Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've known people with 20yo Honda atv's and they just go. Like I said as soon as Honda builds a two up I'm out of my last popo. If they don't do it soon I'll steal iowaguy s idea and do a four seat 500. I want out of that Polaris!!!!

Reactions: joeymt33
Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
I guess Polaris uses amsoil but colors the oil so they know what you used and charges drastically higher price for the color but will drop claims if everything isn't totally up to par.

Polaris does not use AMSOIL. Polaris oil is made by a private label bottler by the name of "Lube Tech", a Minnesota oil company that specializes in creating brands for OEM's, primarily the small engine OEM's like Polaris, Arctic Cat, Husqvarna and the like. I seen that name on oil shipments to local dealer and at one time Polaris even mentioned it on their web site.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Polaris does not use AMSOIL. Polaris oil is made by a private label bottler by the name of "Lube Tech", a Minnesota oil company that specializes in creating brands for OEM's, primarily the small engine OEM's like Polaris, Arctic Cat, Husqvarna and the like. I seen that name on oil shipments to local dealer and at one time Polaris even mentioned it on their web site.
Well that was going off a great mechanic friend from a Honda/Polaris dealer who I trust pretty well. I'm wondering do they have any link then somehow with Amsoil or come from the same plant? He said they color it specifically so they can tell that's what's in there for warranty and if anything else is found theyll deny claim but if that was incorrect then I apologize. Normally he's pretty spot on

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
Well that was going off a great mechanic friend from a Honda/Polaris dealer who I trust pretty well. I'm wondering do they have any link then somehow with Amsoil or come from the same plant? He said they color it specifically so they can tell that's what's in there for warranty and if anything else is found theyll deny claim but if that was incorrect then I apologize. Normally he's pretty spot on

That mechanic was either bs'ing you or repeating rumor someone else told him.

AMSOIL is ONLY manufactured in one location since they started in 1972, Superior Wisconsin, about 225 miles from me and I have been there many times over the years. I been in their testing lab and seen all the oils they tested, Polaris oil is among the many.

Lubetech

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That mechanic was either bs'ing you or repeating rumor someone else told him.

AMSOIL is ONLY manufactured in one location since they started in 1972, Superior Wisconsin, about 225 miles from me and I have been there many times over the years. I been in their testing lab and seen all the oils they tested, Polaris oil is among the many.

Lubetech
Yes I just spent some time looking it up and it is Lubetech thank you for the information it's best to have it correct. It does seem that there are better choices from what many are saying about the oil analysis on it though.

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
OEMs like Polaris and many many others often suggest in owner’s manuals, advertisements or through dealership personnel that motorists and enthusiasts must use the OEM-branded oil to comply with the new vehicle or equipment warranty. The tactic is especially pervasive in the powersports market. Some OEMs include warnings of catastrophic engine failure should a non-OEM oil be used.

These are nothing more than fear tactics meant to strong-arm motorists and enthusiasts into buying the OEM-branded lubricant. Many are unaware, however, that it is against the law for OEMs to tie use of a specific brand of oil to the warranty, as implicitly stated in the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, or to void the warranty simply because motorists practice extended drain intervals or use, for example, a non-API-certified oil.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
OEMs like Polaris and many many others often suggest in owner’s manuals, advertisements or through dealership personnel that motorists and enthusiasts must use the OEM-branded oil to comply with the new vehicle or equipment warranty. The tactic is especially pervasive in the powersports market. Some OEMs include warnings of catastrophic engine failure should a non-OEM oil be used.

These are nothing more than fear tactics meant to strong-arm motorists and enthusiasts into buying the OEM-branded lubricant. Many are unaware, however, that it is against the law for OEMs to tie use of a specific brand of oil to the warranty, as implicitly stated in the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, or to void the warranty simply because motorists practice extended drain intervals or use, for example, a non-API-certified oil.
So if someone knows about this they could still legitimately get it done through warranty? That's very good information I'll be looking that up as I want to know more

Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
So if someone knows about this they could still legitimately get it done through warranty? That's very good information I'll be looking that up as I want to know more
A warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of ‘unauthorized’ articles or service.

If anyone ever tells you your warranty is void unless you use OEM filter or OEM oil, ask them to put that in writing. They never will because they know its not legal for them to do that. Legally they can say that if they provide those items at NO CHARGE.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warranties | Consumer Information

MLM Law - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

BMW Settles FTC Charges That It Required Consumers To Use Specific Parts, Service Centers Or Lose Warranties

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A warrantor cannot, as a matter of law, avoid liability under a warranty where a defect is unrelated to the use by a consumer of ‘unauthorized’ articles or service.

Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Warranties | Consumer Information

MLM Law - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
Nice @ZZ15 !! It looks like manufactures use that on misinformed individuals (apparently myself included) I did know the service end of it. So by the wording of the law even second party insurance has to abid by that. You caught my question before I asked it. Thank you for for the information. I hope others adhere to the words. Good stuff again thank you.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
In layman terms here it is

"Tie-In Sales" Provisions
Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

While you cannot use a tie-in sales provision, your warranty need not cover use of replacement parts, repairs, or maintenance that is inappropriate for your product. The following is an example of a permissible provision that excludes coverage of such things.

While necessary maintenance or repairs on your AudioMundo Stereo System can be performed by any company, we recommend that you use only authorized AudioMundo dealers. Improper or incorrectly performed maintenance or repair voids this warranty.

Although tie-in sales provisions generally are not allowed, you can include such a provision in your warranty if you can demonstrate to the satisfaction of the FTC that your product will not work properly without a specified item or service. If you believe that this is the case, you should contact the warranty staff of the FTC's Bureau of Consumer Protection for information on how to apply for a waiver of the tie-in sales prohibition.

Awesome information it seems as long as the oil is api rated correctly you should be good. @ZZ15 !

advertisement
Z

ZZ15

Apr 18, 2016
Michigan
The objective of OEM dealers is to see customers often and increase profits.

OEM Dealers are locked into program oils; they must use the oils recommended to them by the manufacturer or lose manufacturers’ bonus money and some are not very ethical in how they go about doing this.

This is a common practice in the automotive and powersports business and is not considered collusion. The owner of the dealership receives a rebate to sell the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)-branded lubricants.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The objective of OEM dealers is to see customers often and increase profits.

OEM Dealers are locked into program oils; they must use the oils recommended to them by the manufacturer or lose manufacturers’ bonus money and some are not very ethical in how they go about doing this.

This is a common practice in the automotive and powersports business and is not considered collusion. The owner of the dealership receives a rebate to sell the original equipment manufacturer (OEM)-branded lubricants.
Yes I'm in the automotive field and I know that end of it. Dealer wants you to come back and buy there. I'm positive that's why our local Honda dealership has started pushing Polaris so drastically. More kickback,more cost of service and more frequent and more sales down the road due to mileage. Maybe I'm partial too:)

N

Null

Jan 18, 2016
Nice try. I ride very technical trails that are not conducive to high miles. We have boulders, mud pits, and some nasty bumpy stuff. To go 1k miles where I ride would demand many parts from wear and tear no matter what your brand. The difference would be in getting to the other side, and back. 20 miles is a good day. Also, My 09 was sold back in 012. I have other toys so my sxs does not get used exclusively every time I can get out. My Argo does not even have a speedo, just an hour meter........thats because they are made for technical travel through mud swamps ponds streams even lakes. Lots of fun that thing is. Judging someone by "miles" for off-road is very misleading. I will give you kudos tho, 3k a year even on nice trails is alot. That said, I know some guys that would trash and break your Honda within an hour so lets keep everything in perspective here.
I ride mine naked most of the time. Does that make me a bad ass?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!