Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm attempting to do that right now. I can also do another thread on the benefits of becoming a HAM, and tailor it for how it would benefit this community.

I'd do another thread on "benefits of becoming a HAM"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Ragnar406
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
As is with all government regulation BS, if you ask 10 people to read and interpret it, you'll get 10 different interpretations.

Reactions: JTW and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lmao.. I'm not trying to argue with anyone on this... and I appreciate your and CP's accurate info.. I just don't want to see folk like me that are buying, spend more money than they should or buy a product that won't preform (and possibly get them hurt or in a bad situation) because they were trying to be too technical on the issue.

And I'm agreeing with you @JTW. But for sake of this forum let's get all the information out and be legal here. There is already useful information above if you read between the lines but let's at least be conscious of all of it. Let's just get the technicalities out of the way

Reactions: JTW and AKRider
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not trying to change the subject, but did y'all see that guy in Wisconsin that shot that 8 point DOE. It was 222lb and it was a transgender. No kidding. I wonder what radio he had if he even had one.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's my understanding as well. Like expressed earlier those channels are not ham regulated and with the correct radio there is no problem at all. A license would allow everything to open up much better.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's my understanding as well. Like expressed earlier those channels are not ham regulated and with the correct radio there is no problem at all. A license would allow everything to open up much better.

I'm currently trying to find economically priced radio's that operate within the MURS frequencies and are legal to use on those frequencies. I can honestly say I'm not having a lot of luck, but I'm still looking. This way a license wouldn't be required. The drawback is that they would be limited to 2W transmit power. A HAM license would definitely open up possibilities... power, frequencies, portable repeaters, etc.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My wife's uncle is big into these ham radios...I'll have him look at mine.. then go from there on getting a license and relay any info

Can I ask which radio you are using?

Reactions: sharp
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So... is the answer to most of our problems to get a HAM license? If so I would be more than willing to get one. My understanding is its not hard to do so.

It is not hard to take the test and get your Amateur Radio License. Granted I took my tech test back in 1992 and I hear they have made the questions easier. My wife studies for one night and passed first time. Basically in the entry license you are learning basic rules and procedures as well as a little electronics. you can go to Hamtest online and sign up there or there are other places on the net for free material.

The downside is you now have another hobby that will take you as far as your wallet will allow if you get into it. lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It is not hard to take the test and get your Amateur Radio License. Granted I took my tech test back in 1992 and I hear they have made the questions easier. My wife studies for one night and passed first time. Basically in the entry license you are learning basic rules and procedures as well as a little electronics. you can go to Hamtest online and sign up there or there are other places on the net for free material.

The downside is you now have another hobby that will take you as far as your wallet will allow if you get into it. lol

Exactly... lol. They did take CW off the test, so no more morse code.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Interesting. Baofeng doesn't have a user's manual listed for that radio on their website. The do show it as a discontinued model, though.
That's funny..here I thought I bought the latest version :rolleyes:

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!