Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Went to my dealer for oil and filters last week for first maintenance on the 1000. I walked out of there very happy. I asked a few questions about coverage and how things go we got to talking and the outcome is in the Honda favor. They said not near the personage of Hondas are in the shop for major issues as CanAm and Polaris (who knew:)) even considering how the percentage of their sales is Polaris. Said Honda is definitely better about covering warranty issues then any other make. Even when they occasionally try to get out a little push is all it takes. Honda has drastically more fluid capacity then the others even considering the transmission differences and both front and rear end amours are way higher. Service is less and as long as you run good api oils they are good the a receipt as long as your name is on it. Valve adjust is way less frequent you name it. They will even cover k&n as long as it's documented on filter cleanings. He showed me the policies and was very happy. Polaris requires you to run all Polaris oil,oil filters,and air filters. I guess Polaris uses amsoil but colors the oil so they know what you used and charges drastically higher price for the color but will drop claims if everything isn't totally up to par. I remember when we bought the 1000 the tried to charge us 1800+ to have full warranty I was beside myself then they told me I'd have a full 5 1/2 years of coverage I said wtf Honda has a year along it should be 6yrs. It took the owner coming in and straightening it out, since the 1000 was so new the damn guy was giving me Polaris 1000 numbers. After a little figuring out I now have 6yrs for 680$ big difference-even the insurance company knows which is better! Ridiculous! I've never bought warranty on a new Honda but wanted it in this one better safe then sorry! For 1800 I would've trusted the machine but for under 5% why not! At any rate it was so nice to see all the numbers. I figure the difference in price between extended warranty and the prices of oil and filters and maintenance over the next 5 years I'll save 3000 and that's not including what would have been "normal wear and tear" and belts that wouldn't have been covered. We all knew this stuff but it's nice to see it on paper. Looks like oil and filers for the next bunch of years. ---Honda for life!---

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
As far as I know you can only get a total of 4 years of warranty.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As far as I know you can only get a total of 4 years of warranty.
I think that's true for a Honda warranty. Longer warranties should be possible through other providers/dealers.

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think that's true for a Honda warranty. Longer warranties should be possible through other providers/dealers.

Waylan
Mine is through My dealer. That's why they tried to quote me the Polaris price

Last edited:
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
a short read around here and I see plenty of product quality / design issues. I owned both a rzr and a maverick and had zero warranty needs so.....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
a short read around here and I see plenty of product quality / design issues. I owned both a rzr and a maverick and had zero warranty needs so.....
You must not of put many miles on them or only cruising on dirt roads we had plenty of Polaris and CanAms and we've never made it to 2500 without going through the machine and 4-5belts. We had zero problems with our pioneer 700-none. Put 2600 on it in 9 months and just 3 oil changes a set of tires and filter cleanings. If you read through the Polaris websites they are littered with crap and it's always the same stuff that fails so it's not just the people. Everyone knows Honda is better even the insurance companies. Look at the price of a 10 year old Rubicon even resale shows it. They will sell with 10k on them you couldn't give away a Polaris or CanAm with that. Everytine I'm on Craigslist you always see them selling incredible looking rigs with 5-10,000 dollars into them with between 2-2500mi on them. Why? They just like selling popo at dealers because they get to sell you a new one every 2500 and their service department gets work. Most people I know that go any distance with one carry extra belt and lots of tools and tend to ride in packs with a tow strap "just in case" and stay away from water. They buy aftermarket items to "fix" them. We still own a Polaris x2 and its on its 5th belt, 4th valve adjust, suspension totally gone through (needs again) rear fold down seat has been replaced onece and needs again, exhaust can rusted through, two throttle assemblies, all wheel bearings once needs back again speedo replaced,downhill decent quit working at around 1100 and started growling (something with the fluid control?) and went back to the dealer 3 times because it would think it was hot (when wasn't) and just shut down in the middle of nowhere because it went into overheat mode. I'm probably leaving stuff out but it's like the others we've had I'm just using as reference because because we currently own it. We towed it back twice just last year with the Honda. It's only got 2800 on it. It's junk been that way since 1500. I don't have the the heart to sell it to anyone and I still owe more then it's worth it's a 2014. Ill choose Honda every time even people with the polaris have Honda generator lawnmower and quite often their wife drives a Honda. Between mine and my wife's Honda dirt bikes there is over 25,000 miles. Can't imagine Polaris dirt bikes...just saying.

Last edited:
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
well I am interested in buying one because I really like my electric shift rancher....is a lot of fun banging gears even with auto clutch. And your right I did not have many miles on either my rzr or my mav, less than 1k.....and this Honda will see low miles as well. However, you don't need to put lots of miles to see what we have going on here that are issues. Slipping burning clutches with not enough grunt to spin tires in a thick mudhole (very concerning for me), cab heat (poor design no fans etc), cheesy shocks, very heavy, stiff seats, rattling doors/bed, inappropriate gearing ratio, overly tall, etc. I'm not brand bias and wont be wearing blinders. my rzr was great, just needed more power but in 09, it was the best available. My can-am was awesome, no complaints at all.....I only sold to look for more passenger capacity and the rzr and can-am 4 models are just too big...I like the hybrid design of this pioneer-5. I see too many bugs and am seriously wondering if it would be wise to wait for the MY 017 to hopefully see at least these reliability issues addressed.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
well I am interested in buying one because I really like my electric shift rancher....is a lot of fun banging gears even with auto clutch. And your right I did not have many miles on either my rzr or my mav, less than 1k.....and this Honda will see low miles as well. However, you don't need to put lots of miles to see what we have going on here that are issues. Slipping burning clutches with not enough grunt to spin tires in a thick mudhole (very concerning for me), cab heat (poor design no fans etc), cheesy shocks, very heavy, stiff seats, rattling doors/bed, inappropriate gearing ratio, overly tall, etc. I'm not brand bias and wont be wearing blinders. my rzr was great, just needed more power but in 09, it was the best available. My can-am was awesome, no complaints at all.....I only sold to look for more passenger capacity and the rzr and can-am 4 models are just too big...I like the hybrid design of this pioneer-5. I see too many bugs and am seriously wondering if it would be wise to wait for the MY 017 to hopefully see at least these reliability issues addressed.

I always think competition spam/troll when I read posts like this. New member, icon of an older Honda ATC, wonderful experiences from 2 models of the competition (yet you no longer own either), etc.

Waylan

Reactions: Null
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
I always think competition spam/troll when I read posts like this. New member, icon of an older Honda ATC, wonderful experiences from 2 models of the competition (yet you no longer own either), etc.

Waylan
lol. yeah I work for pol and can-am. lmao. I only speak truth my friend. I recall the same kind brand bigots talking trash when I was on rzr forums talking about good experience with my can-am , and vice versa. Thats a mighty small world you live in if you think all other brands are so problematic and junky. FYI, they all have their pros and cons. Oh and yes, That is my 85 atc 250sx. Been in my stable for many years. I have also owned fl250, and fl350, and too many Honda to recall. I've owned many polaris atv as well.....which I'm sure you would'nt believe were great machines.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
lol. yeah I work for pol and can-am. lmao. I only speak truth my friend. I recall the same kind brand bigots talking trash when I was on rzr forums talking about good experience with my can-am , and vice versa. Thats a mighty small world you live in if you think all other brands are so problematic and junky. FYI, they all have their pros and cons. Oh and yes, That is my 85 atc 250sx. Been in my stable for many years. I have also owned fl250, and fl350, and too many Honda to recall. I've owned many polaris atv as well.....which I'm sure you would'nt believe were great machines.
Ive had 3 Polaris atvs with very few problems still own 2 - it's not like I can't believe someone has had good service out of a Polaris. But go on over to the rzr forum and read about all their common problems then come back over here and tell me how the pioneer 1000 is so different. I'm not brand loyal. I hate fan boys blindly defending a model, but I also don't care for people slamming the machine for issues that are common across all brands. Cab heat, squeaks, rattles common on several models. Where have you gotten "cheesy shocks, very heavy, stiff seats"? Why don't you spend some time in one before spewing what you have no first hand knowledge of?

Reactions: Null
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Ive had 3 Polaris atvs with very few problems still own 2 - it's not like I can't believe someone has had good service out of a Polaris. But go on over to the rzr forum and read about all their common problems then come back over here and tell me how the pioneer 1000 is so different. I'm not brand loyal. I hate fan boys blindly defending a model, but I also don't care for people slamming the machine for issues that are common across all brands. Cab heat, squeaks, rattles common on several models. Where have you gotten "cheesy shocks, very heavy, stiff seats"? Why don't you spend some time in one before spewing what you have no first hand knowledge of?
ok well the 1000 pioneer is a new model correct? yes it is. Your assuming it will have no, or less issues than other brands right off the bat....its already off to a start with many issues so as to the rzr forum you speak of......of which TEN OF 1000's of units and riders have been out there pounding on them as it is a SPORT sxs, not utility like these.
Next, I plan to buy so yes I went to look at. I can clearly see the shocks are not clickers, or rebuildable, or aluminum bodied. Others have these features don't they? Steel throwaways are cheesy. As for the seats, I sat in and never had to leave the showroom floor to realize they are hard and not at all soft like on either my previous rzr, or can-am. Its not a deal breaker, but I thought worth mentioning as I value comfort especially while traveling on rough terrain all day. BTW, never even heard of "cab heat" on the rzr which you claim is common on all brands.
In no way shape or form is Honda less prone to issues, so stop pretending they have some superior unbreakable and perfect product.
I'm only here to see if these issues are manageable and to see if the next 15k I spend will be worth it. I'm liking based on features not some perceived notion of superiority. The flip out bed seating, under 10' length 5 passenger and with DCT is what Got me here.

Kingmudd

Kingmudd

Nov 22, 2015
Hotrod are those nerf bars on your 250sx in your avatar pic? I'm looking for some for mine.
Oh and the reason I bought my 1000 was for the 5 pass seating and the DCT. My family absolutely loves it that's why I gave it a shot.

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Hotrod are those nerf bars on your 250sx in your avatar pic? I'm looking for some for mine.
Oh and the reason I bought my 1000 was for the 5 pass seating and the DCT. My family absolutely loves it that's why I gave it a shot.
Yes I adapted those from a Yamaha warrior application...they fit with very little effort and look like oem!. They have nets as well. They help keep my feet from getting sucked into rear tires too. lol. I only putt it around on occasion to reminisce.. My brother and I had a brand new 250r back in the day....too old for one of those bone breakers today . hehehehe
Look what I have in my living room. Exact same mini-bike I had when I was 5 y.o. I rode this this before ever riding a bicycle lol

HPIM0864

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
ok well the 1000 pioneer is a new model correct? yes it is. Your assuming it will have no, or less issues than other brands right off the bat....its already off to a start with many issues so as to the rzr forum you speak of......of which TEN OF 1000's of units and riders have been out there pounding on them as it is a SPORT sxs, not utility like these.
Next, I plan to buy so yes I went to look at. I can clearly see the shocks are not clickers, or rebuildable, or aluminum bodied. Others have these features don't they? Steel throwaways are cheesy. As for the seats, I sat in and never had to leave the showroom floor to realize they are hard and not at all soft like on either my previous rzr, or can-am. Its not a deal breaker, but I thought worth mentioning as I value comfort especially while traveling on rough terrain all day. BTW, never even heard of "cab heat" on the rzr which you claim is common on all brands.
In no way shape or form is Honda less prone to issues, so stop pretending they have some superior unbreakable and perfect product.
I'm only here to see if these issues are manageable and to see if the next 15k I spend will be worth it. I'm liking based on features not some perceived notion of superiority. The flip out bed seating, under 10' length 5 passenger and with DCT is what Got me here.
Hey hotrod I've already got more miles on my '16 1000-5 (no problems at all two oil changes) then you do you're '09 rig why don't you ride more then get back. My experience comes with actually putting miles on things. Our whole group does we will put up to 300 miles on the sxs in a weekend. When I'm not riding it my kids or friends are same with our quad dirtbikes and snowmobiles and all of our previous machines maybe if I I wasn't going to ride i would consider going back to rzr because they sure are pretty and under a 1000mi anything is fairly dependable. We camp 25-30 weekends a year I'll have around 3000k on the pioneer this year I can't afford Polaris for that kind of miles we'd burn it up by years end. Seems like you just buy them to look at them

Last edited:
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
Hey hotrod I've already got more miles on my '16 1000-5 (no problems at all two oil changes) then you do you're '09 rig why don't you ride more then get back. My experience comes with actually putting miles on things. Our whole group does we will put up to 300 miles on the sxs in a weekend. When I'm not riding it my kids or friends are same with our quad dirtbikes and snowmobiles and all of our previous machines maybe if I I wasn't going to ride i would consider going back to rzr because they sure are pretty and under a 1000mi anything is fairly dependable. We camp 25-30 weekends a year I'll have around 3000k on the pioneer this year I can't afford Polaris for that kind of miles we'd burn it up by years end. Seems like you just buy them to look at them
Nice try. I ride very technical trails that are not conducive to high miles. We have boulders, mud pits, and some nasty bumpy stuff. To go 1k miles where I ride would demand many parts from wear and tear no matter what your brand. The difference would be in getting to the other side, and back. 20 miles is a good day. Also, My 09 was sold back in 012. I have other toys so my sxs does not get used exclusively every time I can get out. My Argo does not even have a speedo, just an hour meter........thats because they are made for technical travel through mud swamps ponds streams even lakes. Lots of fun that thing is. Judging someone by "miles" for off-road is very misleading. I will give you kudos tho, 3k a year even on nice trails is alot. That said, I know some guys that would trash and break your Honda within an hour so lets keep everything in perspective here.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Image Image
Nice try. I ride very technical trails that are not conducive to high miles. We have boulders, mud pits, and some nasty bumpy stuff. To go 1k miles where I ride would demand many parts from wear and tear no matter what your brand. The difference would be in getting to the other side, and back. 20 miles is a good day. Also, My 09 was sold back in 012. I have other toys so my sxs does not get used exclusively every time I can get out. My Argo does not even have a speedo, just an hour meter........thats because they are made for technical travel through mud swamps ponds streams even lakes. Lots of fun that thing is. Judging someone by "miles" for off-road is very misleading. I will give you kudos tho, 3k a year even on nice trails is alot. That said, I know some guys that would trash and break your Honda within an hour so lets keep everything in perspective here.
Most of our riding is not nice trails. If you read my build you'll see that I'm not a pavement queen. The dirt road we drive our bus in on to camp is what most people think off road is and surly wouldn't bring there motorhome in on. We don't camp on cement. We average about 200 miles on it a weekend but it never shuts off I mean never. Probably running 25 hours on a weekend (that's average of 8mph so yes technical I just don't break much other then alignments mud flaps and front fenders) well even ride fully loaded tunes up lights on till 5 in the morning it's damn near all technical. We do that 3 days a week 25 times a year it doesn't just sit in the garage. I wash it maybe 4 times a year because we're to busy riding. We bring a chainsaw with to get to wherever we want we will make our own path through the woods and be on single track a lot. My rig is always beat to death it's got a broken windshield super scratched up sides and the roof is damaged on both sides from using it as a skid plate through trees and the lugs are always missing. A 5 passenger Polaris is never going to follow us ever! It'll be sitting in a creek with wet belt,broke down or high centered anywhere we go. Shoot I'm texting you while we're riding now. My 10yo daughter is driving it right now (and she was on a dirtbike before 3 so this is easy) so I can finish off some more beers. Putting this kinds of miles on a vehicle without it being just dirt roads is highly possible you just need to ride a lot. I know I'm very bias but we've had all rigs so has our whole group and laying down these kind of miles a year and not having time for maintenance is brutal on most rigs from what we've seen in nearly 12 years of riding like this only Honda puts up with it. Honda has only left us stranded once and that's when I totaled out my 700(however I rebuilt it myself and still no problems) doing what you call "technical " we ride hard. " follow the leaded he's on a Honda" from the eighties comes to mind. I'm very bias on Honda! That's why I'm on this site. Even when we had nothing but popo I wasn't on the Polaris site because other then ride quality new I had nothing good to say I always dreamed that Honda would start building a sxs. Then they did! I'll never buy another belt. Once you enjoy that 6speed paddle with true engine braking you'll never go back. I truly hope you'll come around and seethe difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: HotRodLincoln
HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
That is awesome CP! A very good testament I must say. I hope mine will be as rugged as yours....wait, it wont need to be. hehehe. I'm really liking the whole dual clutch. Belt drive I never had issue with (cept back in late 80's when pol atv came out & wet belt issues), but reduced driver control can add a bit of boredom. My first E/S was a recon....I always had more smiles on that than did my grizzly 660, numerous pols, brute force 750....you get the idea. My rancher is a 014 and is fun. I'll be slappin them paddles soon enough. I would love to wait for the 017 model, but not sure I can. :) Can ya just tell me they're junk and wait for the fixes on the 017 please. :)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That is awesome CP! A very good testament I must say. I hope mine will be as rugged as yours....wait, it wont need to be. hehehe. I'm really liking the whole dual clutch. Belt drive I never had issue with (cept back in late 80's when pol atv came out & wet belt issues), but reduced driver control can add a bit of boredom. My first E/S was a recon....I always had more smiles on that than did my grizzly 660, numerous pols, brute force 750....you get the idea. My rancher is a 014 and is fun. I'll be slappin them paddles soon enough. I would love to wait for the 017 model, but not sure I can. :) Can ya just tell me they're junk and wait for the fixes on the 017 please. :)
Well we did get off subject a bit and I really do hope I don't come across as an ass but from all the experience my family has had over the years and the mileage we've put on has made me smarter and very brand specific. I've just seen the same thing over and over. With that said the people that do have good luck with other brands will sure as hell have good luck with Honda. I just don't have the kind of cash or time for maintenance to keep other brands going for 25 weekends a year. It's hard enough now and can't imagine keeping all 10 of our orv's maintained and running if if at least the majority wasn't Honda. Can't wait till Honda builds a two up quad so we can set our last Polaris on fire. It's one of our loaner vehicles and is two up but can ride 3-4 very comfortably so we are just waiting. There are a few things I wasn't thrilled about with the Honda but I'm usually a perfectionist with ocd so I did fix them but this list very honestly was drastically less then all the others we've had. We even dealt with the mediocre power of the 700 we had prior just because of how damn reliable it was. At the same time we had a 900 rzr and always took the 700 just trusting it to get us home. It was a really good machine and will probably get another for our fleet next year just hope for a little more power or paddles or a trans with more gears any of those I'd take because the suspension can be fixed. I loved our 700 it opened my eyes and allowed us massively more miles a year then what we were use to. I absolutely believe in Honda and deep down it seems you do to. Any brand with certain people doing the wrong things can fail but truly believe Honda does it less. I'd honestly tell you to go get one now do the warranty just in case (it's a lot of money) and go enjoy the thing without worry of putting too many miles on it. Go have fun. On the positive side since you like technical rides just wait till you drop it in low 1st and be able to balance on a log then jump the throttle to the next one and sit on it. That snowmobile tranny on others sucks. It'll be right at home in your hands in the rough! Other then size a little it makes the rzr look stupid at times it's so surefooted. Love that tranny! Good luck my friend

Last edited:
Reactions: Stauvo and joeymt33
walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

1. yes, the pioneer 1000 is a new model. Nowhere did I assume it will have no or less issues than other brands right off the bat. I said alot of the things you are faulting it with are common among other side by sides. And sure, there are tens of thousands of rzrs out there, but all 4 that I drove prior to purchasing my pioneer had the front end sound like a can of rocks rolling around. Polaris says it's normal, but if you read up on it not all rzrs do it - just ALOT of them. That is unacceptable quality control. The front driveline must be rebalanced and rephased. Carrier bearings are a common problem - if they were not, there would not be aftermarket support like sandcraft. Sure, aftermarket makes better parts to replace oem components - but something like a carrier bearing shouldn't need aftermarket support. Shocks, skid plates, etc., yes - but not the carrier bearing. Nor the fuel rail.

2. shocks - sure, it would have been nice if Honda had provided top of the line adjustable shocks so i agree with you there. BUT it IS a sport/utility. Honda KNOWS how to do suspension as you can see on their sport atvs and motocross, and I'm positive if they offer a sport version with the 1000/DCT combo it will come with some really nice shocks. I suspect they were probably shooting for a price point and couldn't hit the target with a good set of adjustable/rebuildable shocks. The self-adjusting rear shocks are a nice touch though.

3. seats - I've been on several all-day rides in my pioneer 1000-5 and absolutely no complaints regarding comfort from me or any of my passengers. I've been in a few rzrs and I don't recall their seats being any more cush - you are sitting in a different riding position in the Pioneer versus the rzr, but I really couldn't tell alot of difference in comfort.

4. Never heard of cab heat in a rzr? Are you kidding me? Do you ONLY visit the Pioneer forum to look for problems? Did you really own a rzr? Do you need me to go to the other mfg's forums and post links to their cab heat problems?
cab heat - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Heat in the cab - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Heat coming from behind seats. - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Heat in the cab - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Heat issues in the 900s cab... - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Excessive heat in cabin - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Driver Heat - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
RZR heat in cab problem solved! - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Heat from between seats !!! HOTT - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net
Cab Heat gotta go! - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net

5. I've never said Honda is less prone to issues, and I've never pretended they have some superior unbreakable and perfect product. But I do think they are generally better engineered. Better ball joints, better tie rod ends, better drive shafts, better a-arm bushings........all the stuff that generally gets trashed pretty quick on a Polaris. Remember that I've had 3 polaris atvs - while I consider the ones I had to be solid atvs, I've been through my fair share of the above. I've also had a few Honda atvs, and the same components have not needed replacement.

Waylan

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!