PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You said snarky!! Lmao..
I guess it's hard to say, "please don't come in here and lecture us like we're a bunch of kids, especially after you didn't even bother to read the thread where we spent half of it discussing these very same items that you didn't even have straight and had to edit after you went and educated yourself", without being snarky... :eek:

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Just stumbled on this thread and thought I might throw a few things out too. When I got my Technician class license I used Gordon West's study guide and liked his explanations and other insights. That can be found Amazon.com: Technician Class 2014-18 FCC Element 2 Radio License Preparation (9780945053798): Gordon West, WB6NOA, Eric P. Nichols, KL7AJ, Pete Trotter, KB9SMG, Karin Thompson, K0RTX: Books

Something I noticed about the baeofeng radios is they are a royal pain in the ass to program manually. So I would recommend getting a quality programming cable, stay away from the cheap chinese knockoffs spend the few extra dollars for the good one.Amazon.com: PC03 FTDI Authentic Genuine USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng, Kenwood, Wouxun, AnyTone: Car Electronics

You can also use Chirp software to do the programming. It is free to use as well. Home - CHIRP

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
J

JTW

I guess it's hard to say, "please don't come in here and lecture us like we're a bunch of kids, especially after you didn't even bother to read the thread where we spent half of it discussing these very same items that you didn't even have straight and had to edit after you went and educated yourself", without being snarky... :eek:
Bhahahaha... now that was snarky! Lmao!

Reactions: PioneerPete
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just stumbled on this thread and thought I might throw a few things out too. When I got my Technician class license I used Gordon West's study guide and liked his explanations and other insights. That can be found Amazon.com: Technician Class 2014-18 FCC Element 2 Radio License Preparation (9780945053798): Gordon West, WB6NOA, Eric P. Nichols, KL7AJ, Pete Trotter, KB9SMG, Karin Thompson, K0RTX: Books

Something I noticed about the baeofeng radios is they are a royal pain in the ass to program manually. So I would recommend getting a quality programming cable, stay away from the cheap chinese knockoffs spend the few extra dollars for the good one.Amazon.com: PC03 FTDI Authentic Genuine USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng, Kenwood, Wouxun, AnyTone: Car Electronics

You can also use Chirp software to do the programming. It is free to use as well. Home - CHIRP
I've actually found them just as easy to program as any other radio. CHIRP is very simple to use. As is with any software/open source/freeware, Google is your friend. Boafeng has progressed leaps and bounds with their manuals from when they first hit the market. Programming from the front panel of any radio is always a frustrating task.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

My problem is I'd rather spend more time on researching the radios than studying for the actual test.!

Shame on me.

In my defense, Boafeng makes too many versions of the same radio. And then companies knock them off.
So yeah.
Right now I've narrowed it down to 3:
  1. BF-F8HP
  2. BF-F9V2
  3. UV-82HP (this one is the most different)
They are all $60 ish. The UV-82HP accessories are a little more bc Dual PTT.

Reactions: JTW
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We've got a couple different ones and they all work flawlessly. Wattage varies and the little gt3 seems to take more abuse. But none have background noise and are very clear, we've used them even on the dirt bikes at speed.from what we've experienced I see no need to spend more at least for a handheld
I'm impressed that you're already planning the test. It's funny how things go you were just talking about cb's. This is the way to go and I've been practicing a little tonight but damn I'm not thinking I'll be as quick a study as you. Some things I pick up quickly others...

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I've actually found them just as easy to program as any other radio. CHIRP is very simple to use. As is with any software/open source/freeware, Google is your friend. Boafeng has progressed leaps and bounds with their manuals from when they first hit the market. Programming from the front panel of any radio is always a frustrating task.
;) You're probably much smarter at it that me when it comes to radios. There's something about those ones and the menu system I tend to struggle with. I've had a lot better luck with my FT-60 when I have to do it by hand. I haven't looked at their manuals lately though. I do like how cheap they are and they come with a lithium battery and base charger.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
;) You're probably much smarter at it that me when it comes to radios. There's something about those ones and the menu system I tend to struggle with. I've had a lot better luck with my FT-60 when I have to do it by hand. I haven't looked at their manuals lately though. I do like how cheap they are and they come with a lithium battery and base charger.
I've had great luck programming these but it took forever on the first with no damn instructions lol.

J

Jshell3

Obviously it must be prime time for me to start another hobby.
I've pretty much finished fixing up Blueberry.
(Last statement was not true... Two of the radios I've listed, come in the color BLUE... coincidence? I think not...)

advertisement
J

Jshell3

We've got a couple different ones and they all work flawlessly. Wattage varies and the little gt3 seems to take more abuse. But none have background noise and are very clear, we've used them even on the dirt bikes at speed.from what we've experienced I see no need to spend more at least for a handheld
I'm impressed that you're already planning the test. It's funny how things go you were just talking about cb's. This is the way to go and I've been practicing a little tonight but damn I'm not thinking I'll be as quick a study as you. Some things I pick up quickly others...
Well. I did grow up on CB radios. The men on my road coyote hunted with dogs at night... CB radios proved more than adequate for that.

But I know I'm going to the Takeover... I don't know the distance we'll be apart, but I know you all own HAM radios. And I'm not missing out ;) ! Not for a second. I may even prove to be useful.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well. I did grow up on CB radios. The men on my road coyote hunted with dogs at night... CB radios proved more than adequate for that.

But I know I'm going to the Takeover... I don't know the distance we'll be apart, but I know you all own HAM radios. And I'm not missing out ;) ! Not for a second. I may even prove to be useful.
I'm glad @Manwell started this thread and all the guys got involved especially you guys that have the knowledge that's needed here. That a very good thing I believe for the group. It's great to see everyone coming together to help others and you're one of them so thank you. Yes these will be bad ass in just a few months but it goes further then that. @AKRider really appreciate the write up and all your help prior to this when I was asking questions and btw want to thank @PioneerPete for his very "easy explanation" of a couple things and a little heat pulled off at times. Everyone else thanks it's making it easier for all of us.

Last edited:
J

JTW

My problem is I'd rather spend more time on researching the radios than studying for the actual test.!

Shame on me.

In my defense, Boafeng makes too many versions of the same radio. And then companies knock them off.
So yeah.
Right now I've narrowed it down to 3:
  1. BF-F8HP
  2. BF-F9V2
  3. UV-82HP (this one is the most different)
They are all $60 ish. The UV-82HP accessories are a little more bc Dual PTT.
I'm still leaning towards the first one.. and that's based on absolutely zero knowledge of the radio. That's purely because of the battery.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm glad @Manwell started this thread and all the guys got involved especially you guys that have the knowledge that's needed here. That a very good thing I believe for the group. It's great to see everyone coming together to help others and you're one of them so thank you. Yes these will be bad ass in just a few months but it goes further then that. @AKRider really appreciate the write up and all your help prior to this when I was asking questions and btw want to thank @PioneerPete for his very "easy explanation" of a couple things and a little heat pulled off at times. Everyone else thanks it's making it easier for all of us.
Of course one never knows where a thread may go, but I'm beyond pleased with this one! Lot of people learning and helping each other, openly sharing knowledge - YES! I'm going to jump in and get my license as well, just life is to busy to do it right this moment in time. Over the next few months things will settle down and I should have the time for extra stuff! I will be coming back to this thread and reviewing / learning!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have he gt3 radios and tried for several hours to get the computer programming to work (I have a mac) I finally gave up. I got chirp to recogniE the radio finally, but the gt3 radio isn't listed in the drop down so I never could get it to actually download the frequencies. Finally gave up and @PioneerPete helped to manually program it. Once I figured it out it was no big deal. Wish I could name the channels but you can't do that manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Figured I would share this publicly. I found it online and saved it to my phone as a favorite so if I need to find a frequency or know what one is I can. If it's useful feel free to save and share.

E1eef82410cfa284d40c04cfcacdcf94

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Figured I would share this publicly. I found it online and saved it to my phone as a favorite so if I need to find a frequency or know what one is I can. If it's useful feel free to save and share.

View attachment 27628

The pic is blurry

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can try to email it or I will find it again and post a link to the actual website. It's clear on my phone.

advertisement