Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@LandPioneer how did you like the separated mic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: LandPioneer
LandPioneer

LandPioneer

Lifetime Member
Aug 22, 2016
Lebanon TN
Ownership

1. 700-4
@LandPioneer how did you like the separated mic?

I can't imagine not having it. It wasn't the one I thought I was getting initially. My buddy has Amazon prime so he did the ordering. We ended up just getting the cheap mic. I do wish it was louder so I may end up getting a better one. I clipped the Radio and mic overhead and it worked great. Most of the time I would miss the first part of the conversation because of my music. A louder mic would resolve that so it is most likely what I'll do.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You have to get a FCC license to use certain frequencies. The radios can be traced back to you. For me personally, I just follow the rules, it helps me sleep at night. Lol
Also if I remember, once you go through the class you are given a FCC code to use. After that you can program your radio to open up stronger frequencies. You just hook up your radio to the computer with the cord that comes with the radio put in your assigned code and the frequencies open

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Also if I remember, once you go through the class you are given a FCC code to use. After that you can program your radio to open up stronger frequencies. You just hook up your radio to the computer with the cord that comes with the radio put in your assigned code and the frequencies open

Yes and once that's done you can get onto a local repeater and possibly go 100's of miles. Btw it's not illegal to have the radio and even listen in on those channels but you can't legally send. People probably won't come looking for you but my suggestion is to stay off of them until legal. Now that we know there are clear channels to use it's just easier and people won't get upset

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
April will be a lot of fun having communications. We'd even be able to talk to people at camp. It's going to be an expensive weekend anyways I think even if someone got radios just for the event would be worth it.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gentlemen, I hate to rain on this topic, but most of the "china dolls"you are using are not legal to operate on the frequencies you are using. Those frequencies fall into MURS, the Multiple Use Radio System. For those of you using the BaoFeng BF-F8HP, read page 60 of your users manual. The rest of you might want to check your manuals, also (UV5R's etc). Those radios are not FCC Part 95 compliant. This means they cannot legally be used on FRS, GMRS, or MURS. Some of you may have radios that are Part 90 compliant, but those require a license. See below for HAM operation. FRS and MURS do not require a license to operate in those bands, while GMRS and Amateur frequencies (FCC Part 97) do. Also keep in mind that even if your radio is approved to operate on the MURS frequencies, that MURS is limited to 2W transmit power. I would think most of you have yours set to maximum power output.

Keep in mind, it is not necessarily whether you have a license to do what you are doing, but whether the equipment can be used for it.

See here:

Multi-Use Radio Service (MURS)

Also, check out this thread on the RepeaterBook website...

Repeaterbook.com - What is legal, and what is NOT legal for our Chinese radios?

Now, the "china dolls" that are FCC Part 97 compliant (I haven't seen one that isn't) can operate in the amateur (HAM) frequencies, which are the 2M (144 to 148MHz) and the 70cm (420 to 450MHz) bands, but you must have an Amateur Radio License to operate in these bands.

With all that being said, do I think the FCC is going to be out looking for you? Well, it's now in a very public forum. You never know. My suggestion? Spend the time to get your Technician class Amateur license. The you can legally operate these radios across the country on the bands allocated (see above - but you will not be legal to operate them in FRS, GMRS or MURS). You will also not have the power restrictions, and for those of you in really remote areas, if something happens and you can get to a really high peak, you might just be able to summon help, if not on a simplex channel then through a repeater, or even get lucky with some skip.

KL4II

Last edited:
advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The radios only allow wattage for the selection you choose is my understanding. That's why MURS is shorter range then some of the other channels. As far as the radios not being able to use that bandwidth they are dual band and that is part of the programming. It's not illegal to have a radio and listen in to certain frequencies it is to talk on those certain one. I haven't yet seen anything about radio usage with certain frequencies that are acceptable.

Reactions: Dp5hunter and sharp
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The radios only allow wattage for the selection you choose is my understanding. That's why MURS is shorter range then some of the other channels. As far as the radios not being able to use that bandwidth they are dual band and that is part of the programming. It's not illegal to have a radio and listen in to certain frequencies it is to talk on those certain one. I haven't yet seen anything about radio usage with certain frequencies that are acceptable.

You can listen all you want, with whatever you want. As for the frequencies you are using, they are MURS frequencies. Maximum transmit power is 2W. Let's take the BF-F8HP. You get a choice of 1W, 4W, or 8W (7 on UHF). You would have to set it to 1W to be legal on MURS. What I'm really trying to tell you here is the most of the Chinese radios, even if you can tune them to those frequencies, are not FCC Part 95 compliant, therefore they are illegal to use on those frequencies.

Reactions: CashMoney
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was not aware of the radios not being compliant. I'm looking now

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was not aware of the radios not being compliant. I'm looking now

I know it sucks because these little radios are a gem to have. I'm just trying to give everyone the information so they can make their own decision.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I understand and appreciate it ak. I definitely wasn't arguing. I'm looking to see which are good. People could still "listen in" on any radio and that bandwidth is legal.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I understand and appreciate it ak. I definitely wasn't arguing. I'm looking to see which are good. People could still "listen in" on any radio and that bandwidth is legal.

Yes they can. Hell, you can pretty much listen to any open frequency legally, if you have the equipment to do it. Here's some hand held's that are legal to operate on MURS without a license.

The World's FIRST radios cross compatible for GMRS, MURS, Amateur, and Commercial Users

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The radio needs to be part 90 certified and there is a pretty good list here. If you're on a radio that doesn't comply but is under 2w and doesn't make other interference isn't that part legal?

Reactions: Dp5hunter
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The radio needs to be part 90 certified and there is a pretty good list here. If you're on a radio that doesn't comply but is under 2w and doesn't make other interference isn't that part legal?

Part 90 compliance is for commercial radio frequencies. You need a license for those, which is not an amateur (HAM) license. MURS (along with FRS and GMRS) is covered under Part 95. It is legal to operate on those frequencies without a license, but the equipment being used must be Part 95 compliant. "Most" of the Chinese stuff, like Baofeng, is not Part 95 compliant. That is the issue.

Amateur radio is covered under Part 97... for FYI purposes.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!