P1000 Please Help, 1000 Dies and won't go into Gear

J

Jason-2119

Jan 6, 2020
Central MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I haven’t had any problems with my P3 yet but it’s nice to see there are smart guys out there willing to help.

Reactions: TripleB
Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well installed new shift motor did not solve my problem. Gonna look at all grounds.

Reactions: Lady01
Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changed Shift motor that did not help. Checked grounds today and readjusted the rear differential.
None of this helped.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
Been away for a ride yesterday. Your mentioning about turning the key on and hearing clicking and and the it shifting down made me assume shift motor problem as this was what mine did. Another guy mentioned mentioned about changing the shift motor and his machine still didn't work properly. His find was that the wires going into the plug on the shift motor were pulled apart or slid out of place inside the plug. I'am not sure if it was due to unplugging the connection at the shift motor and then plugging it back in realeasing one of the pins inside the plug. Also any rubbing through of the wires anywhere or breaks in the wires will cause inssues. Nothing fun about trying to figure out electrical issues.

W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
ok guys, I replace the control motor, Honda ran good for 8 miles, then got stock in 1st gear. after I let it sit and cool off, it runs perfect for about 8 miles then first gear again, any help?

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
ok guys, I replace the control motor, Honda ran good for 8 miles, then got stock in 1st gear. after I let it sit and cool off, it runs perfect for about 8 miles then first gear again, any help?
Not sure what to say. Just throwing this out but when you turn the key on do you hear it shift into N after it cools down. I've read that sometimes the new ( if cheaper quality shift motor ) can be at fault Why don't you try taking and cleaning up the oem one and after you have it cleaned up put it back in and see if it makes any difference. ?? It's worth a try ??

W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
Not sure what to say. Just throwing this out but when you turn the key on do you hear it shift into N after it cools down. I've read that sometimes the new ( if cheaper quality shift motor ) can be at fault Why don't you try taking and cleaning up the oem one and after you have it cleaned up put it back in and see if it makes any difference. ?? It's worth a try ??
I put a OEM from Honda. It runs like normal after cool down

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I put a OEM from Honda. It runs like normal after cool down
when you get if figured out post what the problem was ,this way it will help others sort out there's.

W

wstsidesrf

Jan 4, 2021
torrance
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. 1000-5
anyone have a Idea why after 20-30 min, tranny will down shift then stay in 1 gear? no engine code

advertisement
H

HondaTech

When you check grounds, don't just hand check them.

The one next to the starter motor has known to feel tight with a tug on the wire. But the bolt will be stripped and wont tighten.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In aviation, as well as other industries too, a dielectric grease (Dow DC-4*, silicone grease, or other specialty brands) are used to both waterproof connections and prevent corrosion. Though dielectric grease is an insulator, it doesn't prevent metal to metal contact while it provides a gas tight connection to prevent corrosion and resistance build up.

Anyone using dielectric grease on ground connections etc.?

* Now known as DuPont Molykote 4
MolyKote 4

Or Permatex version for less:
Dielectric grease

Reactions: Jerryg and Lady01
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In aviation, as well as other industries too, a dielectric grease (Dow DC-4*, silicone grease, or other specialty brands) are used to both waterproof connections and prevent corrosion. Though dielectric grease is an insulator, it doesn't prevent metal to metal contact while it provides a gas tight connection to prevent corrosion and resistance build up.

Anyone using dielectric grease on ground connections etc.?

* Now known as DuPont Molykote 4
MolyKote 4

Or Permatex version for less:
Dielectric grease

Yep, on all open to air connections

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New shift motor, battery, plugs, angle sensor at gas pedal.
Still having issues with it not wanting to shift from 2 nd to 3rd properly

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
New shift motor, battery, plugs, angle sensor at gas pedal.
Still having issues with it not wanting to shift from 2 nd to 3rd properly
Are you saying that your problem is that it's not shifting from 2 nd to 3 rd. So if I'am reading this properly your problem is different than what others are having when there [my] machine actually shut down because it wouldn't down shift. Once cooled off it would work for awhile then shut down because it wouldn't shift down when it warmed up. So really your problem isn't the same ???

Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my service manual today its saying code 57 could be the TR sensor. Now what the hell is the TR sensor because i don't see that name listed on the sub transmission parts list

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Got my service manual today its saying code 57 could be the TR sensor. Now what the hell is the TR sensor because i don't see that name listed on the sub transmission parts list
Not often, or even really, but sometimes Google seems like a friend:

"What happens when a transmission range sensor goes bad?
The Transmission Range Sensor tells the PCM the position of the transmission shifter. The PCM uses this information to control which gears of the transmission to enable or disable. When the TR sensor fails it can cause wrong gear starts, no upshifts, or what feels like a falling-out-of-gear condition."

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I remember that in my sub-transmission service breakdown, when I pulled it to replace reverse and low range.

I believe it was one of the electrical plugs I had to pull on the outside of the sub. I'll dig a bit and see if I can help...

Hondaking2016

Hondaking2016

Aug 21, 2021
missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not often, or even really, but sometimes Google seems like a friend:

"What happens when a transmission range sensor goes bad?
The Transmission Range Sensor tells the PCM the position of the transmission shifter. The PCM uses this information to control which gears of the transmission to enable or disable. When the TR sensor fails it can cause wrong gear starts, no upshifts, or what feels like a falling-out-of-gear condition."
Exactly but I cant find the TR sensor anywhere. It's in my service manual which doesn't give part numbers. Dealer couldn't even help me, nothing listed

• Wow
Reactions: Lady01 and Jerryg
advertisement