Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Has anyone put in a switch to manually override the radiator fan?

On my Honda Foreman, I have a switch where I can leave the fan in auto or turn it manually on or manually off for deep water crossings.

Just checking to see if anyone has done this before I try to figure it out.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R

On my Honda Foreman, I have a switch where I can leave the fan in auto or turn it manually on or manually off for deep water crossings.

Shouldn't be hard to do. Take pics.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Would be super easy just have to wire a switch in parallel to the relay so u can send power like designed or at your command

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I get back from Panama and then get back from vacation at royal blue I’ll start to work on this.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
if your by the canal take a few pics of it and the new extension if you can please

I think they’re expanding it right across from the hotel but it’s hard to see. I did take this picture today...

5b1f11c07539d9a6b57821e72d47106f

Next time I come down here I need to bring the drone and get some better pictures

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Hi Joey: By coincidence I just got through doing this on my 2017 1000-5 LE. The most aggravating thing is that the fan controller isn't where the Honda Service Manual says it is. I don't know about earlier models but the 2017 has a storage compartment under the drivers seat. After removing the side cover you have to remove the storage compartment and the PCM and the fan controller are inboard from the compartment held by rubber straps. I had to do this because while Quail hunting with this nearly new machine I got an over heat warning. After letting it cool off I realized that the radiator fan was not running. Got it back to camp and trailered it home because the nearest dealer is 125 miles away. After doing all the service manual diagnostics I came to the conclusion that the fan controller had stopped working so I spliced into the fan leads (blue + power) (green/ground). I installed a double pole single throw switch and mounted it through a hole in the vertical plastic shield below the drivers seat. The switch is directly in front of the PCM. I decided to use a double pole switch and switch both the power and the ground because there doesn't appear to be a permanent ground to the fan motor so it must be controlled by either the PCM or the fan controller. Anyhow I'm taking it back to Quail camp tomorrow confident that my over heating problems shouldn't come back.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hi Joey: By coincidence I just got through doing this on my 2017 1000-5 LE. The most aggravating thing is that the fan controller isn't where the Honda Service Manual says it is. I don't know about earlier models but the 2017 has a storage compartment under the drivers seat. After removing the side cover you have to remove the storage compartment and the PCM and the fan controller are inboard from the compartment held by rubber straps. I had to do this because while Quail hunting with this nearly new machine I got an over heat warning. After letting it cool off I realized that the radiator fan was not running. Got it back to camp and trailered it home because the nearest dealer is 125 miles away. After doing all the service manual diagnostics I came to the conclusion that the fan controller had stopped working so I spliced into the fan leads (blue + power) (green/ground). I installed a double pole single throw switch and mounted it through a hole in the vertical plastic shield below the drivers seat. The switch is directly in front of the PCM. I decided to use a double pole switch and switch both the power and the ground because there doesn't appear to be a permanent ground to the fan motor so it must be controlled by either the PCM or the fan controller. Anyhow I'm taking it back to Quail camp tomorrow confident that my over heating problems shouldn't come back.

Thank you for this information!

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 has overheated on me twice because fan didn't come on I believe. Did this resolve your problem, I'd like to install manual switch as well if it did

O

oldgasser

Feb 26, 2017
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2017 1000-5 has overheated on me twice because fan didn't come on I believe. Did this resolve your problem, I'd like to install manual switch as well if it did

Since I installed the manual switch I have had no further incidents of overheating. In fact I haven't gotten any warmer than 2 of the 4 segments on the visual temp monitor. I notified my dealer and they have ordered a fan controller module to install when they do my clutch and cabin heat upgrades. I am not certain but I thought the fan came on automatically once or twice so the problem with the controller may be intermittent.

knuckledeep

knuckledeep

my trailer queen is trashy
Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2015
Eustis florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have you burped the air out of your cooling system most have had the same issue and fixed it after it had the air removed

brad-1000-5

brad-1000-5

Oct 23, 2017
Bowling Green, ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I pulled up on an incline started engine with reservoir cap and radiator cap removed. 20 minutes at warm temp-2 bars on temp indicator- I then installed radiator cap and drove 5+ miles up and down the road to further remove air. The last overheat was this past Saturday, so a little time will tell I suppose. Thanks for the reply

farmtimpioneer

farmtimpioneer

Wise Men Still Seek "Him"
Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018
Brookville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I am New Here I have a P1000-3 with about 170 miles on it went trail ridding past week end and it over heated once going up a good size hill all was clean cooled down quick but not positive fan was running when that happen, in short has anyone put an over ride switch on fan and if so does it cause any issue with ecm or ground, I guess I am asking for a little more details on how to, Thanks,,,,

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hello, I am New Here I have a P1000-3 with about 170 miles on it went trail ridding past week end and it over heated once going up a good size hill all was clean cooled down quick but not positive fan was running when that happen, in short has anyone put an over ride switch on fan and if so does it cause any issue with ecm or ground, I guess I am asking for a little more details on how to, Thanks,,,,

This has been something on my to do list but it hasn’t been very important for me so I haven’t done it yet. I’m not sure if it’s going to cause any issues or not.

I see that your vehicle is low mileage. The coolant system probably needs to be burped. Using a lift, tractor or the winch try to elevate the front quite a bit and start the vehicle and it should purge out any air in the system. The fan may not run when there’s air in the system because it doesn’t get a true temperature reading they say.

I’d try that first before trying to do a fan override switch.

Reactions: Plumber32
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This has been something on my to do list but it hasn’t been very important for me so I haven’t done it yet. I’m not sure if it’s going to cause any issues or not.

I see that your vehicle is low mileage. The coolant system probably needs to be burped. Using a lift, tractor or the winch try to elevate the front quite a bit and start the vehicle and it should purge out any air in the system. The fan may not run when there’s air in the system because it doesn’t get a true temperature reading they say.

I’d try that first before trying to do a fan override switch.
It's always bugged me that the fan doesn't run with the key off, when it's running when you turn the key off?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!