BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Need to press some ball joints and tired of the hassle. Any suggestions on a press? Good, bad... looking at the HF because I can get it quick.

12 ton H-Frame Industrial Heavy Duty Floor Shop Press

The one you are looking would be great for disassembly but I always preferred one like this for putting stuff together you can feel more

Screenshot 20200428 055657 Samsung Internet

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Harbor Freight 20 ton. I never used it with the stock jack. I bought a HF 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. I have it set up for both hand and foot operation. I added 80k press plates to replace the cast plates that come with it. I also added a Swag off-road finger brake kit. I added a Swag release knob as well

XMHF Pneumatic Foot Pedal Valve 2 Way 2 Position Air Pedal Valve Foot Control Switch 1Pcs Amazon.com: XMHF Pneumatic Foot Pedal Valve 2 Way 2 Position Air Pedal Valve Foot Control Switch 1Pcs: Home Improvement

Overall I'm happy with the set up. It's easy to use, easy to control both up and down and it'd a lot more robust than the 12 ton press that it replaced. I added washers to all the hardware and lock tire to all the nuts. I've had it since November but used it quite a bit since I like to use it. This photo is before the foot pedal which really is nice to use. If you need to slow down the pace you can manually jack the HF air Jack just like the original 20 ton jack.

IMG 20191202 203121

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My cousin has the harbor freight one. I go to his place to use it often. Works great. Recently pressed out/in a wheel bearing for my beater car. I've used it for ball joints on quads/sideby sides too. I can't think of any reason to buy anything fancier.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My cousin has the harbor freight one. I go to his place to use it often. Works great. Recently pressed out/in a wheel bearing for my beater car. I've used it for ball joints on quads/sideby sides too. I can't think of any reason to buy anything fancier.
This is the best answer.
If you share a case of beer with a buddy you become cousins. Then, you can use his press and not have one taking up space in your shop.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Need to press some ball joints and tired of the hassle. Any suggestions on a press? Good, bad... looking at the HF because I can get it quick.

12 ton H-Frame Industrial Heavy Duty Floor Shop Press

I ended up with a Harbour Freight press like the one in the pic. Got it from an estate auction. It does balljoints in a-arms just fine if you get inventive using little pieces of pipe or deep well sockets to press them in or out. Ive cut pieces of angle iron I keep with it for spanning the gap of the beams down below to set stuff on. Its not something that gets used very often but Im glad I got it. I think it will do you just fine.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I have always used one of these. Of corse mine is Mac Tools and have had it over 20 yrs but this one is basically the same. Reason being some trucks we had, were easier to do it on the truck but off the truck and in a vise it works as well also. I use a impact air gun with it. The one your looking at are real nice if you have the space to store it. I used the one at the shop when I had issues and needed some more guts but that wasn’t very often

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have always used one of these. Of corse mine is Mac Tools and have had it over 20 yrs but this one is basically the same. Reason being some trucks we had, were easier to do it on the truck but off the truck and in a vise it works as well also. I use a impact air gun with it. The one your looking at are real nice if you have the space to store it. I used the one at the shop when I had issues and needed some more guts but that wasn’t very often

If all you need is balljoints, these work well without removing a arms.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Harbor Freight 20 ton. I never used it with the stock jack. I bought a HF 20 ton air over hydraulic jack. I have it set up for both hand and foot operation. I added 80k press plates to replace the cast plates that come with it. I also added a Swag off-road finger brake kit. I added a Swag release knob as well

XMHF Pneumatic Foot Pedal Valve 2 Way 2 Position Air Pedal Valve Foot Control Switch 1Pcs Amazon.com: XMHF Pneumatic Foot Pedal Valve 2 Way 2 Position Air Pedal Valve Foot Control Switch 1Pcs: Home Improvement

Overall I'm happy with the set up. It's easy to use, easy to control both up and down and it'd a lot more robust than the 12 ton press that it replaced. I added washers to all the hardware and lock tire to all the nuts. I've had it since November but used it quite a bit since I like to use it. This photo is before the foot pedal which really is nice to use. If you need to slow down the pace you can manually jack the HF air Jack just like the original 20 ton jack.

View attachment 199743

I'd go this ^^^^^ route @JTW I think the most important factor though is having good plates to be able to adapt to your needs. That is what really makes using a press easy or difficult.

Mopower58

Mopower58

No reservations about no reservations
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have had the HF press for 20 years and never a problem other than I dropped one of those plates and it broke in half. After the Covid outbreak no more China stuff for me even if it is cheaper.

J

JTW

So is the 20 ton that much sturdier than the 12 ton? I just figured they’re the same frame with different bottle jacks. I’ve looked at arbor presses too, but I’m not sure how much pressure I need. And yes, @ToddACimer I’ve already been looking at the pneumatic bottle jacks.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!