Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so... moving on a bit... I have programmed in all of the FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies into my Baofung. I used the Motorola channel numbering for FRS (1-14) and GMRS (15-22). These are the channel numbers that the type-accepted walkie talkies use (the ones you buy at Walmart). I then programmed in the MURS frequencies starting at channel 31... so now I just set the radio to channel mode and set it to scan, then sit here and listen to whatever traffic is in my area... am I the only one doing this??? please tell me my wife isn't correct... she says I've lost it... sitting here listening to the scanner like her crazy old uncle...lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
so... moving on a bit... I have programmed in all of the FRS, GMRS, and MURS frequencies into my Baofung. I used the Motorola channel numbering for FRS (1-14) and GMRS (15-22). These are the channel numbers that the type-accepted walkie talkies use (the ones you buy at Walmart). I then programmed in the MURS frequencies starting at channel 31... so now I just set the radio to channel mode and set it to scan, then sit here and listen to whatever traffic is in my area... am I the only one doing this??? please tell me my wife isn't correct... she says I've lost it... sitting here listening to the scanner like her crazy old uncle...lol

Sigh... I've done the same thing in the past... lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You can also set it for the local HAM repeaters and listen to the traffic there. You can LISTEN to anything you want that's on the open frequencies, as long as your radio has the capability. Now, back to editing my post.

If you need help with that, let me know.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can also set it for the local HAM repeaters and listen to the traffic there. You can LISTEN to anything you want that's on the open frequencies, as long as your radio has the capability. Now, back to editing my post.

If you need help with that, let me know.
awesome! I'll research that a bit and see what I can do. I'm sure I'll need help at some point, but I'll let you lay the foundation for us all first.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sound slike her crazy ole uncle might just fit right in with this group! I need to bone up a bit, I'd like to do the same thing just to understand the activity level!

Reactions: PioneerPete
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

That's funny as hell! I might just get bored soon enough myself.

advertisement
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am game for a net sometime, at least a time we can try and connect on the air. Not sure how many Hams we have on here. One other note is if you do have the means to transmit and you are in an emergency situation it is permitable to transmit on bands you are not licensed for. Example is a medical emergency etc. 146.52 is the nation calling simplex frequency and is supposed to be monitored on the top of the hour - if you are in range usually some one is scanning it.

Granted I have not had my pioneer for a week yet but I made sure to take my handheld with me both times out so far. Along with a antenna I can string up in a tree for a little more coverage if needed.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am game for a net sometime, at least a time we can try and connect on the air. Not sure how many Hams we have on here. One other note is if you do have the means to transmit and you are in an emergency situation it is permitable to transmit on bands you are not licensed for. Example is a medical emergency etc. 146.52 is the nation calling simplex frequency and is supposed to be monitored on the top of the hour - if you are in range usually some one is scanning it.

Granted I have not had my pioneer for a week yet but I made sure to take my handheld with me both times out so far. Along with a antenna I can string up in a tree for a little more coverage if needed.

Slim Jim? I carry the same thing. This one from N9TAX

Amateur radio antennas

Reactions: PioneerPete and JTW
Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Man I'm happy you live close to help me through all of this. My mind is swimming now just from reading this thread. :rolleyes:

J

JTW

Nope.. my dad policed for 35 years. We still have one in the garage that stays on. Like everything else... it's not as amusing as it once was with everyone so PC and hypersensitivity. I remember as a kid some of the old bunch telling jokes over the raidio and playing music, cutting up with dispatch. Now it strictly business... and although that's fine and amusing in its own right.. some things are just better left to the old way!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Slim Jim? I carry the same thing. This one from N9TAX

Amateur radio antennas
Yep I have one just like. I take it, extra battery and HT with me when I travel and pre program in local freq. starting to pull kit together for taking on the pioneer. I have not considered installing a mobile but I do have an old 2m that I could install

Reactions: AKRider
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Quick question about the emergency channel do they use repeaters throughout the country

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man I'm happy you live close to help me through all of this. My mind is swimming now just from reading this thread. :rolleyes:

No problem at all. There is a good club here locally as well and testing is done once a month - I think at the Rogers library. Lots of good repeaters around our area as well.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Quick question about the emergency channel do they use repeaters throughout the country

If you are referring to the 146.52 - no it is simplex only but all the Hams I know have that freq preprogrammed in their list of channels they scan.

advertisement