BOX1

P500 Rattle Mega Thread

PortuguesePioneer

PortuguesePioneer

Jul 24, 2020
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
I'm trying to find whats rattling on my P5 (150 miles). When I search, everyone has other rattles but mine! 😅

Post your rattle and what fixes it, if you've found the fix. Or just let someone know what fixes their rattle. I'll go first.

Somewhere in the back, when I'm cruising and get off the throttle there is a rattle that sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling fast but when I check them they aren't loose at all. Everything seems tight. NO IDEA what it is. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: Smitty335
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I'm trying to find whats rattling on my P5 (150 miles). When I search, everyone has other rattles but mine! 😅

Post your rattle and what fixes it, if you've found the fix. Or just let someone know what fixes their rattle. I'll go first.

Somewhere in the back, when I'm cruising and get off the throttle there is a rattle that sounds like an exhaust heat shield rattling fast but when I check them they aren't loose at all. Everything seems tight. NO IDEA what it is. 🤷‍♂️
The heat shield above the muffler. I used some stick on flashing and it helped.
The plastic piece over the air intake rattles at idle

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Still warranty. With all the shortages who knows how long the wait would be. Don’t want it to sit in the garage
I get that. I think it would be a good idea to get a hold of the dealer and get it approved for repair under warranty. Maybe they can call you when the part is in and you can schedule a repair time slot. That way if parts shortages last longer than your warranty you have an approved repair that they will honor. I'm just spitballin here I just wouldn't want you to be left holding the bag and dealing with an annoying rattle. I hope it goes well for you.

stobiadas

stobiadas

Apr 12, 2021
K0E1X0
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I appreciate that. I’ve been thinking about it and procrastinating. I see guys gutting the mufflers and that crossed my mind…but I kind of like that it’s clean. The rattle does piss me off though. It was far more enjoyable before the problem started.
another thing to put on my to do list, lol

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here is a noob reason that many may not even know about.

The door latch is 2 stage.
The first stage is considered 1/2 shut and it will rattle a lot.
Here, the door will catch in stage 1 with a soft shut.

Stage 2 is the full lock.
This requires a harder push/pull to close. Or a light slam.
Here you will be fully shut and thus be tighter not causing stage 1 rattles.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Harmonic vibration of the heat shield. Fix - don't let off the gas it only goes 38 mph anyway 😁

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I had all sorts of rattles. Worst in order:
  • The ROPS main cage that connects right behind the seat bolts were completely missing on my new Pioneer. Took me about 75 miles to understand what the heck was rattling so much.
  • The skid plate was missing 3 bolts on my new machine. Took me about 25 miles to track down what was banging around.
  • Rear bed latch was mis-aligned and only one side was latching. That took a while to find.
  • Door latch was mis-aligned. Took only a few miles to understand and resolve.
Best of luck! I have no dealer support so hopefully nothing happens to my ride for a long time.

Rob

• Wow
Reactions: Smitty335 and PJ1
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!