P1000 Rear diff lock won't quickly disengage

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a '16 which I bought as new old stock in '18. Everything but the rear diff lock works great. That, however, won't release immediately after shifting back to turf. It is bad enough that I don't use 4wd if I don't HAVE to there is no telling when it may pop out. This was with stock tires, new mudders, and weaving while driving to relieve lock mechanism cross load. I've searched here but not found any similar problem. Is something in the cable or control binding or is there and internal diff lock problem?

Reactions: Isaiah
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The cable linkage that engages and disengages turf mode can be particular, usually after switching to turf mode if you will turn right then left while moving slowly it disengages or so the dash indicator shows such. I had seen mine stay engaged longer than you think it would when driving forward. Does not appear to be any internal issues with differentials.

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have a '16 which I bought as new old stock in '18. Everything but the rear diff lock works great. That, however, won't release immediately after shifting back to turf. It is bad enough that I don't use 4wd if I don't HAVE to there is no telling when it may pop out. This was with stock tires, new mudders, and weaving while driving to relieve lock mechanism cross load. I've searched here but not found any similar problem. Is something in the cable or control binding or is there and internal diff lock problem?
Have you checked the adjustment on the linkage? It's right behind driver side on passanger floor. Pretty simple. I think it was @Russ989 that posted a really good how to video on adjusting it. Really helpful.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Are you basing this off the light or actual turf/2wd? The lock mechanism is a lot more tolerant then the light switch. There's a bunch of post on how to set it right where the light works in conjunction.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are you basing this off the light or actual turf/2wd? The lock mechanism is a lot more tolerant then the light switch. There's a bunch of post on how to set it right where the light works in conjunction.
It is the actual diff that isn't unlocking. It is apparent in steering and suddenly there is a pop not in relation to a turn, the X goes open and free steering returns. As a result, I refrain from using 4WD any more than I have to.

I have seen the adjustment post but this seemed to be something deeper as in a binding slide collar, gummed up cable or the like.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Seems like it isnt in the right position for when its in turf mode. Aka not fully disengaging. Thats what the pop sound is. Just needs to be set correctly.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have the P1K's been known for faulty factory adjustment? It has disengaged correctly since new. Figured the 2 years sitting on a dealer lot had something to do with it.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
The big reds, 700s 500s 1000s. Have all had issues. All are subject to little adjustment differences. You might get one that just happens to sit perfect. Then your buddy might have to adjust everything. The quality control really is kinda slack in that department.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I recall the adjustment thread but can't find it. Can anyone post a link or maybe even make it a sticky as this seems to be a common problem. I'm working on it tonight and quickly tried to find it to no avail.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure if anyone has actually done a video of it. Every post iv seen was more just words and maybe 1 or 2 pics. And the manual was sited. Then again i havent looked at youtube any.

wrwtexan

wrwtexan

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2016
Northeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll watch that but I remember someone had posted pics of the combiner box where the shift cables interact and the adjustments are made. Thanks!

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just adjusted mine yesterday and it seems to work pretty good now. I will say a little adjustment goes ALONG ways. I initially increased my 2 forward cables 2 full turns of the nut and the rear center cable 4 turns. I looked like they were in the right place in the box but I couldn't seem to get it to unlock. I finally adjusted the front cables each 1 turn from my initial start and the rear center cable to 2 turns. It works as it should now. Just move it a little and give it a try.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The video is very helpful for visualizing the procedure, but mine wouldn’t work correctly setting it like that (even though that’s how the manual instructs as well). When I had the middle cable tightened up to the indicator line where it’s supposed to be, it was too tight. That was obvious when I switched to turf mode and the middle pin was hitting the back of the housing the pins ride in, not letting it go back as far as it needed to. I actually had to adjust it out more than I thought I would to get it to stop hitting, but it works perfectly now. Like someone has said before, every machine is different and some need a little more fiddling despite what the standard is supposed to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!