sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, it was harder material (to learn) than I thought. I figured it would be a lot of common sense (safety)questions, like hunters education... but it was very technical stuff.
Guys that say it's easy, must have a background in electric circuitry. Or similar.

Then there are the acronyms. Oh man... everything is ITU, FCC, SBB, SWR, RACES, ARES, UHF, PSK31, and about 20 others...
So for someone to just "show up and take the test on my whim"... it's not going to go well.

HOWEVER, with that being said. I missed 1 out of 35.
Mostly because the study guides lend themselves well to memorization.
WHAT YOU SEE ON PRACTICE TESTS ARE WORDED EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE REAL TEST. Multiple choices, and all...!
THE test pool of questions are public knowledge, so these app makers and study guides ARE the test questions.

So you can actually pass the test, and never really learn the subject matter.

I studied a solid 10 hours according to HamTestOnline and that's a pretty good resource for the test. Tho overly expensive @ $25 per test level.

I've found several App Store apps that for a buck or 2 can give you endless hours of practice questions. Tho, maybe not as much explanation.

Anyone can pass. Just don't expect bluff your way through it. You'll HAVE to study, if just to learn the acronyms, alone.
Congrats! I didn't know there would be so many acronyms, I figured I would just show up for the test and just "wing it" like I did through highschool and most of college.

J

Jshell3

The thing I like about Hamtestonline is that it's intuitive. It keeps hitting you with the areas you are weak on. I haven't tried any of the apps.
Oh, it's the reason I passed.
No questions about that!
So in that respect... 100% worth it.
You,@AKRider and @Ragnar406 both suggested it.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

Congrats! I didn't know there would be so many acronyms, I figured I would just show up for the test and just "wing it" like I did through highschool and most of college.
Download
"HAM Tech" from the App Store. It's free. And contains the entire 426 test question pool.

Immediately take a practice test. You'll get a pretty good idea if you can wing it or not.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh, it's the reason I passed.
No questions about that!
So in that respect... 100% worth it.
You (@AKRider ) and a couple other HAM / SxS members suggested it.

Congratulations Jshell!! Good job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and Jshell3
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I passed.

I'm all legal-like.
Congratulations - there is some site that you can watch to see when they assign you a call sign - I will see if I can find it. I know that it is usually posted there about 9 days after the test... beats waiting on the License to come in the mail. Back when I tested it took 3 months - which sucked but they have really streamlined it in the last 20 year lol

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Jshell3
I found the instructions

To search for your record:

1. Go to http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls.
  2. Click the Licenses button.
  3. You will then get the search form. In the drop down box, choose to search “By Name“, then type in your last name, or your last name and first name separated by a comma. (Use your legal name as you entered it on your application.)
  4. If you get a match, you will see your name along with your callsign.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Congratulations - there is some site that you can watch to see when they assign you a call sign - I will see if I can find it. I know that it is usually posted there about 9 days after the test... beats waiting on the License to come in the mail. Back when I tested it took 3 months - which sucked but they have really streamlined it in the last 20 year lol
They sent me an email with a link to download my license. Never received one in the mail. My call sign was available within the week after testing.

J

Jshell3

@Jshell3
I found the instructions

To search for your record:

1. Go to http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls.
  2. Click the Licenses button.
  3. You will then get the search form. In the drop down box, choose to search “By Name“, then type in your last name, or your last name and first name separated by a comma. (Use your legal name as you entered it on your application.)
  4. If you get a match, you will see your name along with your callsign.
Yes, the instructors told me the FCC wouldn't be mailing me anything... B/c it was too easy to just log in and print it off.

I have bookmarked the site. THANK YOU.

HAM hobbyist are a lot like HondaSxS members... VERY NICE, VERY HELPFUL.
So guys like @Ragnar406 get a double portion! Thank you for helping me along the way. Hope to meet / talk to you soon!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, the instructors told me the FCC wouldn't be mailing me anything... B/c it was too easy to just log in and print it off.

I have bookmarked the site. THANK YOU.

HAM hobbyist are a lot like HondaSxS members... VERY NICE, VERY HELPFUL.
So guys like @Ragnar406 get a double portion! Thank you for helping me along the way. Hope to meet / talk to you soon!

I guess I can understand than since it is faster. Been awhile since I got my license lol.

Yes most hams are a helpful bunch although every now and then you get a cranky one and strangely I have found that the ones who are cranky to me in the beginning I usually end up being friends with in the long run.

advertisement
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just QRZ searched you... WOW. What do you do, run nets weekly!?!
You've got 13,000+ views.
no, no nets. I do a lot of digital mode like PSK and RTTY, you can rack up a lot of contacts doing that stuff.
Qrz.com is my favorite site, right after this one of course. A lot of buying and selling goes on there, better place than ebay.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jshell3 and AKRider
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
So since I don’t have time to go back through all 13 pages right now, but plan to later. What’s a good alternative? There is someone selling Kenwoods that are already set up for about $100, but only 1 mile range. Would like to get a radio for trail riding but sounds like my baofeng isn’t gonna work legally? This stuff is all new to me

Reactions: sharp
Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you can still use your Baofeng's and be legal. Just program in MURS frequencies and run low power. And don't buy anyone's claims to range on a handheld radio, way to many variables to take into consideration. Radios are line of sight, if your on a mountain top and your buddy is on a mountain top 10 miles away, you might just get 10 miles of range. In thick woods you might be lucky to get a 1/2 mile.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!