P1000m3 Popping sound while in 4 wheel drive

JimH1

JimH1

Sep 27, 2016
Duluth MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was out hunting this week and while going up a steep hill I lost traction while in turf mode so I stopped an shifted the rig into 4wheel drive ,I was already in low range . As I started back up the hill I was hearing a popping sound coming from the front of the rig. I wasn't turning so I don't think it is CV related could this be a cable adjustment issue? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Isaiah and sharp
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
The front limited slip diff can make some noise if the tires are not turning the same speed.
Jack the front up and hold one side, turn the other.
Most describe it as a clicking.
Could that be your noise?

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Mine makes the exact same sound @JimH1 @lee @GlockMeister

Notice when I activate 4wd which is on rare occasion I have a intermittent pop coming from the front end. Sounds like it's coming from the under the floorboards and is not necessarily the front diff. Almost like it's trying to engage/ disengage front lock under load. Now my rear differential is doing it. Acting as if turf and lock are engaging and disengaging by themselves under load. Sounds horrible! Like fingernails on a chalk board. Makes me bring my shoulders up around my ears every time it happens.

I have adjusted all the cables within spec in the box and behind dash, also then out of spec both ways to be sure I wasn't missing anything or that they hadn't stretched or possibly shrank.

I am at my wits end. I have ordered two new rear axles just in case and will be carrying it to my local dealer for them to rip me off. I was hoping to get some answers through here. Pop is my keyword to search and keep an eye out for. I have asked several times on the front end, and now that the rear is doing it I have to get it fixed.

Please if anyone has any insight into this... @JACKAL @CumminsPusher @Neohio @Delton
Calling on all my pioneer guru's!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mine makes the exact same sound @JimH1 @lee @GlockMeister

Notice when I activate 4wd which is on rare occasion I have a intermittent pop coming from the front end. Sounds like it's coming from the under the floorboards and is not necessarily the front diff. Almost like it's trying to engage/ disengage front lock under load. Now my rear differential is doing it. Acting as if turf and lock are engaging and disengaging by themselves under load. Sounds horrible! Like fingernails on a chalk board. Makes me bring my shoulders up around my ears every time it happens.

I have adjusted all the cables within spec in the box and behind dash, also then out of spec both ways to be sure I wasn't missing anything or that they hadn't stretched or possibly shrank.

I am at my wits end. I have ordered two new rear axles just in case and will be carrying it to my local dealer for them to rip me off. I was hoping to get some answers through here. Pop is my keyword to search and keep an eye out for. I have asked several times on the front end, and now that the rear is doing it I have to get it fixed.

Please if anyone has any insight into this... @JACKAL @CumminsPusher @Neohio @Delton
Calling on all my pioneer guru's!
I know it’s been said but it sounds like cable adjust.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think it was the differential trying to engage making the noise as you were already in a bind.

Does your machine still make the noise while on level terrain in and out of 4WD?

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
I think it was the differential trying to engage making the noise as you were already in a bind.

Does your machine still make the noise while on level terrain in and out of 4WD?

@JACKAL Yeah bud it does... If I'm going in a straight line it will make a loud pop here and there. I can't time it. It can be described as the sound it makes when wanting to go to turf to 2wd or 2wd to turf or locking into 4wd but its under strain so the noise is way mo louder. (Seems as it gets worse as the machine gets warm... The longer I ride, the worse it gets.) After a bit of riding if I go in anything other than a straight line... Its pop, pop, pop, pop, and it's not like axle click it's like feel it in your butt kind of pop. So to clarify you get a pop every once in a while going straight, then if you turn ever so slightly pop, pop, pop.

Same thing with 4wd. I like to haul mine in 4wd lock. Seen that mentioned somewhere once. Seems like if it gets in any sort of bind it makes a loud pop from front diff area. Sound just like a log hitting the center of the floor board. Horrific sound.

I've tried adjusting the cables to spec and in both directions out trying to achieve desired result. The cables aren't a contributing factor to the pop... It's still there. The good news is my display reads correctly for all modes and there isn't any slop in my levers now.

My pioneer is currently getting detailed... Getting the ol' gal ready for the stealership. Man I hate going to them. I feel like they have no clue. Really wish this one could be figured out on my own. Let me know what ya'll think. I'm all ears and really appreciate all the help.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL Yeah bud it does... If I'm going in a straight line it will make a loud pop here and there. I can't time it. It can be described as the sound it makes when wanting to go to turf to 2wd or 2wd to turf or locking into 4wd but its under strain so the noise is way mo louder. (Seems as it gets worse as the machine gets warm... The longer I ride, the worse it gets.) After a bit of riding if I go in anything other than a straight line... Its pop, pop, pop, pop, and it's not like axle click it's like feel it in your butt kind of pop. So to clarify you get a pop every once in a while going straight, then if you turn ever so slightly pop, pop, pop.

Same thing with 4wd. I like to haul mine in 4wd lock. Seen that mentioned somewhere once. Seems like if it gets in any sort of bind it makes a loud pop from front diff area. Sound just like a log hitting the center of the floor board. Horrific sound.

I've tried adjusting the cables to spec and in both directions out trying to achieve desired result. The cables aren't a contributing factor to the pop... It's still there. The good news is my display reads correctly for all modes and there isn't any slop in my levers now.

My pioneer is currently getting detailed... Getting the ol' gal ready for the stealership. Man I hate going to them. I feel like they have no clue. Really wish this one could be figured out on my own. Let me know what ya'll think. I'm all ears and really appreciate all the help.

I don't have any any answers for you, definitely sounds like issues with differential or bearings. Have you replaced your differential fluid? Any signs of water contamination? A bearing could make that noise but usually is a steady grinding noise.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Most dealers have way less knowledge then this group. I swear some probably google things and pop up on this site.

@CumminsPusher That's so true!!!

This is to all the stealerships who will be reading this in the future when googling pioneer 1000 pop.

Dear stealerships,

Please become more knowledgeable on the machines you all sell. You shouldn't have to come here "X" to find out why a machine is making a noise. Please quit ripping me off. I can get the same thing on amazon for cheaper. Thanks for being open when I call but please can I talk to someone with an actual personality. I've had more intellectual conversations with Aleem from dish network.

Thanks,
Brett

P.s. Can I possibly demo a talon for a yr. or two?... If not, could I possibly get a really good price on one for all my troubles?

lmao!!!

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
@JACKAL That's why she is going in to the stealership. The front pinion seal is leaking again. I have kept it out of any and all water/ mud for that very reason. (It's Florida and extremely hard to do that btw.) Don't think it has became contaminated and I have kept an eye on the fluid level. I was thinking that same bearing issue being it was still doing it while in turf unlocked and was making the pop, pop, pop, while turning. Have them two new axles just in case it's just a axle cage or something. Fingers crossed they don't have to rebuild rear diff. Good thing I put the Kawasaki extended warranty on this Honda after the experience I had with them on my 500 with warranty. Hopefully Kawasaki will rebuild a Honda diff under warranty if a bearing is the cause.

I have 13,5xx miles on the ol' gal and she has been extremely good to me. Most of those miles are with 30's. Ya know how things go... Especially with those kind of miles... When it rains, it pours.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@JACKAL That's why she is going in to the stealership. The front pinion seal is leaking again. I have kept it out of any and all water/ mud for that very reason. (It's Florida and extremely hard to do that btw.) Don't think it has became contaminated and I have kept an eye on the fluid level. I was thinking that same bearing issue being it was still doing it while in turf unlocked and was making the pop, pop, pop, while turning. Have them two new axles just in case it's just a axle cage or something. Fingers crossed they don't have to rebuild rear diff. Good thing I put the Kawasaki extended warranty on this Honda after the experience I had with them on my 500 with warranty. Hopefully Kawasaki will rebuild a Honda diff under warranty if a bearing is the cause.

I have 13,5xx miles on the ol' gal and she has been extremely good to me. Most of those miles are with 30's. Ya know how things go... Especially with those kind of miles... When it rains, it pours.

Still don't answer my question about changing out fluids and if any contamination was detected. Sometimes things you did 1000 miles ago could be contributing to issues today.

JimH1

JimH1

Sep 27, 2016
Duluth MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3

In my case it will do it on level ground while under load.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I was out hunting this week and while going up a steep hill I lost traction while in turf mode so I stopped an shifted the rig into 4wheel drive ,I was already in low range . As I started back up the hill I was hearing a popping sound coming from the front of the rig. I wasn't turning so I don't think it is CV related could this be a cable adjustment issue? Thanks in advance.
There are adjustments at both cable connections on the front diff. You can also manually push the levers after you have it in 4 Lock and see if it continues to move. The 4wd is on the passenger side, rear of the diff. Diff lock is on the passenger side, front and has a plastic cover that you need to take off. If an axle cage is busted, you should be able to move the shaft around to tell. Be sure to be on flat ground-no bind, turf and neutral to test. I'll look for it in the manual and post it.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Diff

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I double nutted mine at the front diff and the cable adjuster box just to make sure they don't back off. You want to set the cable adjuster box to oem specs and might have to tweak it just a little to make sure the dash lights, 4wd, 4 lock come on quickly and if it's still popping or sounds like axle splines grinding in the front, tighten the front diff adjustments. The cables do stretch from use.

Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
That's exactly why I spoke up when I usually wouldn't. Thanks @snuffnwhisky & @JACKAL Feels like I have been tinkering with it a lot here lately. I didn't really mess with the adjustments on the front diff but I have on the rear. I will sneak out here at work while it's on the trailer and go mess with it again. Could I possibly just place it in 2wd lock and zip tie cable/ armature in place to where turf would be deleted?

Have been contemplating this as I never really used turf until this issue arose.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That's exactly why I spoke up when I usually wouldn't. Thanks @snuffnwhisky & @JACKAL Feels like I have been tinkering with it a lot here lately. I didn't really mess with the adjustments on the front diff but I have on the rear. I will sneak out here at work while it's on the trailer and go mess with it again. Could I possibly just place it in 2wd lock and zip tie cable/ armature in place to where turf would be deleted?

Have been contemplating this as I never really used turf until this issue arose.
You probably could but there is a pretty heavy spring pushing against it. Would need a strong tie. The adjuster in the box might loosen up so you might want to double nut it if you leave it zip tied. Turf mode is nice though for turning radius and tire wear on the road.

Reactions: sharp
JimH1

JimH1

Sep 27, 2016
Duluth MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
There are adjustments at both cable connections on the front diff. You can also manually push the levers after you have it in 4 Lock and see if it continues to move. The 4wd is on the passenger side, rear of the diff. Diff lock is on the passenger side, front and has a plastic cover that you need to take off. If an axle cage is busted, you should be able to move the shaft around to tell. Be sure to be on flat ground-no bind, turf and neutral to test. I'll look for it in the manual and post it.
Thanks

W

Wes7984

Apr 19, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I double nutted mine at the front diff and the cable adjuster box just to make sure they don't back off. You want to set the cable adjuster box to oem specs and might have to tweak it just a little to make sure the dash lights, 4wd, 4 lock come on quickly and if it's still popping or sounds like axle splines grinding in the front, tighten the front diff adjustments. The cables do stretch from use.

W

Wes7984

Apr 19, 2020
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How can I find the OEM specs for the front diff cables. At a quick glance under mine the nut isn't far from bottom of bolt. I'm having the same noise as above under load in four wheel drive. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!