Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What about regular CB radios? I read @AKRider 's post about HAM (Thank you so much for that, btw. That was a lot to read and I read it all. I KNOW that took a while to write up!)
AKRider covers all the basics, but when he gets to the CB, there's not much comment (leaves it open)...

The type of riding we do, reminds me of rabbit hunting/deer hunting w dogs. CB radios are all we ever used. They talk a LONG ways. And they make hand helds for CB, too. We could all just use our Club name as handles.

The other radios were 5 watt, but needed a license. CB's are 4 watt, and do not require license.

What am I missing?
What's the advantage using the other frequencies?... (I mean besides repeaters and talking all over the world.).

I am going to geek out a sec here.

CB radios operate on what is called the 11 meter band ( meaning the wave length) the lower the number the more dependent it is on line of sight. The CB frequency transmissions can be affected by atmospheric conditions (as all can to different degrees) - best example I can say is think how when you have ever listened to AM radio that at dusk you can start losing stations you were hearing fine during the day and hearing stations that you could not hear at night.

So while with VHF (2 meter) radios you might not be able to talk if a hill in in between you but you can talk if say one is on top of the hill the reverse has the potential to be true with CB - you may be able to speak when separated by a hill but when in line of sight or one being on a hill you may not be able to talk....

As with anything there is a compromise that is required depending on which freq you choose to use. If that was not confusing I can also toss in that tinkering with Antenna's (length, angle) can also help or hinder on any frequency.

When it comes to any radio - Antenna and Power affect potential the most.
The more power = the more ability to overcome obstacles and conditions
Antenna = the closer to wavelength (CD antenna 11 meters tall, 2 meter antenna 2 meter tall) or a derivative of the more optimal the transmission.​
Ham radio allows you to have more options is all

Don't forget if you have a big group you have a better chance that someone will hear the transmission and can relay information no matter what you are using

J

Jshell3

The CB frequency transmissions can be affected by atmospheric conditions (as all can to different degrees) - best example...AM radio.
VHF (2 meter) radios you might not be able to talk if a hill...CB -may be.
When it comes to any radio - Antenna and Power affect potential the most.
The more power = the more ability to overcome obstacles and conditions
Antenna = the closer to wavelength (CD antenna 11 meters tall, 2 meter antenna 2 meter tall) or a derivative of the more optimal the transmission.
Ham radio allows you to have more options is all

Thank you for ALL that. That's why I asked. I honestly didn't know.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
there is a 2 meter repeater in Westview that covers the Rough River Lake area and 440 (23cm) in Hardinsburg that is part of linked system that looks like it covers a wide area. The Baofeng or a Yaesu FT60R for $140 would cover both bands if you want a handheld radio. A mobile rig with 50 to 70 watts of power is pretty common and will obviously reach out much better.
RepeaterBook.com: Quick Search
One correction. 440 is 70cm

Reactions: Jshell3
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I did not read this entire thread but something that those using these radios need to be aware of. If you are not in the public bands (FMRS etc) you may be in the Ham or public safety bands and other such as railroad. FCC is not going to take kindly to pirates in those areas not to mention interfering with police and fire. And while you think that your 2 to 3 mile radio transmission may not hurt anyone, it just might. So, consider staying in the bands set aside for public radio and to the power that is legal. Thanks from those of us in LE and Ham.

Just an example, if you are on a freq that is the input to a police or fire channel/repeater you will not hear the other side of the police/fire transmissions but you will be going in to their repeater and interfering with their communications. It is called duplex. One freq uplink and a different freq downlink.

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I did not read this entire thread but something that those using these radios need to be aware of. If you are not in the public bands (FMRS etc) you may be in the Ham or public safety bands and other such as railroad. FCC is not going to take kindly to pirates in those areas not to mention interfering with police and fire. And while you think that your 2 to 3 mile radio transmission may not hurt anyone, it just might. So, consider staying in the bands set aside for public radio and to the power that is legal. Thanks from those of us in LE and Ham.

Just an example, if you are on a freq that is the input to a police or fire channel/repeater you will not hear the other side of the police/fire transmissions but you will be going in to their repeater and interfering with their communications. It is called duplex. One freq uplink and a different freq downlink.

People were actually talking about using MURS and then the benefits of getting HAM licenses.

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Most police/fire have moved to 800 MHZ but there are still some using the old bands.

Also, Hams do not take kindly to non-licensed users and do conduct "Fox Hunts" to track down those abusers and report them to the FCC.

If you are legal, you have no worries but if not, well.
Looks like you are ok with MURS and those freqs.I think it is GMRS that requires a license now that I think about it. MURS is low power. GMRS is 5 watts.

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)

Last edited:
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Most police/fire have moved to 800 MHZ but there are still some using the old bands.

Also, Hams do not take kindly to non-licensed users and do conduct "Fox Hunts" to track down those abusers and report them to the FCC.

If you are legal, you have no worries but if not, well.
Looks like you are ok with MURS and those freqs.I think it is GMRS that requires a license now that I think about it. MURS is low power. GMRS is 5 watts.

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)
General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS)
I'm sure you're trying to be helpful, but it seems someone should point out that this has all been said in multiple places through the thread.

advertisement
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, well, well... guess what fellas. Ol' Jshell3 signed up to take his HAM Technician and General test THIS SUNDAY!!!

Pretty soon, I'll have me a call sign. You'll then have to refer to me as Mr. Jshell3

:)
I'm fairly positive you won't be assigned that call sign. Just sayin...

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Speaking of getting your license. I just had a short communication on VHF with a local kid that just tested for his license on Saturday. I saw him in a study class that I went to with my wife for moral support. I'd say he's probably about 13, maybe 14. This was his first time on the radio. It was really cool chatting with him and knowing that the hobby is alive and well in the world of cell phones.

J

Jshell3

I'm fairly positive you won't be assigned that call sign. Just sayin...
Ha!
Thank you for all the write ups. I signed up (and paid $50) for the link provided to the online study. I've spent about 3 solid hours on it this afternoon. I'm 45% finished w technician scoring about 90%.

I wouldn't say I couldn't fail. It's not all THAT simple.
But I'm a pretty good study.

I hope to knock them both out Sunday, but if I only score the tech, I'll be pretty pumped. And that's enough to accomplish the Ride Royal Blue... and get me pointed in a direction to spend more money on a new hobby. Ha!

Seriously thank you for contributing @AKRider ... I read what you wrote and got motivated. Now you go get the Extra! Teacher.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ha!
Thank you for all the write ups. I signed up (and paid $50) for the link provided to the online study. I've spent about 3 solid hours on it this afternoon. I'm 45% finished w technician scoring about 90%.

I wouldn't say I couldn't fail. It's not all THAT simple.
But I'm a pretty good study.

I hope to knock them both out Sunday, but if I only score the tech, I'll be pretty pumped. And that's enough to accomplish the Ride Royal Blue... and get me pointed in a direction to spend more money on a new hobby. Ha!

Seriously thank you for contributing @AKRider ... I read what you wrote and got motivated. Now you go get the Extra! Teacher.
I'm glad to help and happy you caught the bug.

advertisement