DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Go find a local ham radio club and attend one of their fox hunts - the can locate a intermittent transmitting signal from 20 miles away in a surprisingly short amount of time. Are they going to track you when you are not transmitting on Ham bands (probably not unless tasked by someone else).
Im just eating popcorn...

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
" FCC does NOT come running out to hunt down the infrequent improper user of the radios."

NOT true ! Just recently a radio repeater in New Hampshire started sending out spurious emissions on one of Logan Airports air control frequencies. the FCC was out, located and shut that machine down in short order. Start causing interference on a public safety, aircraft or military frequency with one of the cheap Chinese radios you bought off Amazon, and you'll see how fast the FCC comes running.
You comparing apples to oranges. Only a fool would continue to interfere with air control traffic. Not the same as on an unessential frequency 40 miles into the boondocks.

Reactions: JTW
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
" FCC does NOT come running out to hunt down the infrequent improper user of the radios."

NOT true ! Just recently a radio repeater in New Hampshire started sending out spurious emissions on one of Logan Airports air control frequencies. the FCC was out, located and shut that machine down in short order. Start causing interference on a public safety, aircraft or military frequency with one of the cheap Chinese radios you bought off Amazon, and you'll see how fast the FCC comes running.

Correct - if you are interfering with they will come but no one is talking about transmitting on Frequency's such as aircraft control towers (118 to 130ish MHz). That is a one off case as there are many Hams that break the rules on Ham radio designated freq every day that the FCC does nothing about. "Ham radio" is mostly self policed. I have not seen a discussion on this board about someone illegally operating on assigned Ham radio frequency's

Should anyone operate the radios that have been discussed on FRS all they would be guilty of is operating above the power limit designated for that freq and maybe operating a radio not certified for that band. That in itself is hard to determine if you are not on/by the radio at time of transmission. One could and some have gotten a GMRS license and operate at a higher power on pretty much the same freq. The fact that the FCC does not go after business like Rugged radios and others that sell these radios programed with the FRS/GMRS freq is a tell tell.

We also know that a bunch of SXSer's who got their ham license and started using local repeaters to communicate on during their ride's would not be taken kindly too by the traditional Ham radio operations in that area. Ham radio is great, it serves a great purpose, it is a great hobby. It is hugely beneficial in a state of emergency such as the Joplin tornado when right after ham radio operators set up a direct line to the Springfield, MO hospital to pass critical information for supplies and help. In Puerto Rico - for months after the hurricane Ham radio was the only dependable source of communication for disaster services. I highly encourage other to also get their license and several on here have because of discussion on this board but I don't know how to end my thought train so I'll stop here:confused:

Last edited:
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You comparing apples to oranges. Only a fool would continue to interfere with air control traffic. Not the same as on an unessential frequency 40 miles into the boondocks.
This was not intentional interference, it was caused by a malfunction. My point was that the FCC does pay attention, and a simple Google search will show that there are many enforcement cases for illegal operation as well. I do wish the FCC would pay more attention on the ham bands, especially 75 meters, but that's a different story.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not the same as on an unessential frequency 40 miles into the boondocks.

Your ignorance of radio communication is enlightening. Radio communication is regulated by International law as well as FCC. US frequencies are regulated in conjunction with other countries. It again, is not all about us. There are no unessential frequencies. Your "unessential" freq. may be being used by railroad, aircraft, LE, repeater communications across country, and on and on as well as the same in neighboring countries.

Me using some "unessential frequency" while hunting where I am right now located (in the middle of nowhere) could jam Border Patrol units in the field, CBP repeaters, SO repeaters and simplex as well as radio operations across the border in Mexico. It is not "apples and oranges". As an example LAPD narcs, thinking they were on an unessential frequency while following a perp, jammed my agencies repeater input on one frequency that they could not hear and caused an agency of 400+ officers to shut down one entire frequency. They had no idea they were doing that because they could not hear the output on our frequency.

And as a Ham, if you use those frequencies without a license, other Hams will "fox hunt" you down and report your violations to FCC. They do act on those complaints.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your ignorance of radio communication is enlightening.
I admit to having on experience with HAM communication, but do with LEO communication. NO I don't know the frequency use by every LE agency BUT of the ones I have dealt with NONE of them used HAM radios, but rather their own designated frequencies. What mickey mouse agency does not have their own LE frequency???

Reactions: JTW
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Today's radios are programmable to all kinds of freqs between 130 into the UHF bands. I was not talking out HAM and our agency did and does have 40-50 frequencies from the150 MHz range to the 800 Mhz ranges. People with over the counter radios transmit on frequencies way out of the range they are allowed, including into Ham and public safety bands. Again your ignorance of radios in surprising and I cannot fix stupid so until you do some self educating, I am done with your psychobabble.

J

JTW

Today's radios are programmable to all kinds of freqs between 130 into the UHF bands. I was not talking out HAM and our agency did and does have 40-50 frequencies from the150 MHz range to the 800 Mhz ranges. People with over the counter radios transmit on frequencies way out of the range they are allowed, including into Ham and public safety bands. Again your ignorance of radios in surprising and I cannot fix stupid so until you do some self educating, I am done with your psychobabble.
Lmao... I bet you were a joy for your supervisor!

Reactions: BigOL3
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To those with LEO experience - how many times did you have an issue with someone talking on assigned police freq that was not authorized to?

And with todays modern digital and trunked systems it makes it even harder to just listen to assigned Police frequencies

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
The system we have is digital encrypted, the only problem we ever had was some one obtained a radio one time after they left a dept and would key up at night.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey ASSHOLE, why in the world do you think I had any need to be an expert about radios. I was an expert in USING the radio, the experts in programming them were NOT Troopers, but hired as 'radio tech/maintenance'. Nothing pertaining to being a Trooper en-tells the programming or maintenance of the radios ..... you DUMBASS.

Additionally, I was an expert in the operation of the units (vehicles) and use of the weapons, BUT I did not perform the mechanical work on the units, nor gunsmith on the weapons. Apparently YOU need some education on what REAL LEO's do ...... lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTW and Bad_bowtie
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To those with LEO experience - how many times did you have an issue with someone talking on assigned police freq that was not authorized to?

And with todays modern digital and trunked systems it makes it even harder to just listen to assigned Police frequencies
Absolutely NEVER. There were time that other agencies (authorized for the same frequencies) would bleed over due to 'skip' from far away. I NEVER heard civilians on our frequency.

Reactions: Ragnar406

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!