AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey @CumminsPusher, which mobile radio are you using? I am pretty sure you said it's a Baofeng. I can't find one of their mobile (vehicle mount) radios where the user's manual explicitly states that it is illegal for use on FRS, GMRS, and MURS... like all the hand held units I've looked through so far.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The same one as glock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll look at exact model in a second. It's not on watch list anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
For the most part.
We want to know the following.
- best radio for the buck.
--- Non certified and certified if there is a fairly large price difference.
- channels I should use
--- legally with HAM licenss.
--- legally without HAM.
--- and best channels I should use... irrelevant to the above.

Let users decide what they want to do in regards to license.

Thanks.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have researched this issue off an on for weeks, and to the best of my knowledge, everything @AKRider has said is true. Below are a few other observations from my research, and my conclusions.

These radios can not meet the requirements of FRS. The transmit limit is 0.5W for FRS, and our radios will only go as low as 1W. No biggie, we don't want to use those UHF frequencies anyway... might as well use hand signals at that range.

GMRS requires a license and a compliant radio. We have neither. Again UHF, we don't want these either.

The frequencies CP has recommended are indeed MURS frequencies. These VHF frequencies tend to transmit further than the higher UHF. The only thing (I could find) keeping the Baofungs from being MURS compliant is the 2W transmit limit. Keep it under 2W and you would most likely meet the "intent" of the law to operate these radios on MURS. It won't have the FCC type-acceptance sticker for MURS (because it's too versatile), but should operate like a radio that does if you limit to 2W transmit;

Based on the above (and other observations from my research), my 2 cents worth... If you have the time and energy, go get your Ham license. It will probably open up a cool new world. If you just want a way to communicate with your buddies when you ride in desolate uninhabited places, then use this these radios on the MURS channels. If you want to try to meet the intent of the regulation, limit your MURS transmit to 2W. No one else on the MURS channels has any more (or less) right to those channels than you do (they don't have a special license, just a compliant radio). If someone rogers over saying you are interfering with their gig, then change the channel.

The worst case scenario is that your radio is defective and is sending spurious signals to previously allocated frequencies. This would most likely be a quality control issue and not normal for these radios. And, if you were only transmitting at 2W, the odds of interfering with anything important while you transmit from BFE are practically zero. Additionally, this could happen to you with any radio you buy, therefore having a Ham license or a compliant radio would not protect you from this scenario. So, to me, the spurious transmission issue is 6 in 1, half a dozen in the other. It could happen to you whether you had a compliant radio and/or were licensed. Again, keep it to 2W transmit on MURS and you are more likely to get struck by lightning than cause harm.

I spent the better part of an hour researching FCC enforcement actions, and not a single one was related to some bubba in the woods occasionally operating on MURS. In fact, they were mostly against folks who already had a license, or were operating illegally in the HF range (closer to Citizens Band). They are sensitive to unlicensed transmissions in the HF range because it can reach much further distances and cause real issues.

If you want to be legal and if you have the time and energy, go get your Ham license. If you just want to communicate with your ride buddies out in the middle of no where... I'm thinking the odds of causing any harm with these radios operating on MURS is about as likely as being struck by lightning while your there, so...

It is good that AKRider has offered up a summary of the law. We should advocate for having all the information and then making an informed adult decision. This forum is a great place to see this happen all the time.

Carry on... roger over done.

advertisement
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have researched this issue off an on for weeks, and to the best of my knowledge, everything @AKRider has said is true. Below are a few other observations from my research, and my conclusions.

These radios can not meet the requirements of FRS. The transmit limit is 0.5W for FRS, and our radios will only go as low as 1W. No biggie, we don't want to use those UHF frequencies anyway... might as well use hand signals at that range.

GMRS requires a license and a compliant radio. We have neither. Again UHF, we don't want these either.

The frequencies CP has recommended are indeed MURS frequencies. These VHF frequencies tend to transmit further than the higher UHF. The only thing (I could find) keeping the Baofungs from being MURS compliant is the 2W transmit limit. Keep it under 2W and you would most likely meet the "intent" of the law to operate these radios on MURS. It won't have the FCC type-acceptance sticker for MURS (because it's too versatile), but should operate like a radio that does if you limit to 2W transmit;

Based on the above (and other observations from my research), my 2 cents worth... If you have the time and energy, go get your Ham license. It will probably open up a cool new world. If you just want a way to communicate with your buddies when you ride in desolate uninhabited places, then use this these radios on the MURS channels. If you want to try to meet the intent of the regulation, limit your MURS transmit to 2W. No one else on the MURS channels has any more (or less) right to those channels than you do (they don't have a special license, just a compliant radio). If someone rogers over saying you are interfering with their gig, then change the channel.

The worst case scenario is that your radio is defective and is sending spurious signals to previously allocated frequencies. This would most likely be a quality control issue and not normal for these radios. And, if you were only transmitting at 2W, the odds of interfering with anything important while you transmit from BFE are practically zero. Additionally, this could happen to you with any radio you buy, therefore having a Ham license or a compliant radio would not protect you from this scenario. So, to me, the spurious transmission issue is 6 in 1, half a dozen in the other. It could happen to you whether you had a compliant radio and/or were licensed. Again, keep it to 2W transmit on MURS and you are more likely to get struck by lightning than cause harm.

I spent the better part of an hour researching FCC enforcement actions, and not a single one was related to some bubba in the woods occasionally operating on MURS. In fact, they were mostly against folks who already had a license, or were operating illegally in the HF range (closer to Citizens Band). They are sensitive to unlicensed transmissions in the HF range because it can reach much further distances and cause real issues.

If you want to be legal and if you have the time and energy, go get your Ham license. It will probably open up a cool new world. If you just want to communicate with your ride buddies out in the middle of no where... I'm thinking the odds of causing any harm with these radios operating on MURS is about as likely as being struck by lightning while your there, so...

It is good that AKRider has offered up a summary of the law. We should advocate for having all the information and then making an informed adult decision. This forum is a great place to see this happen all the time.

Way to go Petey.... thanks..

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For the most part.
We want to know the following.
- best radio for the buck.
--- Non certified and certified if there is a fairly large price difference.
- channels I should use
--- legally with HAM licenss.
--- legally without HAM.
--- and best channels I should use... irrelevant to the above.

Let users decide what they want to do in regards to license.

Thanks.

Maybe how to get the basic license too.. Wouldn't that be relevant?

These are great idea's. I will definitely cover them.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

If you want to be legal and if you have the time and energy, go get your Ham license. If you just want to communicate with your ride buddies out in the middle of no where... I'm thinking the odds of causing any harm with these radios operating on MURS is about as likely as being struck by lightning while your there, so...

Excellent summary, and I wholeheartedly agree. I just wanted everyone to understand where they were as far as legalities. I have experimented with these radio's for their functionality with FRS and GMRS radios for the purpose of true emergency use. They are definitely versatile and will handle all the functions, to include PL, CTCSS, and DCS codes.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Excellent summary, and I wholeheartedly agree. I just wanted everyone to understand where they were as far as legalities. I have experimented with these radio's for their functionality with FRS and GMRS radios for the purpose of true emergency use. They are definitely versatile and will handle all the functions, to include PL, CTCSS, and DCS codes.
Thanks for the concurrence.
I would definitely like to get my license and learn to use repeaters and codes and sech... careful now AKRider, you may become the official HondaSxS Elmer for all of us unlearned folks!lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the concurrence.
I would definitely like to get my license and learn to use repeaters and codes and sech... careful now AKRider, you may become the official HondaSxS Elmer for all of us unlearned folks!lol

God help me... lol. It's a good thing I know people to bounce things off of!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!