P1000 Radio Communication

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
My problem is I'd rather spend more time on researching the radios than studying for the actual test.!

Shame on me.

In my defense, Boafeng makes too many versions of the same radio. And then companies knock them off.
So yeah.
Right now I've narrowed it down to 3:
  1. BF-F8HP
  2. BF-F9V2
  3. UV-82HP (this one is the most different)
They are all $60 ish. The UV-82HP accessories are a little more bc Dual PTT.
I have the UV-82. I like the radios but so far the dual PTT has given us problem. Maybe we're just not used to it or dont know how to them properly but if you press the wrong button you transmit on a channel that was not your intension.

We got DPP feature because we can chat on one channel and monitor (and if required transmit) on the forestry channels.
The forestry truckers use a commercial channel to clear the road below them before they come screaming down the goat trail so we monitor that and could transmit in an emergency. But the second DPP is the public channel we use to keep in touch on the trail / in the bush.

I think I will come to appreciate that feature - but still learning which button to use.

FU2MF (its mine @AKRider)

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For all those that are looking at buying Baofeng, use their site to do your research on their radios, then select to purchase from them. They use Amazon as their storefront, so you will still get Amazon pricing.

The reason I say this is because they will not support or warranty anything that is not sold by them. You must have a receipt that says "Sold by BaoFeng Tech" in order to receive support and warranty service. Your Amazon receipt will say this.

Here's their site...

BaoFeng Radio - BaoFeng Tech

J

Jshell3

I have the UV-82. I like the radios but so far the dual PTT has given us problem. Maybe we're just not used to it or dont know how to them properly but if you press the wrong button you transmit on a channel that was not your intension.

We got DPP feature because we can chat on one channel and monitor (and if required transmit) on the forestry channels.
The forestry truckers use a commercial channel to clear the road below them before they come screaming down the goat trail so we monitor that and could transmit in an emergency. But the second DPP is the public channel we use to keep in touch on the trail / in the bush.

I think I will come to appreciate that feature - but still learning which button to use.

FU2MF (its mine @AKRider)
I bought the UV-82HP like 2 hours before I read this. Ha! (So I guess I have good taste?)
Mainly because it was 8 watts and offered in BLUE. Seems to be a little bigger in the hand as well. (Which is good). The dual PPT can be converted to a single by software, from what I've read.

Thanks for letting me know!

CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
I have he gt3 radios and tried for several hours to get the computer programming to work (I have a mac) I finally gave up. I got chirp to recogniE the radio finally, but the gt3 radio isn't listed in the drop down so I never could get it to actually download the frequencies. Finally gave up and @PioneerPete helped to manually program it. Once I figured it out it was no big deal. Wish I could name the channels but you can't do that manually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I had trouble with my mac programming too at first. I switched cables and got the one with the FTDI chip and it seemed to make things work just fine with the mac's. I believe you can do that radio by selecting a different radio in the menu. Here was a thread I came across when I was looking. Trying to program a Baofeng GT-3 MarkII with Chirp; radio won't communicate

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
"I guess it's hard to say, "please don't come in here and lecture us like we're a bunch of kids, especially after you didn't even bother to read the thread where we spent half of it discussing these very same items that you didn't even have straight and had to edit after you went and educated yourself", without being snarky... :eek:"

Sorry you feel that way. I did think that I was being helpful and after reading about 6 pages of 9 added a little to it. I did not think it was a lecture as much as adding to the thread but then there is always a bully in the bunch who has one too many beers and jumps on and flames what otherwise was an innocent post. Take it for what it was, information and not a "lecture".

And since you say this was already discussed and it may have been but I didn't find it perhaps you can quote the posts that discuss what I covered. If it is there I am truly sorry for covering it again and promise that I will read the next on more carefully.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
"I guess it's hard to say, "please don't come in here and lecture us like we're a bunch of kids, especially after you didn't even bother to read the thread where we spent half of it discussing these very same items that you didn't even have straight and had to edit after you went and educated yourself", without being snarky... :eek:"

Sorry you feel that way. I did think that I was being helpful and after reading about 6 pages of 9 added a little to it. I did not think it was a lecture as much as adding to the thread but then there is always a bully in the bunch who has one too many beers and jumps on and flames what otherwise was an innocent post. Take it for what it was, information and not a "lecture".

And since you say this was already discussed and it may have been but I didn't find it perhaps you can quote the posts that discuss what I covered. If it is there I am truly sorry for covering it again and promise that I will read the next on more carefully.
No worries Lynn. Sometimes its difficult to gage the tone of a comment. The legalities and risks of these radios was discussed beginning around page 3. There's a few pages on it.
We want everyone to feel welcome here and comment all you want. Just keep in mind that raising questions regarding legalities of members activities in a public forum should be approached carefully.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and JTW
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
OK. Thanks. I didn't intend to question anyone's actions as much as to point out that sometimes innocent actions have unintended consequences and as a 35 year LEO, more than once someone playing on the radio interfered with ongoing police activities. Those days are pretty much gone with 800 Mhz but there are still some smaller communities in rural areas that operate in the VHF bands where these over the counter radios operate. That really was my only reason for mentioning it. I had no intention of offending anyone.

Reactions: JTW and PioneerPete
cschomber63

cschomber63

Nov 14, 2016
Beloit
OK. Thanks. I didn't intend to question anyone's actions as much as to point out that sometimes innocent actions have unintended consequences and as a 35 year LEO, more than once someone playing on the radio interfered with ongoing police activities. Those days are pretty much gone with 800 Mhz but there are still some smaller communities in rural areas that operate in the VHF bands where these over the counter radios operate. That really was my only reason for mentioning it. I had no intention of offending anyone.

Well guys I'm using carrier pigeons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
understand. it's a valid concern. earlier in the thread we discussed the need to stay on MURS at 2W transmit. I believe the top two frequencies are good for wide band.
There seems to be a lot of enthusiasm to get HAM licenses too. I plan to get mine, and it sounds like many other members already have or are somewhere in the process.

advertisement
J

Jshell3

IMG 3103

IMG 3102

Also the one I ordered. So that's good.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

Congratulations!

Was it what you expected? Easier or harder?
Honestly, it was harder material (to learn) than I thought. I figured it would be a lot of common sense (safety)questions, like hunters education... but it was very technical stuff.
Guys that say it's easy, must have a background in electric circuitry. Or similar.

Then there are the acronyms. Oh man... everything is ITU, FCC, SBB, SWR, RACES, ARES, UHF, PSK31, and about 20 others...
So for someone to just "show up and take the test on my whim"... it's not going to go well.

HOWEVER, with that being said. I missed 1 out of 35.
Mostly because the study guides lend themselves well to memorization.
WHAT YOU SEE ON PRACTICE TESTS ARE WORDED EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE REAL TEST. Multiple choices, and all...!
THE test pool of questions are public knowledge, so these app makers and study guides ARE the test questions.

So you can actually pass the test, and never really learn the subject matter.

I studied a solid 10 hours according to HamTestOnline and that's a pretty good resource for the test. Tho overly expensive @ $25 per test level.

I've found several App Store apps that for a buck or 2 can give you endless hours of practice questions. Tho, maybe not as much explanation.

Anyone can pass. Just don't expect bluff your way through it. You'll HAVE to study, if just to learn the acronyms, alone.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jshell3

I expected to be the only person testing today.

There were 8 show up.

Of the 8, 7 of us passed.

So the odds are certainly in your favor, if you familiarize yourself with the test materials ahead of time.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, it was harder material (to learn) than I thought. I figured it would be a lot of common sense (safety)questions, like hunters education... but it was very technical stuff.
Guys that say it's easy, must have a background in electric circuitry. Or similar.

Then there are the acronyms. Oh man... everything is ITU, FCC, SBB, SWR, RACES, ARES, UHF, PSK31, and about 20 others...
So for someone to just "show up and take the test on my whim"... it's not going to go well.

HOWEVER, with that being said. I missed 1 out of 35.
Mostly because the study guides lend themselves well to memorization.
WHAT YOU SEE ON PRACTICE TESTS ARE WORDED EXACTLY THE SAME ON THE REAL TEST. Multiple choices, and all...!
THE test pool of questions are public knowledge, so these app makers and study guides ARE the test questions.

So you can actually pass the test, and never really learn the subject matter.

I studied a solid 10 hours according to HamTestOnline and that's a pretty good resource for the test. Tho overly expensive @ $25 per test level.

I've found several App Store apps that for a buck or 2 can give you endless hours of practice questions. Tho, maybe not as much explanation.

Anyone can pass. Just don't expect bluff your way through it. You'll HAVE to study, if just to learn the acronyms, alone.
The thing I like about Hamtestonline is that it's intuitive. It keeps hitting you with the areas you are weak on. I haven't tried any of the apps.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!