P1000 Radiator fan override

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi FarmTim: The following is from a posting I made on Oct. 12 last year. I've used the fan switch extensively since then and it works just fine with no negative feedback. I have since had the factory fan switch replaced under warranty but have not had the fan come on automatically since it was replaced. I am in the process of installing a Trail Tech digital temp gauge. The research for this has been time consuming. I was told on this site that Koso offered a hose adapter with a port for a temp sender. Trail Tech does as well, however I want to put the adapter in the by pass hose that by passes the thermostat when the engine is cold. That hose is a 12 mm diameter hose (1/2" nominal ID) and the smallest adapter made is 14mm. So, I ordered some brass fittings to make an adapter. The biggest leak is that both companies use a sender that uses BSP (British Pipe Thread). The problem is that an adapter from NPT to BSP is not readily available and there are 2 BSP threads, one is parallel and one is tapered. Some suppliers label them as BSPP and BSPT for tapered and parallel but more often they don't. The senders from both Trail Tech and Koso and 1/8" male BSPP. Amazon offers an adapter from VIAIR which makes on board air compressors for vehicles. The part number is VIAIR 90001 and the adapter is 1/4" Male NPT x 1/8" Female BSPP. I am connecting that to a 3/8" X 3/8" X 1/4" brass pipe tee and the two 3/8' ports have 1/2" hose barb adapters. The only thing I don't like about these 2 gauges is that they are both battery powered (5 year batteries) rather than powered by the vehicle battery. I am limited by dash space and didn't want a round gauge but Glow Shift makes some round ones that use NPT threads. I also ran across a thread from some one who did something similar to what I am doing along with some very good photos: INSTALLED TEMPERATURE GAUGE - Finally! - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community
I hope this lengthy response is helpful.

OldGasser

Reactions: Chevy412SP
O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry, I forgot to paste the original post:
By coincidence I just got through doing this on my 2017 1000-5 LE. The most aggravating thing is that the fan controller isn't where the Honda Service Manual says it is. I don't know about earlier models but the 2017 has a storage compartment under the drivers seat. After removing the side cover you have to remove the storage compartment and the PCM and the fan controller are inboard from the compartment held by rubber straps. I had to do this because while Quail hunting with this nearly new machine I got an over heat warning. After letting it cool off I realized that the radiator fan was not running. Got it back to camp and trailered it home because the nearest dealer is 125 miles away. After doing all the service manual diagnostics I came to the conclusion that the fan controller had stopped working so I spliced into the fan leads (blue + power) (green/ground). I installed a double pole single throw switch and mounted it through a hole in the vertical plastic shield below the drivers seat. The switch is directly in front of the PCM. I decided to use a double pole switch and switch both the power and the ground because there doesn't appear to be a permanent ground to the fan motor so it must be controlled by either the PCM or the fan controller. Anyhow I'm taking it back to Quail camp tomorrow confident that my over heating problems shouldn't come back.

OldGasser

Reactions: Plumber32
farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for all the info, I am going to bleed air out or burp cooling system and I think I will put a small radiator cooling fan in engine compartment to help disperse some of the heat when engine is working hard and I think that will probably help, Thank You Much,,,

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I kept it simple. Ran a wire from fuse panel to switch over to blue wire going to fan. Only use it when I know it is working its heart out, like last weekend. 104 degrees, no win,d and climbing steep hills with 500 lbs of opalized wood in the back, plus 3 of us lightweights @ 250 lbs each. Have never had any backfeed or other issues. Automatic controls still in place and working fine.

Reactions: joeymt33
P

patpete

Apr 8, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did this with a lighted rocker switch. I have an added acc fuse panel ran wire to switch then spliced in on vehicle side of fan plug. I now have manual control and when in auto the light comes on when fan kicks on

P

patpete

Apr 8, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I did my conversion for about 20.00, while the sxs store kit is plug and play I can’t see spending 60.00 more unless you have no idea how to do simple wiring.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did my conversion for about 20.00, while the sxs store kit is plug and play I can’t see spending 60.00 more unless you have no idea how to do simple wiring.

Wow, I didn’t know what the price is and I’m surprised to see they are that high.

J

JTW

Wow, I didn’t know what the price is and I’m surprised to see they are that high.

They’re not..

D6A930AD E809 47B0 85E7 D0AC672ADB15

Pioneer 1000 Fan T-Harness DIY Fan Override! On/Off/Auto.

OR

there is a complete kit option with switch and all for those that want it..
47255B65 A4E6 41B2 A6CF 7E2BE2D3C5F7

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Copy that. The $20 wiring harness was a gift from someone and I got the switch from Amazon.

It’s funny how we complain about the cost of things yet we’re so thankful to have access to them. We would be sick to know what the markup is on pretty much everything in life.

I know in my line of business we mark up most things six times what it cost us. If we did not have the incentive to get paid so much then we wouldn’t have incentive to take initiative to create such items for everyone to enjoy.

J

JTW

Copy that. The $20 wiring harness was a gift from someone and I got the switch from Amazon.

It’s funny how we complain about the cost of things yet we’re so thankful to have access to them. We would be sick to know what the markup is on pretty much everything in life.

I know in my line of business we mark up most things six times what it cost us. If we did not have the incentive to get paid so much then we wouldn’t have incentive to take initiative to create such items for everyone to enjoy.
Yeah... and think about the markup on a good prostitute! Something they literally give away at times, that didn’t cost them a thing!!

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah... and think about the markup on a good prostitute! Something they literally give away at times, that didn’t cost them a thing!!

That’s no different than working at McDonald’s and eating the cheeseburgers.

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is this the clear plug on the right where I need to put the plug and play in to? I can't seem to get it unplugged so want to make sure that's it before I keep busting knuckles.

IMG 20200323 145943

M

MarylandMark

Oct 22, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks!! I knew about the tab but couldn't seem to get it...........because it's accessed from the passenger side but the tab is on the drivers side. I was poking the wrong side (doc says I need reading glasses, he might be on to something...). Thanks again for the help!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!