P1000 CB Radio ??

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for a good way to communicate with other riders on the trial. I was thinking of a weatherproof CB or something similar.
Has anyone done something similar?
Looking for ideas!
Thanks

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hi.
You should check with your riding group to see what system they use.
Most riders seem to use UHF radios vs CB radios.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

mike621

Jul 31, 2016
Roseville
Most everyone uses Rugged Radio, they have a wide range of hand held to full on intercom systems. They have a good wed-site.

Cattrell

Cattrell

Nov 26, 2018
Church Hill TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi.
You should check with your riding group to see what system they use.
Most riders seem to use UHF radios vs CB radios.

So far nobody has anything, so we are open to suggestions. Can you suggest a type of radio?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
RR or similar is what most of use use.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F3WXL2V/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Or handheld like this - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MAULSOK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

You will need to read up on programing them along with use restrictions.

Or go with RR which comes programmed. (I think)

the Radios that Richard links are great little radios that work good for the trails. (note that to be all legal you need to get a GMRS license $70 for 10 years or something like that - providing that you use on GMRS freq)

you can usually purchase basically the same radios Rugged Radios sell but at a much cheaper rate - they program in the frequencies but the same rules apply if using GRMS freqs (they just don't tell ya). They also program some other freq like ones used at King of Hammers in there.

Lots of information on here in several different threads

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Betner communications is also a good option if you want a pre programmed option ready to go.
Looking at these for the Black Friday sale. Any input on this model he's got?

Upload 2019 11 26 9 25 3

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at these for the Black Friday sale. Any input on this model he's got?

View attachment 167637
It is probably a good radio- it does come with an antenna , coax and ground plane disk ( you may end up purchasing another mount depending on how you want to mount your antenna.
Pro's
  • Kenwood - good brand makes quality equipment
  • comes with antenna
  • comes pre programed for GMRS channels (pretty much what everyone uses) Edit to add write up states only 16 channels (total)
  • 40 watts

Cons
  • Not sure if you can program or if it requires additional programming cables and program
  • how water resistant is it?
  • UHF only (GMRS is only uhf frequencies so fine there and really not a deal killer)

Upload 2019 11 26 11 2 19

the radio will serve you fine and I hear the guy is good to work with and will answer your questions happily

That said an option (that I went with and several other have) is TYT TH8600WP - only 25 watts but waterproof or at least claims to be and I have power washed mine too many time to count. User programable and there are files passed around this site that make that easier.
25watts is plenty for use on the trail - UHF is line of sight so if you are in the bottom of a holler don't expect to talk to a buddy in the holler on the other side of the ridge no matter the wattage.

You will need to buy an antenna, mount and coax to go to the radio if you choose the TYT TH8600WP

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It is probably a good radio- it does come with an antenna , coax and ground plane disk ( you may end up purchasing another mount depending on how you want to mount your antenna.
Pro's
  • comes with antenna
  • comes pre programed for GMRS channels (pretty much what everyone uses)
  • 40 watts

Cons
  • Not sure if you can program or if it requires additional programming cables and program
  • UHF only (GMRS is only uhf frequencies so fine there and really not a deal killer)

View attachment 167645

the radio will serve you fine and I hear the guy is good to work with and will answer your questions happily

That said an option (that I went with and several other have) is TYT TH8600WP - only 25 watts but waterproof or at least claims to be and I have power washed mine too many time to count. User programable and there are files passed around this site that make that easier.
25watts is plenty for use on the trail - UHF is line of sight so if you are in the bottom of a holler don't expect to talk to a buddy in the holler on the other side of the ridge no matter the wattage.

You will need to buy an antenna, mount and coax to go to the radio if you choose the TYT TH8600WP

Hope that helps
Exactly what I needed - thanks! I have been reading through all of the other posts trying to piece it together but you just consolidated for me. I'll stick with the TYT TH8600WP.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
J

JTW

Pro's
  • comes with antenna
  • comes pre programed for GMRS channels (pretty much what everyone uses) Edit to add write up states only 16 channels (total)
  • 40 watts

Cons

View attachment 167645

Hope that helps
This....

I won’t say ours is a better radio. But we know the system.

Reactions: BWAF and Adam490
L

LewisStephens

Oct 12, 2019
Texas/Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pro's
  • comes with antenna
  • 40 watts

Cons

View attachment 167645

Hope that helps
Isn’t this an amateur radio requiring a license?

Reactions: BWAF
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Isn’t this an amateur radio requiring a license?
Technically yes. Just like you cant throw away AA batteries, vanilla flavoring or drive a car without your seatbelt on.

Get a GMRS by just paying the fee and it covers your entire "family" for 10 years.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Technically yes. Just like you cant throw away AA batteries, vanilla flavoring or drive a car without your seatbelt on.

Get a GMRS by just paying the fee and it covers your entire "family" for 10 years.
I feel enlightened now, so much knowledge in one spot.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!