P1000 Radio Communication

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Prior to the recent Bull Run ride, several of us purchased radios for machine to machine communication. It actually worked out quite well and they did come in handy... Especially when a large group is riding together, nice when the leader and tail gunner can communicate. This is what I ended up getting:

Radio

Amazon.com: BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories

I chose this one over the others due to the larger battery and related battery life. Although the others seemed to be just fine and I believe they would last for days with a single charge.

I can't hear as good as I used to and the machine isn't exactly quiet, so I had a hard time hearing conversation when it first started and would need to reach for the radio and hold it close to hear well. Obviously, letting go of the steering wheel and grabbing a radio could prove to be hazardous to ones health! So, I purchased this mic / speaker set so I could attach it appropriately for ease of use:

Hand Held mic set
Amazon.com: BaoFeng QHM22 Platinum Series IP54 Rainproof Shoulder Speaker Mic for BaoFeng, AnyTone, Kenwood Radios: Car Electronics

This thing is really loud when cranked up! Although it's not field tested, I'm betting it does a fine job!

Relatively inexpensive and could make the ride more fun and a bit more safe as well!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Prior to the recent Bull Run ride, several of us purchased radios for machine to machine communication. It actually worked out quite well and they did come in handy... Especially when a large group is riding together, nice when the leader and tail gunner can communicate. This is what I ended up getting:

View attachment 27401

Amazon.com: BaoFeng BF-F8HP (UV-5R 3rd Gen) 8-Watt Dual Band Two-Way Radio (136-174MHz VHF & 400-520MHz UHF) Includes Full Kit with Large Battery: Cell Phones & Accessories

I chose this one over the others due to the larger battery and related battery life. Although the others seemed to be just fine and I believe they would last for days with a single charge.

I can't hear as good as I used to and the machine isn't exactly quiet, so I had a hard time hearing conversation when it first started and would need to reach for the radio and hold it close to hear well. Obviously, letting go of the steering wheel and grabbing a radio could prove to be hazardous to ones health! So, I purchased this mic / speaker set so I could attach it appropriately for ease of use:

View attachment 27402
Amazon.com: BaoFeng QHM22 Platinum Series IP54 Rainproof Shoulder Speaker Mic for BaoFeng, AnyTone, Kenwood Radios: Car Electronics

This thing is really loud when cranked up! Although it's not field tested, I'm betting it does a fine job!

Relatively inexpensive and could make the ride more fun and a bit more safe as well!
I'll be ordering one also!

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I got that same one @Manwell ... it came with an earpiece and throat mic. I set it to scan, and the battery lasted over 36 hours. I also programmed in all the FRS, GMRS, and MURS channels.
My kids walkie talkies operate on FRS. They thought it was very cool that I could program my radio to work with theirs.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which did you get?
It was the baofeng, the yellow one that you saw pics of in the bull run thread. Gt3 or something like that. They had 2 different packages. One was around $49 and the one I got was around $65 or so but it came with a larger programmer chip and all the accessories. I figured I would get the upgraded one incase I get my Hamm radio license later on.

J

JTW

It was the baofeng, the yellow one that you saw pics of in the bull run thread. Gt3 or something like that. They had 2 different packages. One was around $49 and the one I got was around $65 or so but it came with a larger programmer chip and all the accessories. I figured I would get the upgraded one incase I get my Hamm radio license later on.
Thanks.. I have that one saved also.. going to research tonight!

Reactions: sharp
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got two of the gt3's. just got them this weekend from eBay. Need to figure out how to program them. I already looked at that handset mic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There are some specific bands or frequencies that we were running on, @drfubar set mine, I believe the frequencies were suggested by @CumminsPusher and are as follows: 151.820 and 154.600 we ran on the later frequency and it worked great.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We were all of 6 miles out as the crow flies this weekend and came in clear on that wavelength. Not going to bs it was nice running on a legal.

J

JTW

We were all of 6 miles out as the crow flies this weekend and came in clear on that wavelength. Not going to bs it was nice running on a legal.

How would anyone know who or where one was if they were using a restricted channel?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There are a total of 17 clear channels however 12 are very low range at only 1-2 miles. The one above posted are good for much greater distance.

Reactions: sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I've got a 50w beofeng unit in my 1000. I like it but it is really hard to get antennae to work right. Not to mention I've ripped off two already. Need a lot of research on it. A dual band antenna is tough to get both right. Right now the little radios are getting nearly the same distance because the come with "tuned" antennas.

LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
Oh.. and is there any reason y'all are going with the handhelds vs a console style?
I really like the handheld for portability reasons. I had mine clipped on me this weekend and used it several times while not in the vehicle. A lot of us also boat together so it'll be nice to be able to use it on the lake as well.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!