P1000 Pioneer vs Ranger

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I don't think Polaris likes having competition to post a video like this taking the Honda head on.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Polaris makes videos of all the competition, clearly a biased video for obvious reasons. I love my P1K5 and would chose it evertime over the Ranger. I needed something to carry 4 people that wasn't 5 miles long, something that could work, play and has a litttle giddy up and it's a Honda. I did get a chuckle when they did the 4x4 test, although I do love Polaris AWD system. Surprised they didn't start the Honda in turf mode and then go through all the driving modes lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: JACKAL
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I looked hard at a Ranger 900 and 1000, one of them being a diesel 900. I'm a loyal fan of Honda but looking at the Specs, the Ranger appeared a better value. Then I started reading all of the complaints about the poor Polaris customer service, things breaking after the warranty for no reason, and what you said, the rubber band burner. I've owned a lot of Honda products and I've never had a problem with any of them so it then became an clear decision. The reliability is unmatched.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked hard at a Ranger 900 and 1000, one of them being a diesel 900. I'm a loyal fan of Honda but looking at the Specs, the Ranger appeared a better value. Then I started reading all of the complaints about the poor Polaris customer service, things breaking after the warranty for no reason, and what you said, the rubber band burner. I've owned a lot of Honda products and I've never had a problem with any of them so it then became an clear decision. The reliability is unmatched.

I still have my 2013 sportsman 850XP, has around 1000 miles on it, still on original everything, only issue I had was the MAP sensor in cold weather would cause an erratic idle until it got warmed up and then it would run fine. It does ride like a Cadillac compared to my canam lol. The maintenance on my Polaris and canam are part of the reason that sent me back to a Honda, that and I drove a pioneer and wanted one lol. I think a lot of guys that have belt issues are not driving them in the proper range and burning up their belts always exceptions to this. My sportsman has lived a pretty easy life especially compared to my 2003 foreman 450, that poor thing was used abused and abused and swamped numerous times and abused some more and even more after that, running outlaw radials, snorkeled past the handle bars, that thing chewed up bearings on the front side 3-1 compared to the left side but it still purrs like a kitten to this day

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My son just got his Ranger back after a 2 month fight with Polaris to replace the motor. He purchased the full, factory, 5 year warranty and had a bearing seize up and it ate the motor with just 1300 miles on it. He doesn't ride mud or rocks or anything other than farm roads and the only abuse would be going too fast and plowing snow with it. I can't count the number of axles and other little wear items that he has replaced on it. Even with the full warranty, all that Polaris would finally do was send a new motor and pay for 2 1/2 hours of labor to diagnose, remove and replace the motor. He was lucky to have a good Polaris dealer, (friend of mine) go to bat for him and get him back on the road for a little more than $1000 but he would love to sell it and get into a Pioneer.

Reactions: JTW
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My son just got his Ranger back after a 2 month fight with Polaris to replace the motor. He purchased the full, factory, 5 year warranty and had a bearing seize up and it ate the motor with just 1300 miles on it. He doesn't ride mud or rocks or anything other than farm roads and the only abuse would be going too fast and plowing snow with it. I can't count the number of axles and other little wear items that he has replaced on it. Even with the full warranty, all that Polaris would finally do was send a new motor and pay for 2 1/2 hours of labor to diagnose, remove and replace the motor. He was lucky to have a good Polaris dealer, (friend of mine) go to bat for him and get him back on the road for a little more than $1000 but he would love to sell it and get into a Pioneer.

That sucks about his ranger, glad you are friends with the dealer and able to help him out, hopefully he can get his sold and buy a pioneer.

I quit going to Polaris forums, seems all you see posted on the forums are posts with issues and problems, I actually posted a thread called A Positive Thread, just so I could see some positive stuff. Polaris and Canam sure do have a lot of wear items that need replaced regularly. I'm just glad to have a Honda in the stables again.

Thought about selling my sportsman and or just buying a pioneer 500 for 50" trails and hunting. Dear Honda please give the P500 all the drive modes the p1k has and I would go buy one today!!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4

Your right !! On paper the Polaris does always look better and They are attractive.But every Polaris owner is aware of Honda reliability.;)
My brother in law refused to buy a Honda cause on paper it didn't match up to his Polaris.
This year for Christmas he kept asking about my Honda and the new Deluxe models.Then his wife let it out of bag that his Pooolaris has left them walk 3 times and is in shop right now:D:D
He argued with me on paper about the comparisons and how Pooolaris is better.All while his machine sits at dealer waiting on decisions from Reps.

Most Polaris owners won't stand behind their machines like Honda owners do. They seem to try to justify their bad decisions...

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
The new Ranger XP1000 is very nice and is more capable than the Honda. I didn't like the front seats as much as the Honda P1000 and the doors. The bed is much better and the redid the clutch and belt is a great improvement. Each machine has its pluses and minuses but the new Ranger is nothing to make fun of. I am still undecided when I upgrade my 700 the direction I will go.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The new Ranger XP1000 is very nice and is more capable than the Honda. I didn't like the front seats as much as the Honda P1000 and the doors. The bed is much better and the redid the clutch and belt is a great improvement. Each machine has its pluses and minuses but the new Ranger is nothing to make fun of. I am still undecided when I upgrade my 700 the direction I will go.

How is the ranger xp1000 more capable than the Honda? Not trying to be facetious, just curious is it from personal experience or hear say from others? There is no denying the performance of a Polaris or Canam, but there is a world of difference between Honda reliability and others except maybe Yamaha.

advertisement
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
How is the ranger xp1000 more capable than the Honda? Not trying to be facetious, just curious is it from personal experience or hear say from others? There is no denying the performance of a Polaris or Canam, but there is a world of difference between Honda reliability and others except maybe Yamaha.

Tundraman is talking about the new 2018 Ranger

more power, bigger tires, more clearance, more cup holders!
But still a Polaris

my brother-in-law has got a 2018 I just haven't got up there to ride it yet.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I really don't get your test, where is the dirt, mud, downed trees and rocks. I have a truck that I know will run 100 mph on the HWY???????

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It's impressive for sure and to each their own, I have always said I'm not brand loyal on most things because non of them sponsor me lol, but I strayed away from Honda for my Canam xmr1000 and Polaris sportsman 850XP (my sportsman is hands down without a doubt the most comfortable riding atv I have ever owned) but after owning both for several years I came Back to Honda for low maintenance and reliability as well being able to haul 5 people on a short wheel base.

Flgator_80

Flgator_80

Lifetime Member
Dec 5, 2017
Lexington, Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being able to carry 5 ppl and not be a bus....Trump card. We going to win like no other to the point of your going to say I'm tired of winning so much! But no we are still going to win! Lol

J

JTW

A Polaris is like a woman that wears a lot of makeup.. they're great when all put together and looking good. And they turn a lot of heads when they’re in their prime. But it’s all smoke and mirrors.. the day eventually comes when you realize it was just a high maintenance ride that really didn’t hold up like it should.

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
A Polaris is like a woman that wears a lot of makeup.. they're great when all put together and looking good. And they turn a lot of heads when they’re in their prime. But it’s all smoke and mirrors.. the day eventually comes when you realize it was just a high maintenance ride that really didn’t hold up like it should.

Did you run out of make up again last night JT?

Reactions: knuckledeep
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!