P1000 POSSIBLE CLUTCH RECALL - IMPROVED CLUTCH REPLACEMENT MAY BE ON THE HORIZON

M

Millerhunts

Mar 1, 2016
Baton Rouge
I hope they do something. I was riding this weekend and i was winching up a sand hill. A few times it would not go into first gear. I guess clutches got hot. Once it did go into gear I didn't let off until i was unstuck. It did fine after that but never was in a bind again. About six months ago I also had problems with it going into 1st, 2nd and 3rd. It quit that but now this.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you get low on power it'll act like that too so there maybe a possibility the winch sucked your battery down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B

BrianAbbott

Jan 21, 2016
chattanooga tn
Here's my disclaimer:

That above statement is just my opinion. I could be way off. I just gave my view on it. Too bad we don't have a insider to give us all the answers. That would be sweet! Until then, a lot of it is speculation.

Im a sales rep for Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga and I can tell you there is no talk what so ever on any recalls for the P-1000. Like another member said earler in the post. Select few have clutch problems. We average about 30 P1000s out the door every month since they arrived. We have had 4 come back with clutch issues. I was told there was a select vin range of bad clutches and it averages about 1% of failures. (that percentage might be a little off) but with margins that small Honda wont set a recall. If I get any info I will post it as soon as i get it.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Im a sales rep for Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga and I can tell you there is no talk what so ever on any recalls for the P-1000. Like another member said earler in the post. Select few have clutch problems. We average about 30 P1000s out the door every month since they arrived. We have had 4 come back with clutch issues. I was told there was a select vin range of bad clutches and it averages about 1% of failures. (that percentage might be a little off) but with margins that small Honda wont set a recall. If I get any info I will post it as soon as i get it.

Do you know the VIN range? I'm considering a 1000 3 seater. The country here in W.KY goes from flat to steep hills and if I'm going to burn up the clutch backing up a steep bank or with a load on a trailer I need to look at something else.

I'm new to the forum but have been doing research for a month or so. I've always had good luck from Honda in the past but want to buy the best machine for my use and money.

Justin

Reactions: Trim450
T

Trim450

Oct 14, 2016
Wv
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Very well said Justin, they should get this problem taking care of , especially for the money these things cost.
Like i said before, mine acted funny around 50 miles up to 80 miles then it started smoothing itself out and seems ok but it's definitely different shifting from what it was from new . So it's always in my mind that something isn't right or weak , I haven't hauled or towed anything with it yet just easy trail and old open road riding . Has 120 miles now and ready for the first oil change . Just wish it was consistent like the rubicons I've had in the past . Never let me down and always shifted the same .

Is the clutch covered under the factory or the extended warranty ?

B

BrianAbbott

Jan 21, 2016
chattanooga tn
Very well said Justin, they should get this problem taking care of , especially for the money these things cost.
Like i said before, mine acted funny around 50 miles up to 80 miles then it started smoothing itself out and seems ok but it's definitely different shifting from what it was from new . So it's always in my mind that something isn't right or weak , I haven't hauled or towed anything with it yet just easy trail and old open road riding . Has 120 miles now and ready for the first oil change . Just wish it was consistent like the rubicons I've had in the past . Never let me down and always shifted the same .

The clutch will be covered under your factory warranty. If you purchased from us our extended warranty covers as well. I cant speak for other dealerships extended warranties.

Reactions: joeymt33
B

BrianAbbott

Jan 21, 2016
chattanooga tn
Do you know the VIN range? I'm considering a 1000 3 seater. The country here in W.KY goes from flat to steep hills and if I'm going to burn up the clutch backing up a steep bank or with a load on a trailer I need to look at something else.

I'm new to the forum but have been doing research for a month or so. I've always had good luck from Honda in the past but want to buy the best machine for my use and money.

Justin

The vin range was not specified when we were talking about it. Ill see if I can find out. The Pioneer is a solid machine. I have sold many customers from KY and all love them. If I can be of any service to you let me know.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The vin range was not specified when we were talking about it. Ill see if I can find out. The Pioneer is a solid machine. I have sold many customers from KY and all love them. If I can be of any service to you let me know.
The vin range is on this site somewhere. I think @JACKAL has the info.

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC

There is a break in period for this machine. Shifting becomes smoother and better over time. That might be what you noticed. Also, after the first oil change you will notice a change. I suspect the ECM detects the first service and changes behaviour - its hard to believe fresh oil would make such a big difference.

Every clutch problem I've heard of has been covered under warranty.

1% failure rate sounds high enough to be concerned but the affected units are being repaired under warranty. After the 1% is take care care of, we're back to having Honda reliability. (IMHO) compare your options...

Last edited:
Reactions: bobush and sharp
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys, hopefully someone will post up the vin's.

Brian I'm in the other end of the state from you or I'd be giving you a call. Abernathy is about an hour from me and FDR is 20 minutes away.

I will be using this rig around my brothers farm, trail riding and my wife will use it around in our yard. A lot of the trail riding will be slow technical stuff and it will have to work loaded, this is what concern me about the clutches. It seems the people that have trouble with them are loading them up at take off.

I'd like to buy one within the next couple weeks as our deer season comes in about three weeks. I'm thinking I'll go Tuesday and test ride a General and then the P1000 and make my deceision.

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Brian I'm in the other end of the state from you or I'd be giving you a call. Abernathy is about an hour from me and FDR is 20 minutes away.

I will be using this rig around my brothers farm, trail riding and my wife will use it around in our yard. A lot of the trail riding will be slow technical stuff and it will have to work loaded, this is what concern me about the clutches. It seems the people that have trouble with them are loading them up at take off.

I'd like to buy one within the next couple weeks as our deer season comes in about three weeks. I'm thinking I'll go Tuesday and test ride a General and then the P1000 and make my deceision.

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Check the Polaris forms first after that you may only want to get the Honda pioneer. Don't think you will be disappointed !

Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

Make sure you do some research on the General before you jump in. I am not a rabid fan of my Pioneer but I would take it any day over a General.

And it isn't just cosmetic issues like the pitiful doors. There are some serious design/build issues related to the phasing of the drive shaft and the resulting wear on the frond diff on top of the "normal" Polaris quality issues.

You may also want to do some research on the design of the standard non ADC/EBS clutch system and how it works. Particularly in relation to down hill free-wheeling and belt glazing if you are going to be running it in hilly areas.

If you are going to Abernathy's to do a test drive, don't waste the trip. They only let you ride in the parking lot now while wearing a helmet, which won't really tell you anything.

If you don't have anywhere to test drive, send me a PM and you can come and ride mine in my yard (I am about 30 min or so south of Abernathy's). Not quite a trail but better than a parking lot.

I also live fairly close to a Can Am / Polaris / Arctic Cat / Kawasaki / Argo dealership that has an obstacle course that you can to a test drive on that could let you get a pretty good comparison with the Pioneer.

Personally, based on my research and experience I would look at the Defender or a Mule Pro FXT long before I did a General.

Being I am currently a "man of leisure" due to an injury, I will be around all day other than my PT appointment so let me know if you are interested.

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the generous offer Crow Hunter. I work 12 hour swing shift and am currently on nights so the plan is to get up around noon Tuesday and go to Paducah. The drive will be around their parking lot too. A friend of mines son has a p1000 that I may be able to take for a ride.

Thanks for the input guys.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nothing is perfect. I've been riding / driving Honda's for many years - great quality is the reason I just bought another one! Problems and issues are greatly magnified on forums like this, just the way it is. Purchase one from a good dealership that moves a lot of machines and they will stand behind you and get the appropriate attention from Honda. I bought mine from Southern Honda Powersports in Chattanooga, excellent experience by the way. If I had a major issue, I would take it back to them even though they are over 100 miles from me.

Reactions: sharp
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The vin range is on this site somewhere. I think @JACKAL has the info.
No the initial dozen of us that had issues 8 months ago was putting our vin # up to compare, there wasn't any pattern I could see with the limited number of units involved. I can say my machine has been rock solid since my repairs this spring all covered by warranty. I used mine clearing my lot working it pretty good since being repaired and have had no signs of weakness since. However anything can be broken if put in a bad enough situation, but working the machine isn't one of them.

Many that had problems did so in the first 200 miles which is also about how long it takes to get the machine to quiet down during break-in. Initially the shifting noise is noticeable but almost disappears entirely with some miles on it. Just stick with Honda recommended oil it does seem to make a difference.

Reactions: sharp
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3

You will again notice a difference after your first oil change.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!