Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I normally don't play by all the rules but for this one have been trying. I wish hams would open up a bit more to allow those of us that are trying in on everything. I've scoured the internet countless hours just to find appropriate channels. If you're on appropriate channels is that still considered bad to use a radio that doesn't comply but doesn't make other interferences and at the 2 watts?

J

JTW

But of all things to play by the rules on.. why this? I mean if you're using an emergency frequency I can see the issue. But otherwise there's no way for anyone to "get you". This is exactly like pulling the tag off a mattress!

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Who actually cares??? I'll take my chances! They have no way of knowing who is actually using what.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I'm just giving you the information to work with. As for your statement, if you think they have know way of knowing or finding you if they decide you are doing something wrong... well... good luck with that.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
But of all things to play by the rules on.. why this? I mean if you're using an emergency frequency I can see the issue. But otherwise there's no way for anyone to "get you".
Since we're on a public forum let's try to keep this legal. Let's find compliant radios and get all of the information we can here. Then people can choose.

J

JTW

I can tell you for certain that if you're using a channel you're not supposed to.. A dispatcher somewhere will fuss at you and tell you to switch bands. That's it!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes here. I'm just giving you the information to work with. As for your statement, if you think they have know way of knowing or finding you if they decide you are doing something wrong... well... good luck with that.
Again it's appreciated. Let's find all the "appropriate "radios and go from there.

J

JTW

Oh I know.. I just don't think it actually matters to ANYONE.. I'm not saying that in a negative way towards you.. but there is no big brother out there that will be after you or I for using a cb incorrectly every once in a blue moon.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Oh I know.. I just don't think it matters to ANYONE!

Some it doesn't matter too but some it definitely does. Looking for part 95. For now let's keep radios on listen only till compliant radio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I normally don't play by all the rules but for this one have been trying. I wish hams would open up a bit more to allow those of us that are trying in on everything. I've scoured the internet countless hours just to find appropriate channels. If you're on appropriate channels is that still considered bad to use a radio that doesn't comply but doesn't make other interferences and at the 2 watts?

I am opening up. I just haven't been completely following all the talk about radios. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the really cool stuff on here. The frequencies you are using are not HAM freqs, therefore there probably won't be too many HAMS worried about monitoring them. They are the ones that "police" their own frequencies. As for the other freqs, the FCC does monitor them. What their level of interest would be I can't say.

I didn't mean to start a war with the group here. My intent was to give all of you the legal information. Do with it what you will.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can tell you for certain that if you're using a channel you're not supposed to.. A dispatcher somewhere will fuss at you and tell you to switch bands. That's it!

Until you get into the amateur bands. You'll first get a polite warning. After that, the dogs of hell will hunt you down... lol. And those dogs have the equipment to do it.

advertisement
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Image I found this, don't know if it means much, I'm just trying to learn like most of us on here.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I am opening up. I just haven't been completely following all the talk about radios. Hell, I have a hard enough time keeping up with the really cool stuff on here. The frequencies you are using are not HAM freqs, therefore there probably won't be too many HAMS worried about monitoring them. They are the ones that "police" their own frequencies. As for the other freqs, the FCC does monitor them. What their level of interest would be I can't say.

I didn't mean to start a war with the group here. My intent was to give all of you the legal information. Do with it what you will.

I'm not against you ak! Information is key. There is just so little online on this. I was happy to get a legal channel that isn't monitored. Let's composed list of radios if you'd help.
Btw the above information is great

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not against you ak! Information is key. There is just so little online on this. I was happy to get a legal channel that isn't monitored. Let's composed list of radios if you'd help.
Btw the above information is great

I'm attempting to do that right now. I can also do another thread on the benefits of becoming a HAM, and tailor it for how it would benefit this community.

J

JTW

Since we're on a public forum let's try to keep this legal. Let's find compliant radios and get all of the information we can here. Then people can choose.
I get that but I just don't think it's something we need to worry about. And that needs to be made clear. The reason they license people is so they can regulate them... look at illegals for instance. Hell, they jump the southern fence, live off the government and get a slap on the wrist when caught. This is just a NOTHING of an issue unless you are somehow pirating radio or something that will actually have some sort of an impact on something.

NOTE.. not being a prick, I just want it to be noted just how insignificant, channel or choice of unit this is. If it were a problem they wouldn't go after the you or I category of infraction.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 27428 I found this, don't know if it means much, I'm just trying to learn like most of us on here.

This is FRS. The Chinese radios can be programmed for the freqs, included to CTCSS (privacy codes), but I don't know of one Baofeng that is FCC part 95 compliant to be legal on those freqs. It's not a "can it do it" thing. It's a "is this electronic device legal to operate in those freqs" thing.

Also, FRS is limited to .5W

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'm attempting to do that right now. I can also do another thread on the benefits of becoming a HAM, and tailor it for how it would benefit this community.

Being legal as a ham would be incredible as the distance goes up. The dual band radios allow for multiple usage so you could have huge distance and be able to communicate with those on lower wattage. As I've stated prior I'll be getting it this winter.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get that but I just don't think it's something we need to worry about. And that needs to be made clear. The reason they license people is so they can regulate them... look at illegals for instance. Hell, they jump the southern fence, live off the government and get a slap on the wrist when caught. This is just a NOTHING of an issue unless you are somehow pirating radio or something that will actually have some sort of an impact on something.

NOTE.. not being a prick, I just want it to be noted just how insignificant, channel or choice of unit this is. If it were a problem they wouldn't go after the you or I category of infraction.

LOL... I'm not either. Since this is a very public forum and from what I can tell there has been a lot of discussion about radio's and freqs, I thought I would put the information out. I definitely understand your position on liberty, as I feel the same. I've seen your battles with Monte... lol

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Being legal as a ham would be incredible as the distance goes up. The dual band radios allow for multiple usage so you could have huge distance and be able to communicate with those on lower wattage. As I've stated prior I'll be getting it this winter.

You wouldn't believe the cool things that could be done, especially for an event such as the Pioneer Takeover, etc.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

@Hondasxs

Now I need some guidance. Where do you people think I should put this post? I won't be able to do it all at once, therefore I'd like to get as much info into the initial thread as possible before discussion happens. Thoughts?

J

JTW

LOL... I'm not either. Since this is a very public forum and from what I can tell there has been a lot of discussion about radio's and freqs, I thought I would put the information out. I definitely understand your position on liberty, as I feel the same. I've seen your battles with Monte... lol
Lmao.. I'm not trying to argue with anyone on this... and I appreciate your and CP's accurate info.. I just don't want to see folk like me that are buying, spend more money than they should or buy a product that won't preform (and possibly get them hurt or in a bad situation) because they were trying to be too technical on the issue.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!