P1000m5 Polaris guy's first impression

C

CUOFFRD

Mar 13, 2016
NW Arkansas
Little info about my situation. My wife and I have three young daughters; 13, 10, & 8. I ride a Polaris XP1K 2 seater and we have a Polaris 170 for the kids. My wife is left out most of the time so we started looking for a SXS for her. It needed to be at least a three passenger so all of us can go on "real" trails (the 170 is a big go kart). It also needed to fit on my 18' car hauler trailer with my XP. A larger trailer is out of the question due to garage size and POA requirements.

We looked at full size Rangers and found a really nice '15 XP900 for sale locally. We also liked these Pioneers but with tax and options would just be too much. Anyway we found this one slightly used and picked it up. That topic is in the buying section.

So today it was 65 degrees and partly cloudy. We took it out to a local off-road park so we could get use to it. We have a flip out windshield and a hard roof installed.

Initial impression, this thing is loud. The transmission reminds me of the older three speed "granny" transmissions. The motor has noticeable ticking which I hope will be addressed when the valves are adjusted during the first service.

Heat! Wow this thing gets hot. We had the windshield cracked open but it feels like a sauna. 65 degrees outside and my backside was sweating to the point my pants were damp. My wife will love it in winter but not sure how summer will be. The temp gauge never climbed above two blocks. The fan kicked in often.

The transmission is a love/hate affair. The thing shifts quick when you get into the throttle, very sporty. Now, when going slow in low or reverse and have a slight hill, it shutters likey crazy until you "get on it".

I don't get the 4 wheel drive mode. I move it from turf to 2 wheel lock and it does nothing. We start driving and sometimes immediately switches, other times takes 20 feet or so. Same for 4 wheel or 4 wheel lock. It was slick out and we got "stuck" going over a down tree in 2 wheel lock and tried to engaged 4 wheel drive. Nothing.... I had the wife back up a bit and throttle over in 2wd. Then 15 feet later, it kicked into 4wd. Why no shift-on-the-fly, my pickup even does it.

Now to the real reason we bought it, the wife. She jumps over and gets ready to drive. Drops it in low and goes to take off. It jerks back and forth like someone learning to drive stick shift! I look down and she can't put her throttle heel on the floor. The pedal is too short. Now she assured me she could reach the pedals on the unit at the dealership and could even push it all the way in. She practiced some more then we ended up switching to high gear because it wasn't as touchy. So, some fabrication is in order.

Overall my wife likes it. She thinks it's loud and hot but hopes removing the windshield helps.

Me, I'll stick to my RZR. Sorry, I just don't buy the hype. I had high hopes and it falls short. If my RZR's engine and drivetrain were in the Pioneer, it would be awesome.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Imagejpeg 0 2 2 RZR get hot too I think you should keep the RZR parts out of the pioneer.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Little info about my situation. My wife and I have three young daughters; 13, 10, & 8. I ride a Polaris XP1K 2 seater and we have a Polaris 170 for the kids. My wife is left out most of the time so we started looking for a SXS for her. It needed to be at least a three passenger so all of us can go on "real" trails (the 170 is a big go kart). It also needed to fit on my 18' car hauler trailer with my XP. A larger trailer is out of the question due to garage size and POA requirements.

We looked at full size Rangers and found a really nice '15 XP900 for sale locally. We also liked these Pioneers but with tax and options would just be too much. Anyway we found this one slightly used and picked it up. That topic is in the buying section.

So today it was 65 degrees and partly cloudy. We took it out to a local off-road park so we could get use to it. We have a flip out windshield and a hard roof installed.

Initial impression, this thing is loud. The transmission reminds me of the older three speed "granny" transmissions. The motor has noticeable ticking which I hope will be addressed when the valves are adjusted during the first service.

Heat! Wow this thing gets hot. We had the windshield cracked open but it feels like a sauna. 65 degrees outside and my backside was sweating to the point my pants were damp. My wife will love it in winter but not sure how summer will be. The temp gauge never climbed above two blocks. The fan kicked in often.

The transmission is a love/hate affair. The thing shifts quick when you get into the throttle, very sporty. Now, when going slow in low or reverse and have a slight hill, it shutters likey crazy until you "get on it".

I don't get the 4 wheel drive mode. I move it from turf to 2 wheel lock and it does nothing. We start driving and sometimes immediately switches, other times takes 20 feet or so. Same for 4 wheel or 4 wheel lock. It was slick out and we got "stuck" going over a down tree in 2 wheel lock and tried to engaged 4 wheel drive. Nothing.... I had the wife back up a bit and throttle over in 2wd. Then 15 feet later, it kicked into 4wd. Why no shift-on-the-fly, my pickup even does it.

Now to the real reason we bought it, the wife. She jumps over and gets ready to drive. Drops it in low and goes to take off. It jerks back and forth like someone learning to drive stick shift! I look down and she can't put her throttle heel on the floor. The pedal is too short. Now she assured me she could reach the pedals on the unit at the dealership and could even push it all the way in. She practiced some more then we ended up switching to high gear because it wasn't as touchy. So, some fabrication is in order.

Overall my wife likes it. She thinks it's loud and hot but hopes removing the windshield helps.

Me, I'll stick to my RZR. Sorry, I just don't buy the hype. I had high hopes and it falls short. If my RZR's engine and drivetrain were in the Pioneer, it would be awesome.

For summer riding, remove the windshield and roof and it will be much quieter. That would also help with the heat.

Another note for the heat, to keep such a short wheelbase which was desired by you, the motor is under the front bench seat. Some have used Dynomat and other materials to reduce heat and noise.

As for the shuttering, that is a transmission problem. You should take it to a dealer for repair. Watch my video of my P1000 on a 15° hill and holding it with throttle and then taking off. It doesn't shutter.

Maybe you found out why someone was
selling it?

As for the touchy throttle, I can see that be a problem. When you're not used to the positive engagement of gears, it can take some getting used to.

Try to meet up with another member of the the forum and ride one that doesn't have any issues and see what you think.

Joe

HotRodLincoln

HotRodLincoln

Apr 5, 2016
n.h.
thanks for the honest feedback. Before I bought my maverick I read about how hot the cabin can get but it never bothered me. Worst case can some insulation be put in between the engine and seat area? Many video I have seen have loud an annoying whining coming from the drive system. I'm very concerned about this this.

J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
I am really surprised some of you think the P1K is loud. I haven't owned a RXR but I have rode in them and they are much louder than a Pioneer. A teryx is even louder. If you are just talking about the gears changing and the differential whining, the only reason your even hearing that is because the engine is so quiet.
My wife tried to drive ours with sandals on the other day and she couldn't reach the pedal fully either. Luckily with normal shoes she is ok. Hope your able to find a solution, she almost gave me whiplash by not being able to gas it smoothly lol.

C

CUOFFRD

Mar 13, 2016
NW Arkansas
We spent Mother's Day out riding. My wife, and daughter, use a pillow behind them to allow them to reach the pedals.

My wife is having mixed reviews. The Pioneer feels very top heavy and she gets scared often in it. So much that she asks to drive my RZR trough the rough and off angled bits.

She also prefers the engagement of the driveline in the Polaris over the Honda.

We're now on the fence on keeping it or trading for another centrifugal driven machine.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am really surprised some of you think the P1K is loud. I haven't owned a RXR but I have rode in them and they are much louder than a Pioneer. A teryx is even louder. If you are just talking about the gears changing and the differential whining, the only reason your even hearing that is because the engine is so quiet.
My wife tried to drive ours with sandals on the other day and she couldn't reach the pedal fully either. Luckily with normal shoes she is ok. Hope your able to find a solution, she almost gave me whiplash by not being able to gas it smoothly lol.
My 10 yo daughter drives ours all the time with not too much problem. It's hard to get her off of it. At first really jumpy but more time has helped. Unconventional I know but now we just place a half rack strapped with motorcycle strap and a pillow on anything but just dirt roads. She gets around very well like that already starting to tackle the good stuff a bit

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
cuoffrd The RZR 1000 is a sport model and way different then the Honda. If you inch along the Honda will shudder but driving at 3 mph or above its great. Be sure to get all the RZR recalls done, probably 4 and carry a fire extinguisher. Honda may announce 2 sport models in July. The smaller single cylinder may be a great choice for your wife. I had a RZR 570, RZR 900, and Ranger 900. They all worked great but had so many problems I sold them. I put on over 20,000 miles total and my RZR 900 had just over 11,000 miles when I sold it. It cost a lot to keep the Polaris models running and I needed at least two so I had something to ride while the other was in the shop getting fixed. The RZR fun factor is great but I'm too old to wait so I put up with all the design issues and poor quality parts. I now have a Yamaha YXZ for my fast rides and drive my Honda for the low speed rides. If your stuck on Polaris the new General fix a lot of the design problems and have the air intakes up under the hood.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The general is junk. I played with one. Very very nice when you walk up on it interior is super cozy but even with the car door handle on the outside you have to really really pull it and the door flies at you. I had to basically slam it and the two piece door split open. "It happens just snap back together " said the owner. He had it in and adjusted but apparently it was adjusted to his liking. Controls are set good but that adjustable seat flexes all over the place. I wanted adjustable seat but not if its like this it was nuts. Brakes steering power honestly good. But that sloppy ass belt!!! I can't not have actual gears. Snowmobile transmissions are so old technology! What the hell is it doing in a 15-25k vehicle. I wouldn't want a rubber band driving my car or truck. Bed didn't tilt up as well the single handle is nice but is way more likely to fail. Only half the bed capacity and room though. Can't carry over one passenger (but it's a little bit cooler that way )so the family rig becomes not again. Lots of storage was very nice I will admit. A couple built in areas for switches was nice. Suspension is better but it should be in a vehicle with this little carting capacity. Electronic 4x4 only engages when tires have already stated to slip so it's not direct. Way louder. Loved the looks of it but basically it's a less capable vehicle then rzr with a little more bed room. Just feels cheap! Amazing to me this is acceptable. Honda at least has good adjustments for its rattles. Things we sometimes complain about with Honda are in place with this vehicle except not fixable and followed by multiple others that are accepted because of smoother suspension. I wanted to like it I really did I was actually hoping Polaris had pulled its head out of its ass but it's the same cheap undependable vehicle they have been building for years with a few great ideas very poorly executed to look good to untrained eyes for someone who put 500 miles a year and doesn't mind limitless recalls,maintenance,spare parts and poor resale at higher mileage. My opinion but I guess I ask more of an 18k rig

Last edited:
Reactions: joeymt33
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
for the sport version buy the Yamaha or wait for the Honda. Yamaha moved way up something tells me the Honda will do the same. They'll get it right. It'll be better then Yamaha hopefully with that electronic braking that @Hondasxs showed and @JACKAL explained more hp with paddles!

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
cuoffrd The RZR 1000 is a sport model and way different then the Honda. If you inch along the Honda will shudder but driving at 3 mph or above its great. Be sure to get all the RZR recalls done, probably 4 and carry a fire extinguisher. Honda may announce 2 sport models in July. The smaller single cylinder may be a great choice for your wife. I had a RZR 570, RZR 900, and Ranger 900. They all worked great but had so many problems I sold them. I put on over 20,000 miles total and my RZR 900 had just over 11,000 miles when I sold it. It cost a lot to keep the Polaris models running and I needed at least two so I had something to ride while the other was in the shop getting fixed. The RZR fun factor is great but I'm too old to wait so I put up with all the design issues and poor quality parts. I now have a Yamaha YXZ for my fast rides and drive my Honda for the low speed rides. If your stuck on Polaris the new General fix a lot of the design problems and have the air intakes up under the hood.
Hey @hondabob how do you like that Yamaha 1000? Great reviews looks great. Met a guy this last weekend with one camping might swap rigs the following weekend to test. It was fast sure handled well! Sounds awesome going through the gears like the Honda exhaust sure sounds like nothing I've ever heard. Seems to me to be a great combo

C

CUOFFRD

Mar 13, 2016
NW Arkansas

I've owned my XP1K since they came out in 2014, I've had zero issues with it. It does great when rock crawling, under 3 mph, or running 85 mph down the long straights.

Recalls....all brands have recalls. When you're the market leader everyone makes a big deal out of nothing. I'm sure you've seen what people put these machines through. The percentage of impacted machines is low when you look at the overall numbers.

I understand this is a Honda site and will have diehard fanboys. I know the difference between a sport and utility side by side. We bought the P1000-5 because of its seating capacity and length, that's it. We are limited by trailer size because it must fit in our garage, POA rules. Sure, the DCT transmission sounded cool but in reality, it's not. Oh it does great cruzing the dirt roads or hauling hay to the cows but take it down ORV trails and you quickly realize the limits and flaws.

We bought this because it appeared to be an easy to drive, people mover with that "great Honda reliability". Well, momma doesn't think it's easy to drive and you know how it goes when "momma's not happy....."

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We spent Mother's Day out riding. My wife, and daughter, use a pillow behind them to allow them to reach the pedals.

My wife is having mixed reviews. The Pioneer feels very top heavy and she gets scared often in it. So much that she asks to drive my RZR trough the rough and off angled bits.

She also prefers the engagement of the driveline in the Polaris over the Honda.

We're now on the fence on keeping it or trading for another centrifugal driven machine.
I traded my 900xp for the p1000-3 because the quality is so much better. You can just tell it when you sit in it. Plus the polaris thing is kinda played out. But at the end of the day it's about getting out there and riding and having fun! Best of luck to you.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Some people will pull their wife from a Camry and put her in her in a Cavalier. To each his own but you just can't teach intelligence.

J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
I've owned my XP1K since they came out in 2014, I've had zero issues with it. It does great when rock crawling, under 3 mph, or running 85 mph down the long straights.

Recalls....all brands have recalls. When you're the market leader everyone makes a big deal out of nothing. I'm sure you've seen what people put these machines through. The percentage of impacted machines is low when you look at the overall numbers.

I understand this is a Honda site and will have diehard fanboys. I know the difference between a sport and utility side by side. We bought the P1000-5 because of its seating capacity and length, that's it. We are limited by trailer size because it must fit in our garage, POA rules. Sure, the DCT transmission sounded cool but in reality, it's not. Oh it does great cruzing the dirt roads or hauling hay to the cows but take it down ORV trails and you quickly realize the limits and flaws.

We bought this because it appeared to be an easy to drive, people mover with that "great Honda reliability". Well, momma doesn't think it's easy to drive and you know how it goes when "momma's not happy....."

I agree the Pioneer is not as capable as the RZR on the trails, but as you said you bought it as a vehicle that you could take your family in. I am not 100% happy with the transmission, but I would rather deal with the transmission and ride mine than have a RZR sit in the shop and not ride at all. I am not trying to be a smart a** but it is a fact that the Polaris products have far more problems than any other brand not just Honda. One of my best friends has had 3 RZR's, all different models. He won't trailer to the trails with me because he breaks down so much he says he doesn't want me to have to come home early if he breaks down. It happens that often! Everyone has different experiences and some don't mind working on their machine, I am lazy and all I want to do is get in and go. Comparing the Pioneer to the RZR is apples and oranges.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Honestly @JMRubicon unless it's the little 570 that beats its belly on everything I have yet to see a rzr be able to follow me in the woods! Every machine out there can go down a dirt road just fine but when you get into the tight stuff I walk away from the huge armed rzr's. And if you get into "family " vehicles GOOD LUCK!!! They are a joke where I ride. Might as well buy a four door jeep. They will be parking lot racers trying to ride wheelies on both sides of the trail I just took 4 passengers and a trailer full of wood through. I've had everything except Kawasaki and Arctic Cat and this Pioneer is so versatile it's not funny. I grew my kids up right they learned on a dirtbike not a Polaris go cart we can and do ride hard not just occasionally spin our tires in public looking cool. My wife on the Honda can out ride most Polaris and Can Am's on the Honda from all I've seen. She doesn't b**** about the transmission she absolutely prefers the ability to hold a gear up/down any given hill it's without a doubt more controlled. But then again she hates snowmobiles so why would she like Polaris. But that's just me and our families opinion. We ride every weekend all summer long camping for 20-30 weekends. I'd have to own three rzr's to stay up to that schedule. Most important to us bring us home. If I rode a Polaris I'd be damn sure my wife was on o Honda with a very good tow strap and yes I was and yes I did. But that's over now I grew up!

Last edited:
J

JMRubicon

May 3, 2016
Harrodsburg Ky
This is my first sxs, I have held out on moving to one as long as I could. I have been riding utility atv for the last 25yrs and still have one. After one ride I have to say I still prefer the ATV by a long shot. I know I can't even come close to keeping up with the speed I normally ride on my Rincon in the Pioneer. But there aren't any RXR's that can keep up with us on the tight wooded trails either. But the RZR just feels lower and I am sure is a lot more sporty feeling. I bought a sxs because I have a 3 yr old and I wanted to take him and my wife riding comfortably. The Pioneer is perfect for that. It allows all of us to sit up front and its still small enough to fit in my toy hauler. There isn't another machine out there that meets all those things. I don't even really want fly around in this thing. I kept my Rincon for that.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Rincon is awesome!!! Very good rig!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!