lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Joint Statement of CPSC and Polaris on Polaris RZR 900 and 1000 Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs)

Upload 2017 12 30 17 20 13

(emphasis added)

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Reactions: Plumber32
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Crimped gas tank vent hoses, causing tank pressurization, brake master cylinder over heating, back firing and recall heat shield installed with plastic rivets.

I know on the sportsman 1Ks they were having heat issues with the exhaust melting plastics, couple that with grass or leaves mixed with mud and poof.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know on the sportsman 1Ks they were having heat issues with the exhaust melting plastics, couple that with grass or leaves mixed with mud and poof.
I know a guy that has one, got packed with grass and fried the motor. I was pretty disgusted with Honda over the seat heat but at least it was a safe heat. All is well with the heat issue now.

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know a guy that has one, got packed with grass and fried the motor. I was pretty disgusted with Honda over the seat heat but at least it was a safe heat. All is well with the heat issue now.

I had a lot of heat from my exhaust until I modded the exhaust for better flow, exhaust was definitely cooler temperature wise after the mod, didn't really add a whole lot of sound either

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
This wasn't meant as a bash thread I came across the video and thought Polaris must feel threatened by the Pioneer to make a full head on advertisement comparing the two. And personally I have owned Honda, Polaris and Arctic Cat the only one I had towed was my A/C the coil died after 12 years of service a used one off eBay had me riding again.

My sportsman and Honda waiting to be loaded and ride.
20170920 074148

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
And I didn't make it out to my local riding area this year for new years (stitches and staples in my head) but I went over by it and the amount of Honda's on trailers headed there was impressive to see. When we bought ours we were 1 of 3 now it's nearly even spread between brands.

Reactions: knuckledeep
advertisement
H

HondaTech

The only thing Polaris does better is catch on fire.

Yamaha did this with the 420 Rancher too, none of the points they made were relevant or actually true. They tried to point out you have to remove your hand from the bars to engage 4wd. Did they forget that you had to do the same on the Yamaha to engage reverse. Which on the Honda you don't.

Seriously though every one of these I've worked on in the 6 seater model have had fuel injector wires melted to the head cover under the rear passenger seats. Right next to the fuel lines, just asking to start a fire. The ignition wires are known to go bad for the same reason, heat!!

My service rep said when developing the P1K, Honda benchmarked it against the Ranger 900XP. He said they hooked them up and had a pull off. The Ranger just smoked the belt and got pulled backwards.

Alot of people like the flashy specs and taglines Polaris throws out. Which is what their designed to Do, pull you in to buy the product. But of all the people who have tried to trade in a Ranger or RZR for a Pioneer or just got rid of theirs to get a Pioneer the # 1 issue has been after purchase service. Recalls, and crap warranty coverage killed the faith in the product they bought.

I'll say it over and over again Polaris does not, I repeat DOES NOT sell a extended warranty. It's a 3rd party and will not fix their junk. HPP is a Honda warrantt and is going to be the same as that 1st year warranty, with a few small exemptions.

I don't know how many potential P1K buyers have dropped the standard Polaris 3 year warranty crap on me to talk down Honda's 1. Then I direct them to Poalris's website and tell them to show me where this standard 3 year warranty is. They'll soon find out it's only 6 months and that's when they give up on that junk.

No one will ever sell me on the pos that Polaris dumps on people who can't even afford a decent truck to haul their $25k RZR around on. They know it won't last the life of the loan anyway.

J

JTW

The only thing Polaris does better is catch on fire.

Yamaha did this with the 420 Rancher too, none of the points they made were relevant or actually true. They tried to point out you have to remove your hand from the bars to engage 4wd. Did they forget that you had to do the same on the Yamaha to engage reverse. Which on the Honda you don't.

Seriously though every one of these I've worked on in the 6 seater model have had fuel injector wires melted to the head cover under the rear passenger seats. Right next to the fuel lines, just asking to start a fire. The ignition wires are known to go bad for the same reason, heat!!

My service rep said when developing the P1K, Honda benchmarked it against the Ranger 900XP. He said they hooked them up and had a pull off. The Ranger just smoked the belt and got pulled backwards.

Alot of people like the flashy specs and taglines Polaris throws out. Which is what their designed to Do, pull you in to buy the product. But of all the people who have tried to trade in a Ranger or RZR for a Pioneer or just got rid of theirs to get a Pioneer the # 1 issue has been after purchase service. Recalls, and crap warranty coverage killed the faith in the product they bought.

I'll say it over and over again Polaris does not, I repeat DOES NOT sell a extended warranty. It's a 3rd party and will not fix their junk. HPP is a Honda warrantt and is going to be the same as that 1st year warranty, with a few small exemptions.

I don't know how many potential P1K buyers have dropped the standard Polaris 3 year warranty crap on me to talk down Honda's 1. Then I direct them to Poalris's website and tell them to show me where this standard 3 year warranty is. They'll soon find out it's only 6 months and that's when they give up on that junk.

No one will ever sell me on the pos that Polaris dumps on people who can't even afford a decent truck to haul their $25k RZR around on. They know it won't last the life of the loan anyway.
And their cab system... and the fact that they actually do make a sport model! Come on Honda!!!

Reactions: CumminsPusher
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 900 Ranger had way too many problems in about 2500 miles so I fixed it and sold it. Polaris screwed me on 2 of my 3 Polaris models. The 2018 1000 is better but use a 3 seat Honda in the drag race and they are close. The cab on any brand has huge dust problems. My buddy had the high end Ranger with the factory A/C. The dust comes through the dash, floor, and seat area so the Cab and A/C is only ok on pavement. The Can-Am Defender is hurting ranger sales and the Honda too. I'm at 10,400 and some miles on my 2016 P1000-3 and nothing broke, just oil changes and tires. Try getting a belt drive to go 10,000 miles. My 2011 RZR 900 went 8,300 miles on the belt but I had a clean air intake from under the roof. Both pulleys were worn out so for $1,700 I got a new belt drive. The rear pulley was installed without grease so it rusted to transmission shaft and had to be cut off. Belt drive models should cost about $2,000 less then a Honda. When do you change a belt. Compare it with a new factory belt and somewhere between 1mm to 2mm of wear. 1mm is better so the bottom of the pulley doesn't get a gruve worn into it that will eat a new belt. Belt drive works good for someone that drives under 1000 miles a year but in less then 10 years it will dry rot and come apart at high rpm. Belt drive just doesn't work for me.

J

JTW

My 900 Ranger had way too many problems in about 2500 miles so I fixed it and sold it. Polaris screwed me on 2 of my 3 Polaris models. The 2018 1000 is better but use a 3 seat Honda in the drag race and they are close. The cab on any brand has huge dust problems. My buddy had the high end Ranger with the factory A/C. The dust comes through the dash, floor, and seat area so the Cab and A/C is only ok on pavement. The Can-Am Defender is hurting ranger sales and the Honda too. I'm at 10,400 and some miles on my 2016 P1000-3 and nothing broke, just oil changes and tires. Try getting a belt drive to go 10,000 miles. My 2011 RZR 900 went 8,300 miles on the belt but I had a clean air intake from under the roof. Both pulleys were worn out so for $1,700 I got a new belt drive. The rear pulley was installed without grease so it rusted to transmission shaft and had to be cut off. Belt drive models should cost about $2,000 less then a Honda. When do you change a belt. Compare it with a new factory belt and somewhere between 1mm to 2mm of wear. 1mm is better so the bottom of the pulley doesn't get a gruve worn into it that will eat a new belt. Belt drive works good for someone that drives under 1000 miles a year but in less then 10 years it will dry rot and come apart at high rpm. Belt drive just doesn't work for me.
I always like hearing your opinions... multiple machines and lots of miles, carry a lot of weight!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Polaris (and Yamaha) has/have been making these videos for years. Just biased propaganda I would never put any faith in regardless of which MFG they came from. There was one comparing the Ranger 570 to the 700. They started talking about how the door entry has 30% more foot room than the Honda. That's what i would call grasping at straws.

I'm hoping to be the guinea pig with a new 1000 Ranger. They were doing a contest called Ranger Country that I entered several times. The prize is a new 1000, and I am sure I will win it. Right after I ride a unicorn out of Lost Dutchman mine.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This wasn't meant as a bash thread I came across the video and thought Polaris must feel threatened by the Pioneer to make a full head on advertisement comparing the two. And personally I have owned Honda, Polaris and Arctic Cat the only one I had towed was my A/C the coil died after 12 years of service a used one off eBay had me riding again.

My sportsman and Honda waiting to be loaded and ride.
View attachment 60894
Ive owned cats and alot of friends do. Never much problems out of any of them. Id get one again in a heartbeat. Especially that 700 sport. Its awsome.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ive owned cats and alot of friends do. Never much problems out of any of them. Id get one again in a heartbeat. Especially that 700 sport. Its awsome.
The thing I always heard about AC was that they were awesome with warranty claims.

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement