swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
you can still use your Baofeng's and be legal. Just program in MURS frequencies and run low power. And don't buy anyone's claims to range on a handheld radio, way to many variables to take into consideration. Radios are line of sight, if your on a mountain top and your buddy is on a mountain top 10 miles away, you might just get 10 miles of range. In thick woods you might be lucky to get a 1/2 mile.
So true

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
IMG 3525
I have a box of cheap ones and a couple ok jobs but these really work good for me now.... I run one on scan and the other to listen to hunters and when they are driving deer around me. That way I'm not sleeping;) Also I hear a lot of shady business too. 3 years ago In the PA,s bear season I Helped the deputy warden catch Amish killing Deer in my Uncles swamp... They are real Bastards when it come to poaching. They are 1035r FLT
They float and you get 2 for 125 bucks

Last edited:
Reactions: Dragon21
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
you can still use your Baofeng's and be legal. Just program in MURS frequencies and run low power. And don't buy anyone's claims to range on a handheld radio, way to many variables to take into consideration. Radios are line of sight, if your on a mountain top and your buddy is on a mountain top 10 miles away, you might just get 10 miles of range. In thick woods you might be lucky to get a 1/2 mile.

I thought to use MURS it had to be 90 or 95 certified? Im learning all this from the bottom up as I knew about 0% this morning

Reactions: sharp
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
View attachment 63786 I have a box of cheap ones and a couple ok jobs but these really work good for me now.... I run one on scan and the other to listen to hunters and when they are driving deer around me. That way I'm not sleeping;) Also here a lot of shady business too. 3 years ago I'm the PA,s bear season I Helped the deputy warden catch Amish killing Deer in my Uncles swamp... They are real Bastards when it come to poaching. They are 1035r FLT
They float and you get 2 for 125 bucks

That may be the route i should have gone, something a little less complicated haha. I just wanna pick a channel and talk to others in my group

Reactions: swsebek
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
There are a bunch of radios (Chinese and others) that are not certified to transmit in frequency ranges that they are.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
If it were just a US thing that might be the correct answer but radio frequency use is set by international rules. We all have to play by the rules. It is not all about us.

advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
International rules?? Pffft.. See previous statement!
Wish you guys would get all this crap figured out, so you could tell me which radio to buy! Getting to sound like a political thread! HA!

Reactions: LandPioneer and JTW
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
International rules?? Pffft.. See previous statement!
I hope you find a cure for that attitude someday :)

There really is not a handheld that will give you the tx distance that everyone seems to want. That is especially true in think timber or mountains.

J

JTW

I hope you find a cure for that attitude someday :)

There really is not a handheld that will give you the tx distance that everyone seems to want. That is especially true in think timber or mountains.
Nope.. I don’t believe in stupid rules.

D

Dasmoeturhead

Everybody needs to sit back and Chill. Your supposed to be having fun while out riding the trails, not worried about the FCC, or over zealous Ham operators jumping out from behind a tree with a radio signal locator, and busting you.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Just use the Chinese radio on those frequncies CP listed, and you'll be fine. No one on the other side of your transmission will be able to tell if your using a Baofeng, Kenwood, yaesu,alinco, icom or Disney's Donald Duck walkie talkies. No one will hear the differance.
Now if your going to use a bigger radio , say 50-80 watts now your going to be noticeable. If your dumb enough to use a repeater without a liscense that's a differant story. Somebody may try to stop you from broadcasting , but it will be verbal over the radio. There not going to jump in there 4 wheeler and track you down.
If I didn't have a liscense to use the radio properly and legally , I would choose a radio that didn't require a liscense. If your just riding trails with your pals, and don't need a radio at base camp to communicate with the Posse, then the legal radios will probably work.
Don't rule out the CB Radios. They work, and are legal. Just ask the Coon hunters up here in the Blue Ridge mountains how they work. They all use CB radios. Just a thought.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Everybody needs to sit back and Chill. Your supposed to be having fun while out riding the trails, not worried about the FCC, or over zealous Ham operators jumping out from behind a tree with a radio signal locator, and busting you.
NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Just use the Chinese radio on those frequncies CP listed, and you'll be fine. No one on the other side of your transmission will be able to tell if your using a Baofeng, Kenwood, yaesu,alinco, icom or Disney's Donald Duck walkie talkies. No one will hear the differance.
Now if your going to use a bigger radio , say 50-80 watts now your going to be noticeable. If your dumb enough to use a repeater without a liscense that's a differant story. Somebody may try to stop you from broadcasting , but it will be verbal over the radio. There not going to jump in there 4 wheeler and track you down.
If I didn't have a liscense to use the radio properly and legally , I would choose a radio that didn't require a liscense. If your just riding trails with your pals, and don't need a radio at base camp to communicate with the Posse, then the legal radios will probably work.
Don't rule out the CB Radios. They work, and are legal. Just ask the Coon hunters up here in the Blue Ridge mountains how they work. They all use CB radios. Just a thought.

Exactly get a 50w use it to communicate because fighting a 5w is infuriating, keep the airwaves clear for others to use, and everyone will be fine. Until Skynet comes online then we’re all screwed.

J

JTW

NOT GOING TO HAPPEN!
Woah woah woah... you’re speaking logically. That will NOT be tolerated around here!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!