P1000 PITA Air Filter

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok so I went and changed out my air filter tonight and I put in the new rubber gaskets. Yes I took the old ones out before lol. I noticed that the right side of the filter doesn't sit as flush as the old one after being screwed in. There isn't a big gap in space there but will the filter cover push that down when it is tightened? Why wasn't there a better design on this damn thing. :mad:

D

Dasmoeturhead

You beat me to the punch on this POS air box and cover. What a total PITA. I checked my air filter 3 months ago and it was fine. I did have a little trouble with the allen head button bolts. The depth of the allen head is very shallow, and I had a hard time keeping the wrench in the hole and not at an angle. Fast forward to yesterday. I changed engine, trans,sub trans and both filters along with new spark plugs and the air filter.
Now I've been wrenching forever , but I got to say this POS cover is just that. Of course the hardest to reach bolt head got rounded out, and I spent a long time trying to remove it. No way. Can't use an easy out, can't use pliers, can't use anything. In the end I busted of the plastic around the Damm bolt. Only to find out my air filter was almost like new. So I put it all back together, and RTV'ed the crap out of it. I also found,my throttle body clamps loose. What a day. I guess some day ill buy a new air box lid if the sell them separate.
The Japanese are famous for these shallow depth bolt heads. I've had to deal with them on my Suzukis and Kawi's also. The trick is to make sure your allen head wrench is not rounded off at all. I usually dress them up on a grinder wheel, but I didn't do that this time and I played dearly for it. I guess when you service all of your equipment every now and again you mess up
Oh well life goes on, and the pk3 is running good. Here's a picture of what I'm talkin about. Cheers!
0903181524 HDR
0903181525 HDR

0903181524 HDR 0903181525 HDR

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the future, I have been successful using a similar sized Torx bit tapped into the stripped head to get out bad bolts.

Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know the next time I change it Im gonna need new bolts. Will have to order them up now so I have them. Probably $10 a bolt too :mad:. Why not clamps?!? :(

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Did mine over the weekend and had a little trouble with one bolt, but it had a little sand preventing the Allen wrench from seating completely. Blew it out with compressed air and that solved the problem.

Overall, it was pretty clean with no signs of water intrusion or excessive debris in the filter.;)

A7E6F7D6 BB33 43C1 B310 736C18AFD303 5F744D27 1D38 4EF3 8DA0 4C25666F04B3 B724236D 74B4 44F9 8F2E 3A541AC5A0A9 A28F6AE7 6C30 4613 9EE0 24EAE91EFCFC A045907B F23C 44DB 96B0 AEDE7E677677

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had to drill out my top center bolt and extract it. Wasnt a fun job but a hex shank 1/8" drill bit and an extractor got it done. I didnt replace the fasteners yet but if you damage one, you can pull the one out of your old air filter to replace it.

D

Dasmoeturhead

In the future, I have been successful using a similar sized Torx bit tapped into the stripped head to get out bad bolts.

That's a good trick. I've done that many of times. This time no Dice.

Reactions: BWAF
D

Dasmoeturhead

Why not just use flange headed bolts? I am not sure the thread pitch, but the parts fiche says 5x12mm

View attachment 85921

Of course I was thinking the same thing. Not sure the shoulder of that bolt head would not interfere with the (for lack of better terms) protective plastic tabs molded into the air box. The bolt would also have to clear the metal insert in the air box. I think the threaded insert in the lower box is very small.
Bottom line it was 90° in the shop, and I really didn't want to re-engineer the whole GD air box. I just wanted to be done, go for a ride have a cold one, and pat myself on the back saying Damm fine job there Moe, But instead I boogerd it up. I think I lost what I was saving by doing it myself instead of the stealership. To top it off, I didn't even replace the filter due to how clean it was. Hahaha!
Its working just fine, but I (the perfectionist) knows what's under that cover, and I will have to somehow (this Winter) make it right.

Last edited:
Little_g

Little_g

Aug 6, 2015
Parker, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone know if the filter cover would push that right side down the little bit it needs? I don’t want that to let anything get past it if it’s sticking up. Wish it would go in like the old one came out. Seems like I always have an issue with something :rolleyes: lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Does anyone know if the filter cover would push that right side down the little bit it needs? I don’t want that to let anything get past it if it’s sticking up. Wish it would go in like the old one came out. Seems like I always have an issue with something :rolleyes: lol
If you’re concerned put a little grease on the seal and tighten it up but not quite as much as you would normally do then pull it and check.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Yup its a PITA to check the air filter. I use a long allen wrench and make sure it is not rounded off. A quick jerk usually gets them loose. There is no reason to check the air filter until 10,000 miles unless you follow close in the dust. I install a new filter when I have it apart unless its just like new.

T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just changed mine today. Didn’t look bad but I already had the new one. On the top it says not to clean them with compressed air and it made me wander if u could clean them like u would a k&n filter and reuse it?

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I struggled with this POS the first time too... there is a post somewhere in my tinkering thread about it. I know it was hot and I was pissed. Had to take apart half the machine to get to the stupid bolts. Very poor design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Travis85

Aug 15, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I struggled with this POS the first time too... there is a post somewhere in my tinkering thread about it. I know it was hot and I was pissed. Had to take apart half the machine to get to the stupid bolts. Very poor design.

Mine wasn’t bad. Yeah I thought 10 bolts was a little much.I just got the drill and extension with the right size allen and zipped them right out. Then set the torque light and put them back in.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Ahh yes... I actually remember your thread. It was titled "Stupid Air Cleaner!!!" It was a fun to read thread! Boy were you pissed lol!!!

Reactions: BWAF and nbomar

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!