BOX1

R-Max

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
My 1000-5 is pretty good, it’s not the HOT BOX everyone keeps talking about. There is heat but it’s not that bad.
Dude, you could put a pig on a rotisserie and cook it while your trail riding and have it for supper that night at camp! Heat issues in pioneers are well documented and real!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Dude, you could put a pig on a rotisserie and cook it while your trail riding and have it for supper that night at camp! Heat issues in pioneers are well documented and real!
Maybe I’m just tougher than the rest of you sissy’s. Like I said, there is heat but it’s not that bad in my opinion.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I copied @JTW fan mod that he copied from someone else, summer heat is a nonissue now. And welcomed in the winter, and have a enclosure coming!

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Little spring pushes against big spring at full droop. @snuffnwhisky can splain it better.

Tender spring setup. I'll put this in basic terms, just examples. Lots of variables with shock angles, mounting locations, etc.

- You have a 2,000# machine, 500# at each wheel.
- You have a 10" stroke shock and want the ride height with 6" up travel and 4" down.
- You want a spring rate of 300# per in.
- You would need to put 1,200# on that spring to compress the shock 4" to get ride height but only have 500# on it.
- With no spring preload the spring will only compress 1.66" at ride height.
- If you back the preload rings off to get the correct ride height, your spring will be loose when the shock extends.
- Add a dual spring like a 200# over 300# and your new spring rate is 125# per in. (200 + 300 / 4)
- Now the 500# load compresses the springs 4" with no preload.
- With a dual spring setup, Get the correct length upper spring so it coil binds at ride height and now the rest of the up travel is at 300# per in.

- OPTIONAL, install a longer upper spring and crossover nuts to get a dual rate setup. You can move the crossover nuts down to where they touch the spring divider at ride height and it will preform just like a tender spring setup above.
- With the Dual rate setup, it allows you to move the crossover rings up higher so you can have that 125# per in spring rate past the 4" of compression at ride height and transition to the 300# rate farther in the travel.

Last edited:
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Tender spring setup. I'll put this in basic terms, just examples. Lots of variables with shock angles, mounting locations, etc.

- You have a 2,000# machine, 500# at each wheel.
- You have a 10" stroke shock and want the ride height with 6" up travel and 4" down.
- You want a spring rate of 300# per in.
- You would need to put 1,200# on that spring to compress the shock 4" to get ride height but only have 500# on it.
- With no spring preload the spring will only compress 1.66" at ride height.
- If you back the preload rings off to get the correct ride height, your spring will be loose when the shock extends.
- Add a dual spring like a 200# over 300# and your new spring rate is 125# per in. (200 + 300 / 4)
- Now the 500# load compresses the springs 4" with no preload.
- With a dual spring setup, Get the correct length upper spring so it coil binds at ride height and now the rest of the up travel is at 300# per in.

- OPTIONAL, install a longer upper spring and crossover nuts to get a dual rate setup. You can move the crossover nuts down to where they touch the spring divider at ride height and it will preform just like a tender spring setup above.
- With the Dual rate setup, it allows you to move the crossover rings up higher so you can have that 125# per in spring rate past the 4" of compression at ride height and transition to the 300# rate farther in the travel.
What ever happened to the progressive wound single spring?

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to say I never had an issue when I had the windshield off .. which is how I run once the weather warms up. outside of the Polaris North Star with AC every side by side is going to get hot with a windshield. If it is 95 ° out side .. your going to be hotter.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have to say I never had an issue when I had the windshield off .. which is how I run once the weather warms up. outside of the Polaris North Star with AC every side by side is going to get hot with a windshield. If it is 95 ° out side .. your going to be hotter.
I agree with all this stuff, just have one question for @Tigermark , How do you keep all the dust off of the pork on the rotisserie while riding? This I got to know! This isn't well documented.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
I agree with all this stuff, just have one question for @Tigermark , How do you keep all the dust off of the pork on the rotisserie while riding? This I got to know! This isn't well documented.
You wash it off with the apple juice squirt bottle right before you put on da bar b que sauce!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Yes, I realize that in summer weather someone riding in any sxs it’s going to be hot.And it typically doesn’t bother me other than when you hit a puddle and get steam roasted. And I like to ride with windshield and hard roof so that does make a difference. But the question was specifically about the pioneer. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that we all did additional insulation and fans under the seat to mitigate the heat issue. And Honda themselves came out with a product improvement campaign because of the heat issues . And they had issues in the rear seating areas with the floors getting so hot they had holes melted through. just sayin

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I realize that in summer weather someone riding in any sxs it’s going to be hot.And it typically doesn’t bother me other than when you hit a puddle and get steam roasted. And I like to ride with windshield and hard roof so that does make a difference. But the question was specifically about the pioneer. Please correction me if I’m wrong, but I believe that we all did additional insulation and fans under the seat to mitigate the heat issue. And Honda themselves came out with a product improvement campaign because of the heat issues. And they had issues in the rear seating areas with the floors getting so hot they had holes melted through. just sayin
I’ve not had any issues and I don’t have any fans.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes, I realize that in summer weather someone riding in any sxs it’s going to be hot.And it typically doesn’t bother me other than when you hit a puddle and get steam roasted. And I like to ride with windshield and hard roof so that does make a difference. But the question was specifically about the pioneer. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that we all did additional insulation and fans under the seat to mitigate the heat issue. And Honda themselves came out with a product improvement campaign because of the heat issues . And they had issues in the rear seating areas with the floors getting so hot they had holes melted through. just sayin
Dang! You can remember that far back! HA! I can't remember all the recalls, several! And one to go. At least Honda does recalls? Our P1 will never leave, but will have a new stable mate in the future.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Little spring pushes against big spring at full droop. @snuffnwhisky can splain it better.

I understand the concept. Just tell me how the coilbound spring in the video is working in line with the concept....

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Don't bring those things up! They all want to pretend it's not an issue. But then they'll say the dont ride with a windshield and avoid water puddles like the plague....hmmm. I've had 2 pioneers but I must be crazy and imagining things.....

I fixed the heat issues on the 3 seat but mitigating the heat issue on a 5 seat when you're riding in the summer and its 100 degrees, thats a lot more of a challenge. The Pioneer is a good machine but there are quickly becoming better options that are similar size.

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
...On my review of the RMax I mentioned theres no interior heat for a positive in the summer but that’s also under negative for winter and night rides...

Yamaha sells a factory heater kit that looks really slick. There’s a fan coil that ties in off of the water pump with ductwork that goes to the dash.

Reactions: Biteme and Russ989
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
And this is a case of engineers out smarting themselves, the tinder springs are stupid, wait 5 years and see if they don't go back to a single spring?
Maybe on the lower cost units but the last paragraph from the article Ragnar406 posted a couple of pages ago says dual springs with crossover rings have been on every winning off road vehicle for a long time. It's likely to stay that way.

Finally, we did not invent the Dual Rate Spring system that uses a cross over ring. It has been around for decades. Every competitive Trophy Truck, class one car and long travel sand car uses this system. Why do we market TRUE DUAL RATE spring kits with a cross over ring? Not to sell our cross over rings, that is for sure. You can buy your own cross over rings for any shock and use them too. You just have to pay a shock guy to put them on since they are not two piece. We market TRUE DUAL RATE spring kits because they are the best system you can run. From a spring stand point, it gives you the softest, most compliant and versatile ride quality possible over any and all terrain. We know from experience that this spring system combined with proper shock valving is the best possible system to run. Why doesn’t the factory run it on all their cars standard? Cost. Two springs with a divider and cross over are way more expensive than a single spring. Some accountant has done the math and figured they won’t sell enough units to justify the cost because most people just don’t know how great a good ride can become. You don’t have to take our word for it, just Google up a picture of every winner of every SCORE, BITD or LUCAS OIL race in the last 20 years and you will see a dual rate spring system with a cross over ring on it. Educate yourself and see how smooth things can be on your UTV!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!