AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sitting here playing with a HT connected to a 40W amp, that is running off of a DC power supply. The amp is connected to a Slim Jim J-Pole that I have mounted to my back deck with zip ties... lol. That's the versatility of these radios.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll have to say that this put a little extra push towards me as well. I'm happy enough with how we were communication prior but I do like to understand things and what the hell. I'm pretty excited. I've downloaded the app for the phone and will be dinking with that for a bit and gaining as much information as I can. I'm not setting a time yet as my wife really wants in but we're coming.
And btw AK nice job on the write ups you've always had a knack for that and you didn't do any harm to anything you actually helped. I know this really isn't about a Pioneer but communications is a help with the overall picture. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll have to say that this put a little extra push towards me as well. I'm happy enough with how we were communication prior but I do like to understand things and what the hell. I'm pretty excited. I've downloaded the app for the phone and will be dinking with that for a bit and gaining as much information as I can. I'm not setting a time yet as my wife really wants in but we're coming.
And btw AK nice job on the write ups you've always had a knack for that and you didn't do any harm to anything you actually helped. I know this really isn't about a Pioneer but communications is a help with the overall picture. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coming from you that really means a lot to me. You have single-handedly inspired hundreds of people here to think, create, and build. Thank you!

J

Jshell3

Well. $15 for the test. (Both, actually, if I pass the first) you can't beat it. And it's good for 10 years!!!

Treat it like a hunter's education course.
I can only help.

Knowledge is something no one can take from you.

It's fun to cover this stuff. I'm learning about resistors, watts, amps, power, soldier, frequencies, wavelengths, bandwidths, antenna types, coaxial, callsigns, megahertz, formulas, multimeter settings, repeaters, simplex, duplex, grounds, satellites, rules, regulations, and emergency conduct!

Plus did you know the 4th week of June is like crazy contests for HAM operators and stuff!?!

This all happens in plain sight, but we don't see because we aren't "tuned in".

Pun intended.

Last edited by a moderator:
advertisement
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
"I'm sure you're trying to be helpful, but it seems someone should point out that this has all been said in multiple places through the thread"

Yes I was trying to be helpful and if you will notice, in my post, I said that I had not read through the entire thread before posting that (all 9 pages). One might guess from that that I was trying to say that I might, in-fact, be repeating something that was already said.

So, I am sure you were trying to be helpful but that really was not and is a little snarky.

And, so what if was a repeat. It would not be the first time in the thread that something was repeated, for the umteenth time.

J

JTW

"I'm sure you're trying to be helpful, but it seems someone should point out that this has all been said in multiple places through the thread"

Yes I was trying to be helpful and if you will notice, in my post, I said that I had not read through the entire thread before posting that (all 9 pages). One might guess from that that I was trying to say that I might, in-fact, be repeating something that was already said.

So, I am sure you were trying to be helpful but that really was not and is a little snarky.

And, so what if was a repeat. It would not be the first time in the thread that something was repeated, for the umteenth time.
You said snarky!! Lmao..

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, well, well... guess what fellas. Ol' Jshell3 signed up to take his HAM Technician and General test THIS SUNDAY!!!

Pretty soon, I'll have me a call sign. You'll then have to refer to me as Mr. Jshell3

:)
You'll be known as "old man" Jshell3 !
In case you didn't know all ham operators call each other old man or OM for short, the first time I heard that I was like who are you calling old man ! then I learned the lingo. Good luck and hopefully we can welcome you to the hobby !
And if you pass the general don't be afraid to try for extra too, I have a friend who got all 3 on the first try and all for $15.
Bart
N1UB

Last edited:
J

Jshell3

You'll be known as "old man" Jshell3 !
In case you didn't know all ham operators call each other old man or OM for short, the first time I heard that I was like who are you calling old man ! then I learned the lingo. Good luck and hopefully we can welcome you to the hobby !
And if you pass the general don't be afraid to try for extra too, I have a friend who got all 3 on the first try and all for $15.
Bart
N1UB
Y'all keep sayin Technician is easy... can't miss. And I can't say I agree with that. It's not common sense questions... you really have to know this stuff. I took a practice test today. Failed it by question 20.

Yikes.
I test Sunday. No way I seen getting them both.

We'll see.
Thanks for the encouragement!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Y'all keep sayin Technician is easy... can't miss. And I can't say I agree with that. It's not common sense questions... you really have to know this stuff. I took a practice test today. Failed it by question 20.

Yikes.
I test Sunday. No way I seen getting them both.

We'll see.
Thanks for the encouragement!

You can do it! I can't remember if you told what study source you are using. I like this one...

HamTestOnline™

If you are using it, don't take the practice tests until you are very close or done 100% with the study portion.

Bartman

Bartman

Jun 24, 2016
Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can do it! I can't remember if you told what study source you are using. I like this one...

HamTestOnline™

If you are using it, don't take the practice tests until you are very close or done 100% with the study portion.
I agree with the study portion, then hammer those practice test, I even found a smartphone app with practice test I used during my lunch break and other down times when away from the computer when I was studying. When you pass the technician test, you'll find many of the questions on the general overlap and same with the extra.

J

JTW

"You said snarky!! Lmao.."

Definition of snarky
  1. 1 : crotchety, snappish
Oh I know what it means... it's just funny you said it! But there's no reason to get all snarky & crotchety about it! Ya dang ole whipper snappers... Lmao!!

IMG 1506

Reactions: Ragnar406
advertisement