and It would start in H, L and R without pushing the brake like it was in neutral. If I would start it in P, as soon as I went to H, it would die. Code 52. We unplugged the ecu and the middle connector had some dirt in it. Cleaned it and put it back together and it run fine for a couple of miles and started acting up again. I just kept driving it for another 1/8 of a mile or so. It would act like it was hitting neutral or the clutches was slipping. I finally pulled over, thinking maybe I didn't plug the ecu back up securely. We could never get it to work correctly after that. @ToddACimer tried messing with neutral switch/sensor but with no luck. @Ohio4x4 towed me back to my place with his sweet ass tow rope. While he was bashing me through the trails it started showing a E or something similar to a E on the dash. I went out yesterday and fired it up and it worked perfect. I gave it a good washing, knowing I'm gonna have to do some work on it. I drove it 12 miles home last night and it never acted up once.
1 thing I forgot, when I was backing up the hill to wash it, it acted like the clutches slipped one time. After I washed it, I did a clutch relearn. So that's where I sit today. I probably won't mess with it until tomorrow or Wednesday.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine was showing 2nd gear when it was running but wouldn't move. You could turn it off and It would start in H, L and R without pushing the brake like it was in neutral. If I would start it in P, as soon as I went to H, it would die. Code 52. We unplugged the ecu and the middle connector had some dirt in it. Cleaned it and put it back together and it run fine for a couple of miles and started acting up again. I just kept driving it for another 1/8 of a mile or so. It would act like it was hitting neutral or the clutches was slipping. I finally pulled over, thinking maybe I didn't plug the ecu back up securely. We could never get it to work correctly after that. @ToddACimer tried messing with neutral switch/sensor but with no luck. @Ohio4x4 towed me back to my place with his sweet ass tow rope. While he was bashing me through the trails it started showing a E or something similar to a E on the dash. I went out yesterday and fired it up and it worked perfect. I gave it a good washing, knowing I'm gonna have to do some work on it. I drove it 12 miles home last night and it never acted up once.
1 thing I forgot, when I was backing up the hill to wash it, it acted like the clutches slipped one time. After I washed it, I did a clutch relearn. So that's where I sit today. I probably won't mess with it until tomorrow or Wednesday.
That sounds like a loose battery cable or ground wire.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine quit like this a few times, but I don't recall which code flashed.
Long and short, it was a ground wire.
Not the ground on the battery, there are two large grounds back in the engine compartment.
I don't have my book here to show where. Hope someone else can pick this up.
And I do hope this is the problem.

Edit: Found the old thread.

K

Kthoover

Nov 18, 2021
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My machine quit like this a few times, but I don't recall which code flashed.
Long and short, it was a ground wire.
Not the ground on the battery, there are two large grounds back in the engine compartment.
I don't have my book here to show where. Hope someone else can pick this up.
And I do hope this is the problem.

Edit: Found the old thread.

View attachment 338870
It totally has me stymied. I’ve checked the neutral switch it seems to be good I’ve followed the wire and tested for continuity and ground It starts and runs revs in neutral and park dies immediately when I let my foot off the brake when in gear Still throws code 52🤷‍♂️

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!