P1000 POSSIBLE CLUTCH RECALL - IMPROVED CLUTCH REPLACEMENT MAY BE ON THE HORIZON

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Here's the ratios:

4aef111f7d510081a2c4fdc5c4f2638d

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Notice that "high range" isn't 1:1. Strange?

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Also, looks like 1st and reverse are the same gear?

But reverse has a 2.222:1 reduction so it's final ratio is in between 1st and 1st-low

Signature:

QUOTE by Eltobgi, Honda...Strong enough for the Farm!...Dependable enough for everything else!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also, looks like 1st and reverse are the same gear?

But reverse has a 2.222:1 reduction so it's final ratio is in between 1st and 1st-low

Signature:

Awesome find joey thanks for finding that! That's about what I had assumed on reverse judging by the pull and rpms but no 1.1 surprises me a little. No matter what you're under ratio

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have received some great news from my local dealer here in Maine. After half-burning my R,1,3,5 clutch and experiencing high revs while slowly crawling through rough terrain in a tight woods trail on Thursday night, I spoke to Honda on Friday about getting my 1000-3 fixed. They initially told me they had one other customer that had the same problem, and told me not to worry, they would order the part (the clutch pack) and call me when it is in, and instructed me to drive it like I normally would in the meantime. The weekend has passed, which halfway through a 60 mile ride on Saturday, the transmission seemed to adjust itself and it stopped revving and hesitating between shifts and takeoff. However, when coming to a stop, I was now unable to shift back to Park without first turning the machine off. It is quite difficult to shift between modes at a stop at this point, which seems to be a side-effect of the transmission self-adjusting the clutch engagement. Pretty strange to be out riding and it seems to just auto-fix itself, lol.

Anyway, I just spoke to the dealership again this morning, to find out the parts ETA, and to explain my new transmission issue. They now have new information about a recall coming out which addresses this whole issue. I was told that the parts may not be available for 3 or 4 weeks at this point, but it affects all these transmissions, whether you've had a clutch issue or not. He explained that Honda has been quite aware of the issue, and has developed updated clutch packs that have not failed after extensive testing. I have no reason to believe this service writer is just blowing smoke up my ass, but at first it did seem too good to be true. Apparently this new recall clutch is much stronger and is 'the fix' to all our existing clutch problems.

I'm only repeating exactly what my Honda dealer told me, and I'm hoping this is 100% accurate. Some of you may want to contact your local dealer to confirm what I've been told. If this is fact, then this could put many of our minds at ease, as it did mine this morning. God I love being the bearer of great news! I'll update this thread as I find more information. I'm currently waiting to schedule my machine for repair once the new parts are available. Happy trails everyone!

I think whoever provided you with the information you stated above may be (or definitely has) embellished what ever information they were given. Not trying to call anyone out but don't want dozens of people to be mislead by hope and change that will not come.

The overall percentage of units with issues has been small and many of the units (including mine) since clutch packs being replaced have been rock solid. Sure there have been a few units with repeated issues but that is likely due to how it is being used. You always hear about the problems, but not the thousands upon thousands that have not had any problems with clutches at all.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Front and rear diff have different ratios??

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Would that be because of the OEM size difference in front and rear tires?

I highly doubt it. There would be no point in trying to make it perfect because air pressure alone can change tire height by a couple inches. Why would Honda spend the resources to make it perfect and then air pressure screw it up? It's only a 1% difference.

When there is a large difference in tire size like tractors, yes they are geared to match those tires.

Reactions: MAINEYAK and sharp
LaVell

LaVell

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Opp, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I highly doubt it. There would be no point in trying to make it perfect because air pressure alone can change tire height by a couple inches. Why would Honda spend the resources to make it perfect and then air pressure screw it up? It's only a 1% difference.

When there is a large difference in tire size like tractors, yes they are geared to match those tires.
Ok then thanks for the clarification.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok then thanks for the clarification.

Here's my disclaimer:

That above statement is just my opinion. I could be way off. I just gave my view on it. Too bad we don't have a insider to give us all the answers. That would be sweet! Until then, a lot of it is speculation.

Last edited:
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My experience is that Honda comes through if there is a significant mechanical problem. But, I always hate for the dealers to be wrenching on my machine, don't really have a good one close by me that I trust. Rumors are just that, until people start getting notifications or it is officially posted on Honda's site it's still just a rumor to me.

H

HondaTech

Not to get off topic, but our Kawasaki shop had a 4010 Mule that kept popping out of the rear locker. We tried everything possible until we finally called Kawasaki tech. They advised the tire pressures were very critical in this situation, that the locker was built to slip and jump out under very heavy load so as not to damage anything. We adjusted tire pressures to correct specs and it never jumped out again.

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
An update: I've started having doubts since my original call to the dealer, and decided to go straight to Honda. I started a case with Honda Consumer affairs, and explained my whole situation, and what the dealer gave me for information. The woman I talked to was very nice and we had a good discussion explaining all my concerns, as well as my concern for the dealership giving misleading information. I basically told her, if there is indeed a fix, I'd like to have the TSB number, or campaign number, some sort of hard proof. Otherwise I'm wasting my time waiting, and misleading hundreds of other Pioneer owners, which that alone pisses me off. The only thing she could tell me at this point in time, is that Honda is aware of the clutch issues, and that she would look into it and try to get me answers as soon as possible. This morning at 8:00am, the dealership service writer called me to tell me that Honda called him yesterday to talk about my situation. He wanted to reassure me that Honda does have a new design in the works that is still undergoing testing, and he has a source in California that he deals with through some sort of Honda Tech-Line, similar to the tech-line our mechanics use at the car dealership I work at. I very politely told him, at this point, I just want either an ETA, campaign #, recall #, some sort of proof that this is true, or I want my new machine fixed rather than waiting, if in fact this is just smoke and mirrors. I told him I'm not trying to just call BS and discredit him, but I just dropped a lot of money on a new machine, and the last thing I need is to be dicked around with. He stated he was going to talk to his regional manager, then call me back, and added he would be glad to bring it right in tomorrow and replace it with the same clutch, then replace it again once the new part is available if that's what I want to to. At this point, it sounds as though that may be the answer, if he can't somehow come up with some documentation or proof to go by.

The only good thing for me, in the meantime, my machine is still driving ok enough to still use as much as I need. I will continue to keep this thread updated as I find out more. I'm awaiting a call back from both Honda, and the local dealership as well.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
An update: I've started having doubts since my original call to the dealer, and decided to go straight to Honda. I started a case with Honda Consumer affairs, and explained my whole situation, and what the dealer gave me for information. The woman I talked to was very nice and we had a good discussion explaining all my concerns, as well as my concern for the dealership giving misleading information. I basically told her, if there is indeed a fix, I'd like to have the TSB number, or campaign number, some sort of hard proof. Otherwise I'm wasting my time waiting, and misleading hundreds of other Pioneer owners, which that alone pisses me off. The only thing she could tell me at this point in time, is that Honda is aware of the clutch issues, and that she would look into it and try to get me answers as soon as possible. This morning at 8:00am, the dealership service writer called me to tell me that Honda called him yesterday to talk about my situation. He wanted to reassure me that Honda does have a new design in the works that is still undergoing testing, and he has a source in California that he deals with through some sort of Honda Tech-Line, similar to the tech-line our mechanics use at the car dealership I work at. I very politely told him, at this point, I just want either an ETA, campaign #, recall #, some sort of proof that this is true, or I want my new machine fixed rather than waiting, if in fact this is just smoke and mirrors. I told him I'm not trying to just call BS and discredit him, but I just dropped a lot of money on a new machine, and the last thing I need is to be dicked around with. He stated he was going to talk to his regional manager, then call me back, and added he would be glad to bring it right in tomorrow and replace it with the same clutch, then replace it again once the new part is available if that's what I want to to. At this point, it sounds as though that may be the answer, if he can't somehow come up with some documentation or proof to go by.

The only good thing for me, in the meantime, my machine is still driving ok enough to still use as much as I need. I will continue to keep this thread updated as I find out more. I'm awaiting a call back from both Honda, and the local dealership as well.

@MAINEYAK thanks for the update I think we are all appreciative of your efforts and I don't want you thinking differently. Definitely skeptical of a fix but it is Honda so I'm still trying to be hopeful. Again thanks and keep this updated if you would.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

As soon as I hear anything pertaining to a new clutch, or PUD I'll drop a line here and let you guys know everyhting. I haven't talked to anyone at techline since the problem I had with the last 2 I put clutches in.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Excellent work @MAINEYAK,
I would think if there was any type of recall or update package coming out they would do a good job keeping it in the DL until ready. Unlike other brands. Honda seems to have the "laying low" program tight, especially when it comes to new products.
I too hope for a update to eliminate the chatter I have experience when at low speed.
Fingers crossed!

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As soon as I hear anything pertaining to a new clutch, or PUD I'll drop a line here and let you guys know everyhting. I haven't talked to anyone at techline since the problem I had with the last 2 I put clutches in.
Hey HondaTech. Just curious on how long it takes you to replace the clutches compared to time your labor guide gives you.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Another Update:

So I just received a follow-up call from a Honda Rep. All she is able to tell me at this point is that an updated clutch part is likely, but she can't tell me 100%. I went around and around with her to get more information, but to no avail. She again said that they are aware of the problem and are currently reviewing it, and that's all she could tell me. There was a discussion between the dealer, the regional service manager, and Honda customer service before they could call me back. It seems to me that it still could be a likely recall, but like a few of you have said, Honda isn't releasing any information until it happens.....if it happens. Form your own opinions I guess, and sorry to get people's hopes up, as I did myself after my first conversation with the dealership. I will continue to keep you updated if more info pops up, thanks guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!