Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I realize that in summer weather someone riding in any sxs it’s going to be hot.And it typically doesn’t bother me other than when you hit a puddle and get steam roasted. And I like to ride with windshield and hard roof so that does make a difference. But the question was specifically about the pioneer. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that we all did additional insulation and fans under the seat to mitigate the heat issue. And Honda themselves came out with a product improvement campaign because of the heat issues . And they had issues in the rear seating areas with the floors getting so hot they had holes melted through. just sayin
O heck you... blower under the seat and reflective material ... yep... Can Am’s are hot , Polaris are warm ... I dont know which is warmer my only point is All Sxs’s seem to produce more heat than owners want ... I know the talon is hot too ... but this also seems to amplify when you have a windshield ... nice in winter but in summer I chose not to have a windshield .... something about negative pressure

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't bring those things up! They all want to pretend it's not an issue. But then they'll say the dont ride with a windshield and avoid water puddles like the plague....hmmm. I've had 2 pioneers but I must be crazy and imagining things.....

I fixed the heat issues on the 3 seat but mitigating the heat issue on a 5 seat when you're riding in the summer and its 100 degrees, thats a lot more of a challenge. The Pioneer is a good machine but there are quickly becoming better options that are similar size.
If having two Pioneers makes you an authority on the subject then kiss the ring because I’ve had three! 😂 I’m not imagining anything, there is heat, it’s not that bad on my 2019. If I wanted to avoid heat, water and dust I’d buy a damn jeep with AC and start glamping. The Rmax is a better machine in a lot of areas, it’s also brand new to the market. Props to Yamaha for finally coming out swinging since the Wolverine x4 was very underwhelming and no competition for the 1000-5.

Last edited:
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
If having two Pioneers makes you an authority on the subject then kiss the ring because I’ve had three! 😂 I’m not imagining anything, there is heat, it’s not that bad on my 2019. If I wanted to avoid heat, water and dust I’d buy a damn jeep with AC and start glamping. The Rmax is a better machine in a lot of areas, it’s also brand new to the market. Props to Yamaha for finally coming out swinging since the Wolverine x4 was very underwhelming and no competition for the 1000-5.
I’ve had three also. A P500, a 1000, 3 and a 1000,5. loved um all! I also have a Jeep with AC. Does that make me an authority on sxs heat issues, no. But when the manufacture comes out with there own product improvement campaign (a recall) what da hell does that tell you?????? It tells you there’s an issue especially on the 2016,2017 models.

Just FYI, Your lucky your 2019 has all the factory heat upgrades already installed.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had three also. A P500, a 1000, 3 and a 1000,5. loved um all! I also have a Jeep with AC. Does that make me an authority on sxs heat issues, no. But when the manufacture comes out with there own product improvement campaign (a recall) what da hell does that tell you?????? It tells you there’s an issue especially on the 2016,2017 models.

Just FYI, Your lucky your 2019 has all the factory heat upgrades already installed.
My point is that my 2019 isn’t like the 2016-2017s that had the issue. To add to you’re point, I never buy the first couple model years for this reason.

Reactions: Biteme and toddvdh
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Lol well you win. My point was that I obviously continued with the pioneer despite some of its issues, heat being one of them, and bought again. Just saying times have changed, options have changed, pioneer hasn't changed.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lol well you win. My point was that I obviously continued with the pioneer despite some of its issues, heat being one of them, and bought again. Just saying times have changed, options have changed, pioneer hasn't changed.
I agree 100%, Honda sucks at keeping up. They wouldn’t have to do much to keep the 1000-5 relevant but as you and I well know, they won’t.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe on the lower cost units but the last paragraph from the article Ragnar406 posted a couple of pages ago says dual springs with crossover rings have been on every winning off road vehicle for a long time. It's likely to stay that way.

Finally, we did not invent the Dual Rate Spring system that uses a cross over ring. It has been around for decades. Every competitive Trophy Truck, class one car and long travel sand car uses this system. Why do we market TRUE DUAL RATE spring kits with a cross over ring? Not to sell our cross over rings, that is for sure. You can buy your own cross over rings for any shock and use them too. You just have to pay a shock guy to put them on since they are not two piece. We market TRUE DUAL RATE spring kits because they are the best system you can run. From a spring stand point, it gives you the softest, most compliant and versatile ride quality possible over any and all terrain. We know from experience that this spring system combined with proper shock valving is the best possible system to run. Why doesn’t the factory run it on all their cars standard? Cost. Two springs with a divider and cross over are way more expensive than a single spring. Some accountant has done the math and figured they won’t sell enough units to justify the cost because most people just don’t know how great a good ride can become. You don’t have to take our word for it, just Google up a picture of every winner of every SCORE, BITD or LUCAS OIL race in the last 20 years and you will see a dual rate spring system with a cross over ring on it. Educate yourself and see how smooth things can be on your UTV!
👍

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

I've ridden and worked on most of them and it's an issue on all sxs's. The upgrade that Honda made helps but was minimal. The Rmax has less penetrations through the plastics but it's still hot and loud. In the next few weeks there's a patented upgrade coming for all these machines. Still doesn't eliminate the issue but works better than the factory fixes and you won't have to take half the machine apart to install it. Won't break the bank either, $105 to your door anywhere in the US, $145 to CA.

Fro

Fro

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2016
Ardmore
I've ridden and worked on most of them and it's an issue on all sxs's. The upgrade that Honda made helps but was minimal. The Rmax has less penetrations through the plastics but it's still hot and loud. In the next few weeks there's a patented upgrade coming for all these machines. Still doesn't eliminate the issue but works better than the factory fixes and you won't have to take half the machine apart to install it. Won't break the bank either, $105 to your door anywhere in the US, $145 to CA.
Engine heat getting in my cab was one of the main reasons I got rid of my Pioneer. I don’t notice any engine heat getting in the cab of my RMAX. If you have a good fix coming out I imagine you’ll sell a ton of them.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honestly, if somebody had an X2 I might already have one. Just can't cough up the money for the RMAX.
That said, the 700 hasn't been pissing me off lately. Maybe it can read my mind?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
So I was loading up at the trailhead this afternoon when a PooPoo and an RMAX pulled up on the trailer next to me. I walked over, said Hi and asked about the RMAX, knowing we all like to talk about our rides. Within moments he said something about the stupid belt on the PooPoo and was really glad the RMAX didn't have one, it had a transmission - AND it had a 10 year warranty on the driveline. He was insistent, there's no belt on his RMAX like that awful PooPoo.

Now I'm not one to argue specs with an owner, what do I know after all? - so I shut my trap. I wonder how he thinks that the rpm is controlled seamlessly? Talk about lying dealerships, hook - line - and - sinker, they sold this guy a load of BS. LOL

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I was loading up at the trailhead this afternoon when a PooPoo and an RMAX pulled up on the trailer next to me. I walked over, said Hi and asked about the RMAX, knowing we all like to talk about our rides. Withing moments he said something about the stupid belt on the PooPoo and was really glad the RMAX didn't have one, it had a transmission - AND it had a 10 year warranty on the driveline. He was insistent, there's no belt on his RMAX like that awful PooPoo.

Now I'm not one to argue specs with an owner, what do I know after all? - so I shut my trap. I wonder how he thinks that the rpm is controlled seamlessly? Talk about lying dealerships, hook - line - and - sinker, they sold this guy a load of BS. LOL
Wonder if he knows about his blinker fluid and exhaust bearings?

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!